Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219751 times)

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #585 on: November 22, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
its been quiet in here...cant believe how long this thread is haha...but today my friend and I got the cb to run partially....we connected his cb750 battery then plugged that in to the wall then started it with starting fluid but it doesnt stay running even when you rev it...it starts for 3 seconds with revving it then it usually dies out...tomorrow im gonna buy a new fuel line that is see through cause its  not getting enough gas we concluded...

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #586 on: November 23, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »
bought a new seethrough gas line from the tank to the carbs....so I fill a LOT of gas in the tank and turn the petcock on and no gas goes through...sometimes only a little line of gas...I tried all the positions on the petcock and the line isnt bent...I took the petcock off and its clean? Is this vacuum or what?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Caddy 16v

« Reply #587 on: November 23, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
Your gas tank might be totally gummed up from old fuel etc. !
1991 KX250

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #588 on: November 24, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
Well I unplug the line from the carbs and turn the petcock on and gas flows through perfectly...but then I connect it and turn it on and no gas....Even when trying to crank it, it doesnt give it gas...so im busy taking the carbs back off tomorrow

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #589 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
Hey Chris your supposed to be spending time with your family on Thanksgiving!
  There's plenty of time to mess with the bikes between the holidays... :lol:

It sounds like the carbs need to be completely taken down and cleaned... the bike will run on a shot of ether and dies after its been burnt.  You have the problem isolated so now it just seems to be getting those carbs completely cleaned

Take Care and hope you guys had a good ThanksGiving.
  Tuck\o/   
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #590 on: November 27, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
Hey guys,

1. My brother got a Schwinn Whizzer from the 40s!
2. I got the cb400t running by myself!

1. He bought it and I cleaned up the engine for him and unclogged the carbs and took the head off to look at it and it was good. So thats gonna be a project

2. Got It running without starting fluid and it idles! Later that day, my friend came over and he rode it. The one carb to the right leaks out the overflow....and when he rode it he said he lets off the clutch and gives it gas and it automatically is floored...when hes riding he cant pop into 2nd gear? Its like theres no second gear....I remember when I got it I was able to pop it up a lot into like 5th gear... Theres only a 1st gear and neutral right now...So what do you guys think?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #591 on: November 28, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »
Update: I fixed the shifting to second and third gear etc. because the shifter pedal was a little bent in and the case of the engine was blocking it...so thats fixed but I dont know why he says it floors it when going in first gear
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #592 on: November 29, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »
Hey there Chris,
 That Schwinn should be worth some Bucks to the right buyer if it is in good shape. 
   And as for the Hawk, Check the cable routing on the carbs.    Watch the throttle on the carb while you turn the handlebars lock to lock.  Sometimes the throttle cable will get pulled as you turn the handlebars.
Also check the choke cable. (doesn't the choke also open the throttle a tad when you pull the choke? )
   Check the fuel needle on the carb that is leaking,  maybe something not allowing it to shut off fuel when the bowl is full.   Look at the carb diagram closely, is there an "O" ring that holds the seat for the fuel needle in place?  I have seen these get brittle crack and fail. This allows fuel to flow in the carb bowl around the needle. 
    There is nothing connecting the throttle and the transmission, so the revving between shifting is odd...Hhhmm..
Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #593 on: November 30, 2011, 01:23:41 PM »
Hey Tuck,

My brother still has got to work on the whizzer but I helped him with the engine...it gets spark cause it shocked me haha

Tomorrow I will be sure to check the cables on the hawk...I am not sure if the choke opens the throttle a little but I could imagine so that it does...I am not sure if there is an o ring but the carbs were very dirty and I got the throttle slides to move up and down smoothly ... I fixed the shifting where it only got into first...the shifter pedal was bent a tad...buuuut...

Let me try to explain this better...Ok so my friend pulls in the clutch and taps into first...when he tries to ride first gear he lets off the clutch while giving it gas and the bike just floors it without giving it full throttle...what do you  think this is?

