Author Topic: Break in?  (Read 4879 times)

SLEEZ

Break in?
« on: December 04, 2003, 04:11:32 AM »
I was wondering the best way to break in the 500. On my 250, I would do a 5 min warm up and complete cool down. Another warm up with light ride(no wide open rips). Another light ride and that would be it. Never had any problems. The shop I bought the 500 from recommended light riding nothing over 3/4 throttle for two tanks of gas.
I know not to run a synthetic pre mix during break in, I have always used Yamalube during break in(but is a semi syn.) What pre mix are you guys using during break in?

leewinsor

Break in?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 03:52:20 AM »
Yes, What IS the best/proper way to beat in a 500? All the manual says is to "Avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration". Any one with any info?

Lee W

Sharc

Break in?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 05:09:52 AM »
20 min ride, cool til the cylinder feels cool, 20 min ride, cool again, run it easy for 2 more gallons, then punch it...!!  Easy throttle, not too low, not too high during break in.  Dont short shift, and dont stay at one RPM very log - up and down the RPM range smooth and easy....Dont be timid, just dont make it pull too hard or too high...

I use Golden Spectro at 50:1 - never had a problem in 20 years so I'm afraid to switch...

sdkx500

Break in?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 12:57:58 PM »
Question!...
Why should you not use fully synthetic pre-mix when breaking in a new motor?? I got a '04 that hasn't been broken in yet and I've already bought some Royal Purple TCW 3 pre mix for it.

Fookeneh

Break in?
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 02:29:52 PM »
^ not enough friction to break in the rings properly.

Offline KXcam22

Break in?
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 10:01:27 AM »
Interresting point! I always break in my 2-stroke engines using the same synthetic Belray I normally use with no problems.....however, I just broke in a new motor in my truck and specifically used non-synthetic oil so the rings would seat.  I never considered this for a 2-stroke. I wonder what is best??  Cam.

Offline KXcam22

Break in?
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 10:05:32 AM »
I just gave it some thought.  I think the difference might be the amount of fuel wash on the cylinder walls (more prevents glazing during breakin).  A 2-stroke ought to have lots. Cam.

sdkx500

Break in?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 03:59:32 PM »
So, what you're all saying is to not use synthetic mix but, rather use the good ol' cheap stuff for the first couple rides. I really don't want to screw my new motor!!!

Fookeneh

Break in?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 07:19:14 PM »
I would use regular oil for break-in. That is the industry standard. :)

sdkx500

Break in?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2004, 02:40:49 AM »
ummm.....something is screwed up I didnt make that post[ quote]
So, what you're all saying is to not use synthetic mix but, rather use the good ol' cheap stuff for the first couple rides. I really don't want to screw my new motor!!!
[/quote]

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Break in?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 02:50:23 AM »
Since I've ever had a two stroke, I've broken them in with synthetic. I've never had a seziure so far, except fort a rod bearing falling apart after six years of service. I broke my K5 in with Klotz SuperTech without problems. Maybe luck, I've never heard of not using synthetic, as I've used it for years. News to me. :-)

Offline KXcam22

Break in?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 03:05:58 AM »
I have to agree with Gowen.  I have broken in bikes with regular 32:1 mineral oil and with my usual Belray 60:1 synthetic, and in both cases broken them down later.  I'll stick with the synthetic.  With mineral oil, I recall the occasional mild seizure on a high spot; tear it down to poilish it up.  Never happens with synthetic. Cam.

Gabe, how are the bones healing?

Rick

Break in?
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004, 08:00:32 AM »
Yup, used synthetic for years with nary a problem...

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Break in?
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004, 08:14:52 AM »
Quote from: KXcam22
I have to agree with Gowen.  I have broken in bikes with regular 32:1 mineral oil and with my usual Belray 60:1 synthetic, and in both cases broken them down later.  I'll stick with the synthetic.  With mineral oil, I recall the occasional mild seizure on a high spot; tear it down to poilish it up.  Never happens with synthetic. Cam.

Gabe, how are the bones healing?

Slowly  :(

But I'm enjoying the time to fix up the bikes and make sure they are all ready for the go day. BTW, got a KX green cast.  8)