Author Topic: Frame Question  (Read 1777 times)

Offline dmazz71

Frame Question
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:40:34 AM »
Hi,

How do you tell if the frame is bent or twisted on a 03 KX500?  Is it uncommon for these steel frames to bend?  I put the bike on a bike stand and it looked like it may be leaning to one side.  The bottom frame tubes are in great shape and are not dented or crushed.

The bike seems to track straight and doesn't seem to pull, but I would like to be sure before I start spending a bunch of money on wheels, engine mods etc.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:45:45 AM by dmazz71 »

Offline Enduro Addict

Re: Frame Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 01:55:44 PM »
I would check the sub-frame to see if it is bent.  I have a buddy that every KX500 that he had he bent the sub-frame on it.

Offline greencannon

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »
yup.  take subframe off and have another look....the subframe gets tweaked rather easily
Do your engine mounting holes and tabs line up nice ?? im sure it would take quite a tumble to twist up the main frame. its hard to tell how straight anyways... the K5 frame is not visualy symetrical anyways

Offline dmazz71

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I took the rear fender off and took a look at the engine mounting holes.  Everything seems to line up.  I think that the issue is just what greencannon said, the frame isn't visually symmetrical.

Now it's time to order up some new wheels.

Thanks