THanks Tuck
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #594 on: December 08, 2011, 11:13:52 AM »
Hey guys,

I checked the cables on the hawk and they seem to be fine...I adjusted the clutch so it has only about the size of a dime freeplay so I have to wait for my friend to come over and see if that fixed the problem cause I cant ride it cause its too big for me! haha

Still waiting on an answer on the question I asked before if any of you know...

About the yz....Im trying to get the rear brake foot pedal to work again...Everything is disconnected from it including brake cylinder and all cotter pins and washers etc....I have a vice grip on the pedal and I can move it up and down but it does not return and is very hard to move...I tried a ton of solvents to loosen it and none worked...I tried drilling it out and buying a new one but I dont have a big enough drill bit...I have to ask one of my friends...What could this be...rust inside or corrosion?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #595 on: December 08, 2011, 05:18:33 PM »
  Hey Chris,
I didn't see your text until it was late, How are you doing Buddy?
 It is hard to believe that brake assembly is not budging, but I have seen stranger things. 
There must be someone your Mom & Dad know that can give you a hand when you get stuck.  You would be amazed at how much nicer it is to work on something when you have the right tools for the job.
       I am gonna go back to work starting next monday, I have to wait to have my left side repaired.
The bills have started to pile up and I'll get have to get them payed  before getting some more replacement work done! :-D       
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #596 on: December 09, 2011, 03:47:03 AM »
Hey TUck,
Im doing good and hopefully you are too.
The pedal will not budge one bit outwards...My brother tried helping but no luck...My brother said that we have a ton of other big drill bits in a box in the garage so Im gonna go searching later....

I hope the next surgery goes well and dont let me bother you!

Im going to also check the jetting on my yz today cause I remember I wrote it down in the kx clymer! I dont think I updated the kx jets that I wrote down in the book with the ones in it now so I have to sort that out too...The thing is I am loving how my yz is running right now but the oil shooting out and dripping on the garage floor and swingarm is a pain...I want to keep the bike how it is running now but I gotta change the jets when I sell the motorcycle cause its obviously running wayyy wayyy too rich...also a ton of white smoke from the yz...

Also do any of you on this website do a top end even if the bike is running?

Hope everything goes well Tuck!

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #597 on: December 09, 2011, 04:47:11 PM »
Thanks Chris,
 There are several books out there that will help you sort out the basics of working on your motorcycles.
Unfortunately you probably won't to be able to take any mechanical classes until high school. 
  Go back through the thread and re-read it, go to the fuel part of your clymer and actually read through it.
I know it is not the most exciting reading but it will have the answers you need to get the bike's jetting sorted out.
  Don't worry about bothering me!  I just may not be able to get back to you quickly.

Write down the changes you make and only change one thing at a time.   Record the results and make your next change.    You will see a pattern and recognize what the bike needs after a while. 

You really do have to be committed if you want to be good not only at tuning your bikes, but anything you put you hands to.  Get a-hold of 1989kawasaki, he can tell you how long it has taken him to get where he is.  And maybe what has been a help to him and what has been a waste of time.

Something you are gonna also have to remember is that as the weather changes you will also have to change your jetting.    Since I don't ride in the winter here I only have spring / summer and fall.   I usually change up my jetting three times a year.     When I have the bike apart for cleaning I just swap out the jets. 
   Anyway,  I hope you got the yz running better.
Take Care Buddy, and remember this is not something you usually pick up over night. 
    Patience Young Skywalker! :-D
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #598 on: December 18, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
Hey Tuck,

Im in high school already haha :p.....I plan on going to college to be a mechanic

I have been writing all the changes I have done...

I got the yz running kind of better at least I think haha! I cant tell anymore haha. It doesnt shoot out oil anymore but theres a lot of oil that drools out and goes all onto the swingarm and floor...

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #599 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Also with the kx, Its not a problem or anything major and doesnt really matter but when the kx is totally warmed up and its idling and you give it a tiny tiny bit of throttle then let go it stays at that level then soon goes back after id say 10 seconds...is this the adjustment on top of the carb with the slide or does the cable need to be lubed or something?

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80