Author Topic: Surging Issues (I know not this again....)  (Read 2133 times)

Offline Airtime70

Surging Issues (I know not this again....)
« on: April 21, 2011, 06:54:51 AM »
Hello,

I have been through the numerous surging topics and just want to clarify if the problem I am experiencing is indeed surging. All of the references I see to surging have been chopping the throttle from WOT in a long straightaway (some load on the motor once the throttle is chopped). My issue that I have is when hitting a jump WOT, the motor never idles down after you chop the throttle. I also have the same issue if I blip the throttle in the air, the motor just revs very high and does not come back down to idle. I was just curious if this is indeed just a simple "surging" issue, or possibly something a little different like an air leak. Maybe someone has also had this issue in the past?

If it is indeed surging, what are your suggestions to fix the problem, richen it up slightly? I am not overly concerned with losing a little power in order to make the bike more ridable since I race mostly MX. 

The motor is a 94 KX500 all stock in 2007 KX250 Frame.

Thanks for your help.

Offline kxpegger

Re: Surging Issues (I know not this again....)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:59:49 AM »
Idle and air screw adjustment took care of my surging problem. If this doesn't help then your going to have to start digging deeper. There's a "Team Green" jetting chart floating around here somewhere which also got me in the ballpark for some other tuning issues I was having.
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 02:33:22 AM »
My 500 surges with bone stock pig rich jetting and pump fuel, and my 500 surges with crisp leaner jetting and race fuel..... (I do think the surging lessens as you lean out the jetting, but mine has never gone away completely.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Rider1958

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 03:49:47 AM »
 One time I had a surging issue with my WR426, found the cure to be lowering the needle one notch (leaning it out slightly). Not saying I'm positive this is your fix, but if you're wondering what to try you might experiment with needle clip positions......

Offline greencannon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:08:05 AM »
If the jetting thing doesnt work for you then i would see if an oversized float bowl from Boyeson is available. Your motor could be starving for fuel on occasion, over whoops, jumping and after WOT runs...
My K5 had same problem when it was new. With age and years of tinkering it is now almost non-existent.
I thnk the biggest problem today is the "mystery fuel" we get from the evil energy giants...