Author Topic: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE, PART 2 - FINAL ASSEMBLY  (Read 24557 times)

Offline delphipro5

Re: MONUMENT TO THE 2-STROKE, PART 2 - FINAL ASSEMBLY
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:56:42 PM »
Unfortunatley, some coners may get cut. I have been busy with work and I have little time. I really want to get this thing ridable this season. I have a riding get-together in sept. to bring it to, And would like it broken in by then! Doin my best, more pics soon!

Motorrad

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 03:04:22 PM »
Cutting corners is never good...

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 03:57:03 PM »
For instance I am not going to replace the rear brake pads just because I want them to say renthal on them!! The ones that are in the caliper now are fine. bareley worn at all. So there is one coner cut! It's things like that I mean. Or respoking the wheels just cuz the spokes have brake dust and minor surface corrosion on them... things like that I mean.... Gotta reign in my anal if I ever want this thing done! Can always fix it in the winter. Thinking new rims with street slicks on em! :-o :evil: :-o now that sounds like fun! NEXT YEAR~!

Not sure why the frame looks so baby blue in the pics. It's a lot darker in person.

Gettin somewhere!

Offline sniper1

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 06:05:09 PM »
        It looks fantastic delphi and I don't ever see myself tearing the bike down like that but hats off to those who can do it I will have to outsource a few things from suspension to internal engine work this winter :(

Are the triple clamps stock angle? just wondering what benefit the aftermarket clamps give besides looking awesome.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 04:16:03 AM »
Wow, a K5 frame that still has the upper pipe mount tab in tact ? Are you  $hitting me ? Now that's a VIRGIN frame.... (or already been repair welded)    :-D
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »
Yeah, this thing was well taken care of! Came apart like butter, didnt have to force a thing! Unfortunatley, the pipe cracked before the mount did! :lol:
O.K. Been busy and weather has been awesome, so I have been spending any free time in the day riding the KLX on the street, LOTS of fun. BUT I have been doing my best to provide some eye candy for you guys, so here goes :

Everything has been going together nice! looks balls out. The brakes came out great and I have a spare set of calipers I will rework in the meantime. Did not get a good shot of the speed bleeders on the forks, but they are there. Everythings going smooth at this point! :wink: I have really been trying to go over this thing with "a fine tooth comb" as I assemble, to make sure it is done correctly. And I am beginning to gain some confidence that I actually know what I am doing here! Cant wait to get my muff back from bristol pack and yell thru it to see if any sound comes out the other side!  :lol:

I have been dreaming up a build like this for over 14 years. I am so happy to see it happening! 8-)
By the way, the only gain in the aftermarket clamps is they are a little stiffer in fork torsion. And look wild. :-D

Next up- Carb. work, airbox, and subframe/ kickstand.
Then- Radiators and hoses, and electricals/ cables, controls.
Last- Body panels, tank, seat, and Stickers! :roll:

:evil: FIRE THIS BEAST FROM THE EAST UP  :evil:

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »
I Have some info about this Carb.
 It is a C.P.W. 39.5mm PWK.
 C.P.W. supposedly does the carbs. for service hondas 500's And this is supposedly set up the same as those carbs are. So I gave it a look today and this is what I found:

39.5 PWK
SLIDE= #7
Needle= DE K
Clip position= 3rd down from top of needle
MAIN= #170
SLOW= #85  !!CORRECTION!! = #58 (06/10/11)
AIRSCREW= Out one turn. (not even a full turn out really!)
Fuel level= 2mm ABOVE float bowl mating surface.

Now here are the stock settings from the manual.
39mm PWK
Slide, they call it throttle valve cutaway= #7
Needle= N82M
Clip Position= 3rd down from top of needle
MAIN= #168
SLOW= #58
AIRSCREW= 2 full turns out
Fuel level= 1mm BELOW float bowl mating surface.

I just figured I would relay this information to see what you thought might not be set right on the carb. The fuel level seems to be high to me.

Check out my fuel level test jig:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:44:26 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 02:25:31 PM »
        Looks fantastic delphi!
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »
Looking Good Amigo!
You have lot's of goodies I would like to have that's for sure. :-D
   There is a Team Green Jetting chart (around here somewhere) that has been an excellent place to start if you didn't
start with the stock jets.  (I'll look and post back on that)  I'm defineatly no tuner, but a #68 pilot ?
  Maybe they thought you were running alcohol at the Ice Races :|
     You'll have her up and running in no time at this pace.
    Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
Looking Good Amigo!
You have lot's of goodies I would like to have that's for sure. :-D
   There is a Team Green Jetting chart (around here somewhere) that has been an excellent place to start if you didn't
start with the stock jets.  (I'll look and post back on that)  I'm defineatly no tuner, but a #68 pilot ?
  Maybe they thought you were running alcohol at the Ice Races :|
     You'll have her up and running in no time at this pace.
    Tuck\o/

Not a #68 pilot, an #85 ! stock is saying #58 (CORRECTION: IT'S A #58, 06/10/11)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:45:47 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline sniper1

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »
         I bet you can almost feel that first ride approaching fast :) I hate waiting for parts and fab work but it's worth it in the end.

Offline alward25

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 02:11:27 PM »
A #85 pilot is huge!!!  I could see a lot of fouled plugs with it and a lot of splooj out the tail pipe.
"Let there be light"

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 06:12:46 AM »
I sent them a message and they said they put a #55 in. but I looked again today with a magnifier and Beyond a reasonable doubt it says "(star) 8 5 ".....
That is an #85 jet! I think they made a mistake. Now I have to do carb. settings before I go any further. Poopie :x  Need a little time....
O.K. I just talked to him on the phone and he says that it is a #55 jet? He has run the company for 30 years and has never had an #85 jet in the wherehouse... Well my eyes do not often decive me and it says #85 so it must be a misprint or a mistake.... He said the airscrew will be different for every bike so I guess I will dial that later.....And he did not seem to care about the fuel level being high...... I don't get it... I really don't.... should I at least bring the fuel level down??? :???? craphole. I got some figurin to do!

Oh yeah, I think my steering damper is crap too.... so that is going back to scotts to be looked at.

And just for the F#@K of it I called falicon to see where they put the balance factor of the crank and the dude told me "somewhere between 55% and 60%"
So at least that sounds right...
Assembly, one step forward two steps back!  :lol: :wink:

!!!!!UPDATE: MY MISTAKE!  #58 SLOW!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:43:12 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
Yea i'm thinking misprint.  There is NO way that engine will start and idle clean with an 85 pilot !   :-o

I run a 55 in the spring and fall, and a 52 in the hot summer.  Correct pilot selection is critical with the big K5 being starting friendly.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 10:33:22 AM »
O.K. UUUMMMM Back Up HE-HE-HE Little mistake :roll: It has a #58 slow... Let me explain, I was looking at the wrong thing due to not having had many of these carbs opened up. (maybe 2 at best!)

This is what I was looking at! (Airjet?? what is this?) it's an #85

#170 Main Jet

And a #58 Slow Jet (he said it was a #55)

SO... My Bad.... just a mistake... just a mix up... I still think I will bring the fuel level down 2mm

I just want it as close as possible before putting it in. I will probably have it in tomorrow.