Author Topic: 2003 KX500 build (Progress Pics)  (Read 13263 times)

Offline greylynn

2003 KX500 build (Progress Pics)
« on: May 02, 2011, 06:26:37 PM »
I did a partial trade on this 2003 KX500 and wanted to do a few mods.  I haven't checked the compression yet, but it seems ok by the feel of the kicker.  I'll check it this weekend when I get the tank and stuff off.  Some of the mods to come are IMS pegs, Plastics, V Force Reeds, complete wheel set up for dunes, rotors, Paddle, torque spacer, grips, and a bunch of OEM stuff to tighten it up.

Anyway, I always wanted to do a progress build and post pics of the transformation.  So here is what it looks like right after I bought it.  (After I removed all the stickers).

And please excuse the mess in my garage, I just moved  :-D

Grey

Here is after I started removing a few things.  These things including the kickstand which I haven't removed yet will be in the for sale section after I hit 10 posts.

Motorrad

Re: 2003 KX500 build (Progress Pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
Ill be watching...

That kickstand is the best thing since sliced bread.... may want to reconsider keeping it..   I just had to shell $150 for one...   and Now that I have it.. Id gladly shell more than that.

EDIT:

Hmm.. Odd.. just noticed you have a RED STICKER....    That shouldnt be...      should be a green stickered bike..

Offline Enduro Addict

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:58:16 AM »
02 and older are green and 03 and up are red.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:52 AM »
+1 on the kickstand.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
That bike will love you long time.  :-D

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »
Looks like it's already done!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline greylynn

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
Yeah, it pretty much was already done, but I can't leave anything stock lol.  It's stripped down to the frame almost now.  I have to find a way to get that top exhaust mount welded.......There are a ton of parts on the way..I'll post pics.

Grey

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:54:53 PM »
Yeah, it pretty much was already done, but I can't leave anything stock lol.  It's stripped down to the frame almost now.  I have to find a way to get that top exhaust mount welded.......There are a ton of parts on the way..I'll post pics.

Grey

IMO, don't loose sleep over the broken exhaust mount. It's a common issue with the KX500's. Mine was broken when I bought my bike back in '05, it's still broke today. There is no need for 3 mounts IMO, but if it really bothers you than have a new mount welded...

FYI, have a GOOD look at the inside of your subframe on the drive chain side, it should be all gouged from the drive chain. This is an issue you need to address. Many of us rivet a piece of sheetmatal or plastic on the inside of the subframe to act as a buffer from the chain. I have a bunch of 1"X6"  teflon strips that work the balls PM me your mailing address and i'll maile you one.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 09:58:18 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline greylynn

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:03:11 AM »

Grey

IMO, don't loose sleep over the broken exhaust mount. It's a common issue with the KX500's. Mine was broken when I bought my bike back in '05, it's still broke today. There is no need for 3 mounts IMO, but if it really bothers you than have a new mount welded...

FYI, have a GOOD look at the inside of your subframe on the drive chain side, it should be all gouged from the drive chain. This is an issue you need to address. Many of us rivet a piece of sheetmatal or plastic on the inside of the subframe to act as a buffer from the chain. I have a bunch of 1"X6"  teflon strips that work the balls PM me your mailing address and i'll maile you one.

Thanks for the info, I really don't want to pay out the rear to fix the weld, I'll have to see how much it will cost me.  I didn't see any gouging on my subframe, can you post pics of where you are talking about?

Grey

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 03:56:06 AM »

Grey

Thanks for the info, I really don't want to pay out the rear to fix the weld, I'll have to see how much it will cost me.  I didn't see any gouging on my subframe, can you post pics of where you are talking about?

Grey

I archived my post years ago that showed my mod but the imageshack pics are no good anymore. I'll try to find the pics in my computer. Here's another post I found:

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2492.0.html

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,1533.0.html

Here's some really great tips :
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,434.0.html
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 04:08:38 AM »
I Use a piece of stainless bent at a 90Deg Rivited on to mine...

As it looks good...  (Im alittle wierd when it comes to looks..).

stainles gets HARDER the more its rubbed on by the chain too... (anyone who has drilled stainless knows how this works)

Those are extra holes drilled in the stainless only... I put them in there incase I needed them later...

Offline greylynn

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:48 AM »
 I'm tempted to just leave the mount on top broken, but I just don't like the idea......Hard to find a welder in my location that won't rip me off.

Grey

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:42 AM »
I'm tempted to just leave the mount on top broken, but I just don't like the idea......Hard to find a welder in my location that won't rip me off.

Grey

Id weld it for free if you were in my area.  :roll:

If you find the right guy. they will weld somthing that easy for lunch or a case of beer..   Just make sure you take the CDI off the bike before you take it to get welded...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 04:14:42 AM by Motorrad »

Offline greylynn

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 07:10:36 AM »

Grey

Id weld it for free if you were in my area.  :roll:

If you find the right guy. they will weld somthing that easy for lunch or a case of beer..   Just make sure you take the CDI off the bike before you take it to get welded...

Thanks for the offer!  I took it to a place in town, gonna be $35 with the nut welded on the back, and beefed up so he says.  While it's stripped down is the time to do it anyway.  I don't think I would have lost sleep, but I would have tossed and turned lol I'll post pics tonight.....

Grey

Offline littlewing78

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
I like that guard for sub frame.  I need to do that to mine.  I'd keep that kickstand if I were you. But If you are selling it I might be interested.