Author Topic: Carb / Reed Mods  (Read 1754 times)

Offline bigbore

Carb / Reed Mods
« on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

I finally got out for a few spins after getting my head back off larry. The decomp works a treat for starting it.

However i noticed the power is a bit slow to come on in the low revs, heard this a common thing. Mid revs and high revs are wild tho! Most of the riding i do is low speed, low gear riding so would like some extra torque in the lower revs.

I have been on the mxsouth.com site and im considering getting the following parts to help the low end torque / power.

-Moose Racing Torque / Reed Spacer
-Boyesen power reeds
-Power Now- (basically same as a Boyesen Power wing)

All the above will be going into a completely stock 1988 kx 500.

I was just wondering if putting these in together is a good idea or will 1 act against the other? also im not planning to change the exhaust yet.

Any comments or advise appreciated  :-D

Thanks guys.

Motorrad

Re: Carb / Reed Mods
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:59:41 AM »
What pipe you running?

Have you advanced the timing? That's a free low end booster

Offline bigbore

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
its a stock original pipe. no i have not touched the timing. does it really help by advancing it?

also do i move the stator plate forward or backward to advance the timing?

thanks again.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
as motorrad said, advancing the ignition is a free one.remove flywheel, release stator screws and rotate plate to the right,(clockwise, so it lines with the leftmost timing mark), no further.for cheap low and mid boost, try a thinner head gasket, making sure you dont have contact issues before you run it.if your motor is stock you should be ok.havent used a reed spacer, but an fmf gnarly torque pipe (020055)is the one to go for.hth.K.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:45:55 PM by kwakman »
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....