Author Topic: 32:1 40:1 or 50:1 for trails??  (Read 3528 times)

Offline ndekens

32:1 40:1 or 50:1 for trails??
« on: May 10, 2012, 03:46:58 AM »
So I have just finished fixing up a 99 kx 250 in order to use it for trails. I had a 2003 kx 250 that I rode and ran 40:1 in but it just puked out the exhaust all over my garage all the time. Didnt know at the time to repack an clean out the silencer. with my 99 kx I have gone through everything including cleaning out the pipe and silencer! Currently its running at 40:1 and im starting to get some dribbles out the back. I do use this bike to put around in low gear with the boys a lot so im wondering if that is just the issue since im jetted correctly. Would switching to 50:1 and rejetting help with the dribbling out the pipe? If so is it safe for trails I dont want to lock up my motor.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 32:1 40:1 or 50:1 for trails??
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »
40:1 should be good,most of the guys are running that(or very close),including myself.You say you're jetted correctly,but you should let us know what you have for jetting to better assist you.Is your top end in good condition....a weak set of rings/top end will cause this too.

I'm running 168 main,2nd from top on the needle,and 55 pilot....it runs quite crisp/snappy.I generally run in the midrange most of the time,and rarely wring it out wide open for any length of time.....and I get next to nothing for spooge leaking anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:15:31 AM by Foxx4Beaver »
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ndekens

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »
im running 162 main, needle 2nd clip, and i believe a 52 or 42 pilot. The problem is I have to put put for the kids which means im constantly at or near idle with the occasional blipping of the throttle to clear out the bike. Im geared 12:51 and running a flywheel weight. If pull the plug after running normal speed it looks fine. Bike runs fine and I dont have any stuttering or anything else and it starts first or second kick. I just was wondering if I run 50:1 will it help with the oil drool I get out the end of the pipe when riding around with the kids?

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 01:56:44 AM »
you are right...the problem is just "puttin around".2 strokes are'nt really meant to run at really slow speeds for a long period of time...because they do load up.If you think about it for a second,how often do you run a chain saw,or weed whacker at slow speeds?....very rarely cause they load up.You can try 50:1,but you're also gonna make it run a little richer by doing that,(because less oil means the fuel is gonna flow more easily)..so you'd probably have to re-jet even leaner...and you're already jetted quite lean.
I know you might not want to hear it....but you may want to consider a four stroker for those days "puttin around" with the kids  :?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline ndekens

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 02:04:20 AM »
Or I can just leave the boys in my dust and tell them to catch up!............maybe I will try to 44:1 and fiddle with the jetting some more. I do have a 96 first gear I can throw in there and just run super low with the kids....dont really want to split the cases now since I had so much trouble fiddleing with the screwball clutch the previous owner had in there.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 05:10:19 AM »
Or I can just leave the boys in my dust and tell them to catch up!

haha....just make sure you give them a couple good catchers mitts for all those boulders you'll be launching towards them!!... :-o