Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219773 times)

Offline chris-mets

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #525 on: October 01, 2011, 02:32:51 AM »
Yeah, with the xr Im not sure if its normal or if its a problem but it has no effect on performance so im leaning towards the "its normal" side. The xr is a semi auto with  3 gears.

I plan on repacking it when I get christmas money or something. WHat is the absolute best stuff to buy that will make it as quiet as possible?

Also guys I came across an insane deal! I have a listing on craigslist saying I want your junky dirt bikes. A guy texted me and said he has a 1984 suzuki dr100. It runs but is in rough condition. I asked how much he wanted. He said $75! Unfortunately its 1 hour and 10 away so my dad said he might take me on sunday afternoon! It will be something fun to do to fix it up and sell it for like 500 on craigslist and put that money towards dirtbike parts and a car. Thanks guys.

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #526 on: October 01, 2011, 07:17:04 AM »
chris-mets
the youngest motorcycle dealer in the U.S.A.

:-P
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #527 on: October 01, 2011, 07:42:02 AM »
  Hey Chris,  
  Get ahold of 1989 kawasaki and ask him how much it costs restoring an old bike... Spending some time with Pop is Great Idea, ecspecially if he spends most time working. But you can drop several hundred dollars on a bike and not do any cosmetic repairs, be careful!

The exhaust packing is usually less than $20.00  There will probably be enough for both of your bikes easily. Unless you get a package specifically for mini's.
If you need to quiet down the exhaust note you will have to look into a different silencer.  But, that's more dough...
  The new packing will help quiet the bikes down some but not a whole lot.   Remember the KX and YZ are motocross bikes so they weren't built with alot of sound reduction as a consideration.   The XR shouldn't be too loud is it? .  
 When you are able to ride a bigger bike there are more options as far as sound deadening, but it won't be so quiet the neighbors won't know your riding.  
 There is a contraption called a DB Snorkle.
  It looks kind of crazy but I'm told it works great.  ( http://www.thedbsnorkel.com/ )

T\o/  
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #528 on: October 01, 2011, 08:50:30 AM »
Haha Thats what my whole family says...With my childhood I find garbage on the street and sell it on craigslist. I found a tractor and it didnt run...I sprayed starting fluid and fired right up...sold it for 120 haha and there was much more such as leafblowers, a snowblower, and bikes and other stuff...

Im not planning on restoring the bike but looking the best it can get without spending any money. I am going to make it fully functional which Im pretty sure he already said it is...then fix it up cosmetically...

The xr sounds like a motorcycle and is perfect sounding with the exhaust. I like the xr just how it is...no bog or smoke...well its a four stroke soo...

When I am done with other stuff Ive been doing and I earn some money I am going to go ahead and buy new packing after the jetting is fixed...Cause I didnt get all of the oil out of the packing so it still is dripping but not nearly as bad...The thing is I dont want to buy new packing then soak it again cause of the jetting...

The dr is from what I see as the specs on the internet its about the same size as my kx with the seat height of 30 inches...but much longer and it has valves and light. No clue how valves work either haha. I actually decided like a week ago that im choosing to be in the auto engineering/mechanic field. I would try to own my own store too to make more dough.So try to teach me anything possible

That DB Snorkle looks awesome! Its so unique. I tried to look at pricing and theyre all sold out. THey must me good.

Thanks guys.
CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #529 on: October 04, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
Hey guys,

I bought the dr on sunday for 75 bucks! Im liking it. I am busy cleaning it and repainting stuff. Also it needs a clutch cable cause the one it has on it, the guy broke the end off of it. Also I want to get a new throttle cause it has a pocket bike throttle on it and it doesnt return when you rev it...I opened it today and its not the needle slide or carb. Its not the cable. Its the throttle so I have to regain money and purchase those 2 things. I will get pics when Im done fixing it up.

Good news! jets came today Tuck! I didnt get the chance to open them up today cause im busy with homework actually right now haha I took a break but I can put them on tomorrow most likely. Also Tuck, just wondering if you fully recovered and can get around now from your surgery?

