Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 220024 times)

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
Nice! I dont care how long it takes me to unwrap it! As long as it arrives working. and Motorrad I will make sure. Thanks everyone.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2011, 03:55:22 PM »
Hey guys,

when I receive the engine and carb and stuff back from tuck, what should I do? Ill throw the engine in the bike and connect everything, fill the oil and coolant, pour some gas in, and kick? Also if it starts how do I ware the rings in right? Thats the thing Im mostly scared about next to carb issues...thanks.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
I made a good post on it somewhere... I'll look for it..

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2011, 06:29:23 PM »
Don't worry '89 this aint my first BBQ  :lol:

I all ready gave the Owner a proper Butt Chewing on following my Instructions for shipping.
We don't know the other side of the story,
  and like Grandma's Pancakes...They May be thin, but they got two sides...Nuff said I'm over it.. :-D
 I sold some KX-5 parts to pay for the clutchcover, so it may be a few days to get the replacement and install it and ship.
   The engine does infact shift and there was no damage done account of the prior work on it.

Chris did do a good job, he just didn't have anyone there to verify his work.  I hope he stops thanking me and thank Danger for keeping the doors open and using 16 pages of Bandwith! :-o

All kidding aside, the guys who hung in there with CM deserve all the credit. 

Aside from the butt chewing I told him I'd mark the section in the Clymer on break -in of new top end. 

Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Motorrad

« Reply #244 on: July 09, 2011, 06:44:16 PM »
One tip I always give everyone...

EVERY TIME you get on the bike... Make sure the throttle opens and closes freely...

Before I start a Bike.. I always give it a full turn.. make sure it runs free... then turn it to 1/4 throttle, and let go of the throttle and make sure i can hear the "thunk" of the slide bottoming...

Had my trials bike try to run away from me once... throttle felt great... But It didnt "thunk".... (which I didnt check at the time).....    You ever try to kill a 300CC trials bike when its stuck at 1/2 throttle?!   Yea... not exactly fun.. or easy..

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #245 on: July 09, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
@ the good friar,
                       tuck, you are my hero, but you know this anyway. a good job well done.

@ chris,
          i'm glad this has been resolved to a satisfactory mechanical standard, just remember to stand back and think about what your trying to do, your obviously a smart young man, but your youthful exuberance sometimes gets in your way, but we where all the same at your age.listen to the advice you get on oil and running the engine in, and follow it to the letter, and enjoy the bike.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #246 on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »
   More good advice from "The Crew",  Well said.
 CM, there is one more part I looked everywhere for,  the little clip that keeps the throttle cable in the brass adjuster in the top of the carb.
  It looks like a cotter pin, you need that little buggar.
   Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #247 on: July 10, 2011, 03:25:27 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone and I will surely read the top end wearin procedure. ANd Tuck,the funny thing is every time I had this bike when I attached the carburetor to the bike, it would go full throttle then not return all the way back up. So I have to order this little cotter pin and the water pump thing that you took pictures of?

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »

I'll install the waterpump shaft when I install the clutchcover.
 The end is slotted and it was forced in once.  I was able to clean up the end of the crank where it fits into with a little filing.         That's not what did in the pump shaft it is just worn out.

I'll add that clip to the list of things to get,  and put it on the carb.
 It will all become clear when you see how it keeps the cable secured in the cap.   
  If your throttle was hanging WFO, more than likely the sheathing  of the throttle cable is coming out of the top of the carb and hanging up.
   The way I read the previous post it sounded like you were asking why it was doing that now with the carb removed.
 Which of course there is no spring to pull it back.
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #249 on: July 10, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
Oh ok I was looking for that clip for the carburetor but I guess youre buying it now lol. The previous post I was talking about it that way when the carb was connected. How much do I owe you Tuck?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »

I Have to get that cover,waterpump shaft and the clip, as soon as I get it all together I'll let you know...
    Nothing I hope, The Guy who has the recycling business doesn't have any small bike parts.
    Please Stand By...

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:47 AM »
Oh ok no problem. Take your time. I told my mom to buy a measuring cup for me soon so I can mix the premix that I bought. THanks everyone. i cant wait to start riding again.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2011, 02:21:32 AM »
Oh ok no problem. Take your time. I told my mom to buy a measuring cup for me soon so I can mix the premix that I bought. THanks everyone. i cant wait to start riding again.

Do you have an iPhone chris?

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #253 on: July 11, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »
No, I dont.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #254 on: July 11, 2011, 04:24:09 AM »