Author Topic: Gearing Changes  (Read 2446 times)

Offline Big Yac

Gearing Changes
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:31:07 AM »
I am needing some new sprockets and a chain.  I am going with a Tsubaki O-ring chain and Renthal sprockets.  I will most likely go with the stock gearing as its worked fine for me.  I wonder though, what are the effects of changing sprocket sizes either larger or smaller on the rear and how many teeth would I have to go to notice a difference, would 1 tooth change how the power feels or would I need to go like 3 teeth before noticing?  I can tell you I will not go smaller on the back because I do alot of woods riding, so if I go larger would it let me use the lower gears more or what?  I've never changed gearing on any of my bikes.  Thanks.

Offline Good

• Yo.
Re: Gearing Changes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:36 AM »
14-50 is what I have run in the past and is what I will run in the future.  It has more "out of the gate" acceleration and less top speed than stock gearing.  I ride mostly dunes and dirt sections. 

I like what Motorrad has done in having a real high 1st through 4th with a fat overdrive gear in his transmission for top end (I think it was you Motorrad, if not, forgive me) and I would like to do the same.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:37:04 AM »
I am needing some new sprockets and a chain.  I am going with a Tsubaki O-ring chain and Renthal sprockets.  I will most likely go with the stock gearing as its worked fine for me.  I wonder though, what are the effects of changing sprocket sizes either larger or smaller on the rear and how many teeth would I have to go to notice a difference, would 1 tooth change how the power feels or would I need to go like 3 teeth before noticing?  I can tell you I will not go smaller on the back because I do alot of woods riding, so if I go larger would it let me use the lower gears more or what?  I've never changed gearing on any of my bikes.  Thanks.

Many of us bump  the rear sprocket from 47 to 49T. This allows for some more "forgiving" 1st gear low speed drivability in the woods. If you just like to "play" generall riding, the stock gearing is fine.  I have both sprocket sets to use, it all depends on what I intend to do.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline awak100

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
Again gear down.  13-49.  Let me ask you this?  How often do you go 75-80 mph on your bike and for how long?  If you dont hit those speeds very often, once a month.  Then gear down.  Its free hp

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 10:48:57 AM »
Again gear down.  13-49.  Let me ask you this?  How often do you go 75-80 mph on your bike and for how long?  If you dont hit those speeds very often, once a month.  Then gear down.  Its free hp

75-80.  Most of the time

80-90.  More often than not

90-100. See above

100-110. Yep.

115.  That's when I chicken out

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 12:27:22 AM »
14-42.  And thats 90 mph - 100 mph  all day long.  But wait, thats only once or twice a month.  Do I need to gear down?  How much free hp will I gain?  Please enlighten me.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline awak100

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 12:45:31 AM »
Ok guys if you run those kind of speeds, you got me.  Around here Wyoming most of the time, corners, washes, something comes up really fast, even with 13-49 gears.  The few times on a clear open road,I'll top out.  I'm not a road rider.  Usually I'm cutting across sage brush up a hill down into a valley,  I guess just rougher terrain.  Thats why I gear down alot.  And I like to hillclimb quite a bit.  Again the low gearing helps alot.  This is a stock bike, no extensions I'm takeing about. I climb in 3rd gear. most people climb in 2nd.   On my hillclimb bike, its the opposite.  I like tall gears 14-47 (stock gearing)  the reason is I built the motor for torque not rpm.  The bike hooks up better (like a new style 4 stroke 450) with motor built for torque, tall gears.  Plus its alot more controlled power, its not that crazy explosion power.  For me it helps me keep my lines going up a hill. And I dont have to use my clutch as much going up the hill.  Its easier for me.  I love kx 500's but the only thing to an extent I dont like is that is that crazy hit, its fun buuuuuut, at times gets me in trouble sometimes.  I build most my bikes for torque.  why?  Thats what 500's are all about torque I use it.  Its like a big block chevy verses a small block.  One torque one rpm.  I do have a 1986 and for some reason its an rpm bike, it pulls like a 2 stroke 125.  Hard hitting magnum type.  Still fun though at times.  But for all around rideing I like torque.  And no you dont actually gain hp by gear changes.  But you do it one time 14-47 to 13-49 youll see what I'm talking about.  Ride with stock gearing then come back and make the change.  Some people like it some dont. It works for me. I use all 5 of my gears not just the 1st 3 gears.  Thats why I gear down. 

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »
I ride (well, used to...) sand and tech desert and like 14/50.