Thanks guys.
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #530 on: October 04, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »
Chris,
 I'm doing pretty darn good for an old Crow.  I do have to wait another 6 weeks before I have the left side done.    Then another month recovery before I can get back to work.
I really  wasn't counting on having this much time off between parts replacement, but I don't have much of a choice...
   Any way... Hope school is going well.. You don't want the folks having any reason to keep out of your shop...I mean garage...
   They are gonna start charging you rent if you get any more bikes in there... :-D
I am hoping this time is the charm and you can finally get your bike dialed in. (jetting)
 Crikeys it's been all bloody summer...Your kids are gonna get more seat time on at than you! :lol:
Well I guess one good thing is that you are not afraid to take the carb off or swap jets any more.
  You are gonna be the expert in the neighborhood on small engines now...
  Take Care,
  Tuck\o/

Sorry I was at a union meeting for a while and realized my phone was dead when I got home.
  Go with the next size up from where you left off.   30.5 I think on the pilot and 210 on your main on the thrird clip position to start.
  "T" \o/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 10:54:30 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
Good to hear! Hopefully the left side is much easier to go through. Can you feel the difference of each sides?
School is going good. One class I have to work harder in though.

haha hopefully they wont. My brother has a ton of vintage bicycles like the schwinn dx, stingray, etc. He also has a old bicycle with a old motor on it! He cant get it running but after I get my bikes situated then I will help him.

Ive gotten much better at taking the carb on and off the bike. I dont even have to think about it anymore! Good news! I opened the jets package and opened the carb to see if they all fit. Theyre all a match! Now Tuck and I have to dial it in.

Please stand by.

Thanks
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »
 Hey Chris,
 Yes there is a definate difference with my new replacement parts.  I have been working around the house to try and get the right side back in to some sort of shape.  however thre left side is now holding back my progress.  I'll get all fixed up it will just be a while.. I'm hoping to be able to get the 5oo next summer and see if I can do some trail riding.
      I keep telling my kids to take care of themselves, so I'm gonna keep  telling You and 89'er the same thing!  Hey, Take Care of yourself!   
     Get some gloves and wear them as much as possible to keep the chemicals off your hands... I used to think gloves were for sissies until my hands started cracking and bleeding...
   Lecture over...

Now-  Read through the section on fuel in your clymer to get an Idea of what all is happening when you swap those jets out.
  Like when the bike is idleing, off idle to about 1/2 throttle and then 1/2 to W.O.T. (Wide Open Throttle)
The reason is so you know what to adjust. the pilot,clip position or main. 
  You will need a book for your Suzuki DR also.. Look for a used copy.  it has the same info as a new one for half price!

Tuck\o/ 

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #533 on: October 06, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
Hopefully the next surgery will turn out just as good. I actually just asked my mom to get the rubber gloves from her work haha.

What jets should I try for the first try and 3rd clip position? When I get the time tomorrow I will call you if that is ok and we can talk through it. Im trying to spend the least money possible for the dr cause I plan on putting a lot of work into it and fixing it up then selling it to buy another kx or just save the money for a car. Let me know about the jets and clip position. Thanks

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
   I would try a 35 pilot and a 220 main  3rd clip position on the needle.
   I'm sure the temps are pretty cool in the morning and warm up a bit in the afternoon. 
     should be up after 8:am my time
  T \o/  :-D

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »
Hey Tuck,

Sorry, I couldnt get a chance to put them in today cause I had soccer, then I had to go to my grandmas to help her fix her tv for the whole day. Tomorrow I should be able to put them in although I do have a travel soccer game at 3. I will let you know.

That forum that I made with all the kx's is awesome! Tuck, would you be able to post a pic of your bike up there? I would love to see it!

Thanks.
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »

Family First Amigo, The bikes and all will be there when you have time.
  I'll get a pic of my old gal this evening I think.  I have a few pics on photobucket of the engine but not the whole
bike.  Nothing special I assure you, but a good runner.
  Catch you later,
    Tuck\o/ 

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #537 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:53 AM »
Good news! I put the 35 pilot and 220 main in just like what Tuck said and its back to normal now! The power is back! I put new Renthal grips on the bike I got from a friend. Im gonna try to find out how to get a video of me riding. Is it possible to post vids up here? or do I put it on youtube then get the link? Thanks guys.

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #538 on: October 09, 2011, 10:04:58 AM »
Update: It is not dead on but it is almost there! The bike makes a clicking noise when accelerating. I think one size up pilot to the 37.5 would do it. Then if that stops the jetting problem and theres still not as much power then I probably have to adjust the stator.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #539 on: October 10, 2011, 06:02:41 AM »
Another update: I put in the 37.5 and the bike smokes a LOT of white smoke and it still doesnt have the power it use to. RIght now im mixing 32:1 exact and Im running 37.5 pilot and 220 main. WHat is not right with this? THanks guys.

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80