Author Topic: Ignition problem?  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Green Fiend

Ignition problem?
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum. Been creeping for a long time. Have always owned a kx. 125s 250s and always wanted a 500. Well finally got one. Now I really need your help. Went over the whole bike, replacing any part that had any wear. Good compression, new plug, new pipe, new reeds. Took it to local Kawasaki dealership, they went through the carb rejetted it. They told me it had intermittent spark. That's funny cause bike ran decent when I took it there. I know anything is possible. Anyway when I took it out today it ran good for a while
2011 Service KX500AF, 2005 KX250, 2004 KX500, 2011 YZF450, 2011 KTMSX50 Mini, 2009 ZX10R

Offline delphipro5

Re: Ignition problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »
what do you mean by "a while"?? You can search in here and find all the info about your ign. and test everything you can with an ohm meter.  :roll: Sounds like you need a new CDI, but don't quote me on that! :lol: Maybe you should look into the ignition system that is in the for sale section. $$ though!!
But, probably worth it. :wink:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:36:02 PM by delphipro5 »

Offline Green Fiend

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
Ran good for a while, pulled the clutch in and it stalled. Not so much stalled as just died. Gave it a few kicks started up again ran for a few minutes, through jumps and rough terrain when I pulled the clutch again And it died. Would try to start but die immediately. Then after a few minutes it would start run again and die. It was very sporadic. Dealer said it's probably the stator. Seem more simple to me. Any suggestions? Really am glad to be part of. This is a great site. Look foward to getting to know you guys.
2011 Service KX500AF, 2005 KX250, 2004 KX500, 2011 YZF450, 2011 KTMSX50 Mini, 2009 ZX10R

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 03:40:20 PM »
Sounds strange, maybe a stator problem... I know that kawa put out 9-out of-10 stator coils out of spec. from the factory. Mine being one of them. Ask -Kaw rider- what he thinks. ( he will prob. tell you to send it to him to fix it. :-D ) He is the YODA of all things K5! :wink:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:41:58 PM by delphipro5 »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:07:58 AM »
Ran good for a while, pulled the clutch in and it stalled. Not so much stalled as just died. Gave it a few kicks started up again ran for a few minutes, through jumps and rough terrain when I pulled the clutch again And it died. Would try to start but die immediately. Then after a few minutes it would start run again and die. It was very sporadic. Dealer said it's probably the stator. Seem more simple to me. Any suggestions? Really am glad to be part of. This is a great site. Look foward to getting to know you guys.

OK, why did the dealer you took your bike to "rejet" the carb, and not fully diagnose and repair the "stator" issue ?

Also what is "good" compression ? We need a hard psi # to help remember we are reading your description and not riding your bike. It is extremly tough when you describe your engine as "it runs i pull the clutch in and it dies". We need a lot more details...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 01:10:28 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 01:13:50 AM »

OK, why did the dealer you took your bike to "rejet" the carb, and not fully diagnose and repair the "stator" issue ?

Also what is "good" compression ? We need a hard psi # to help remember we are reading your description and not riding your bike. It is extremly tough when you describe your engine as "it runs i pull the clutch in and it dies". We need a lot more details...

+1

Offline Green Fiend

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
I do apologize, it is pretty hard to explain it all. The reason I didn't have my dealer finish diagnosing the problem is quite honestly I didn't have much faith in them. They called me and told me it wouldn't start, that they had bad news. I stopped by and started it on the very first kick. They didn't have somebody that could start the beast. They showed me some kid in the back with a goose egg on his leg that looked like a softball! Told him it takes a man to start a K5! I took it apart today and it looks like the previous owner(original) had been fooling around with the wiring under the tank. There is no telling what's been going on!    I really appreciate you guys time, I think it needs some serious diagnostics. Think I'm going to take it to a dealership couple towns over. Have them do a full test on all systems. Came too far to turn back now! PS there is a black philips head screw in the top of the head. Is this normal? Seems out of place. Had a lot of bikes, never saw that. Oh yeah it's a 2004. Thanks guys, sorry for killing your time. I really do appreciate your responses.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 04:53:15 AM »
save your time and money and we here can walk you thru it here.  Do you have a electrial meter.

Offline Green Fiend

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 06:20:18 AM »
I do.

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 07:13:13 AM »
I think the clutch cable is rubbing against the statoe wire and cause some issue there. and when you pull the clutch in cause it the move the stator wire hardness and then it dies. pull the plug and kick it over and see if it has a great spark.

Offline Green Fiend

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:57 AM »
It's funny you say that, I think that's exactly what's happening. Took gas tank off earlier and the last guy had the clutch cable and stator wires underneath the white plastic sheath. They were actually rubbing into the frame not through the wires, but you could see they had alot of pressure on them he also had them tied together. I might be wrong but it looks like the wires go in that white sheath. That's where I put them, like it was meant to be. Put the clutch cable where it can have play and move free. Wasn't going to try it today, but that's insane you came up with that, I wasn't sure seemed too simple, but then again seemed to be something simple all along. I'm going to take it out now. I'll let you know. Can't wait.

Offline Green Fiend

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »
I'm sorry I meant the throttle cable was tied together with the stator wires under the seat. I thought about that on the way to the park. Clutch cable was clear except where it rubbed into the radiator bracket. Taped that up. Got to the park and couldn't get it to fire at all. I hate electrical problems!

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 10:06:56 AM »
check for spark if it don't start.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:14 PM »
Chiilllll out, just go through it step by step. The ignition in this bike is like three parts, so it's not too complicated. Ohm out what you can to see if anything is fried, check all your wires and connectors, Ect. There is a lot of stuff on here that can help you, use the search tool. BUT FIRST, do what kaw said and pull the plug, have your buddy hold it, kick it over good, and see how good and strong your spark is. That is your first indicator. Screw the dealership, it's a waste of $$ and gas getting the bike there! BEST $$ spent is on the service manual,  www.repairmanual.com they got em all. And don't be scared to tear into it... you can always fix what you break :lol: look around on here, ask some questions. but check your spark first, KAW knows what hes talkin about. I think he might be trying to walk you through it! :wink:

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 12:47:09 PM »
Chiilllll out, just go through it step by step. The ignition in this bike is like three parts, so it's not too complicated. Ohm out what you can to see if anything is fried, check all your wires and connectors, Ect. There is a lot of stuff on here that can help you, use the search tool. BUT FIRST, do what kaw said and pull the plug, have your buddy hold it, kick it over good, and see how good and strong your spark is. That is your first indicator. Screw the dealership, it's a waste of $$ and gas getting the bike there! BEST $$ spent is on the service manual,  www.repairmanual.com they got em all. And don't be scared to tear into it... you can always fix what you break :lol: look around on here, ask some questions. but check your spark first, KAW knows what hes talkin about. I think he might be trying to walk you through it! :wink:

PM sent !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart