Author Topic: Are your bearing journals worn out on your crank cases?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Are your bearing journals worn out on your crank cases?
« on: March 31, 2011, 04:20:29 AM »
I happen to run into a guy I use to work with at a chrome shop a few years back.
He started his own business repairing industrial machinery.
We were talking about the different problems we run into in our businesses.
I mentioned the problem a lot of K5 owners run into when they go to rebuild their engine and discover worn out bearing journals for the main bearings on the crank.
Because his process does not submerse the parts he can and does plate the OD of the bearings.
http://www.o-e-m.net/index.html
So, if the journals are a little out of spec and are symmetrical this process would be great.
If they are a little more worn or non- symmetrical then the journals would have to be ground or machined to clean up and then the bearing would be plated.
I am getting together a price list for what this sort of service would cost if anybody is interested in it.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: Are your bearing journals worn out on your crank cases?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:58:54 AM »
thats really cool. looks like they give new life to alot of industrial parts that would otherwise have been scrapped. i could see alot of use for this in many areas.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:23:41 AM »
COST :?

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:17:01 AM »
I am interested, I have a set of KX250 cases that spun the bearing in the journal. Although it has to be cost effective, a new set of 250 cases dont cost too much.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »
I don't know the cost yet as I just sent him some info today and told him that I wasn't in a big hurry.
The best thing to do is to go to his website and send him the info (Bearing diameter and width).
That way he can be accurate in his quote.
His name is Chuck.
http://www.o-e-m.net/index.html
I asked him about K5 cranks so I should have that info fairly soon.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »
I am interested, I have a set of KX250 cases that spun the bearing in the journal. Although it has to be cost effective, a new set of 250 cases dont cost too much.
I remember there was a company that used to repair the cases when they wore out.  Dont remember who, at the moment, but they bored it and fitted a sleeve in there.  Not even sure how well it was but definately cheaper than cases.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »
D@mn you oldguy, I've been racking my brain for a month and you already had the answer.  (should've known)

http://www.rb-designs.com/

We also do engine case repairs to damaged main bearing bores.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »
no he don't if it has iron journals in it. he will Only do if it came from factory without iron journals

email from ron

Hi Paul,

After looking at the pic?s, I do not think I can help you out. The fact that it already has a insert and the insert does not look that thick, so the new sleeve would be very thin and the existing insert would be pretty tine after boring it out.

The type of repairs I do are for cases that did not have a insert to begin with and my new sleeve would need to be almost as thick as the one in your cases now.

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:34:01 PM by kaw rider »