Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219912 times)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #405 on: August 13, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
Hey Chris,
I'm getting around pretty good, but still need crutches. Old guys heal slow so it will be a while  :lol:..Thanks for askin',   
  You don't owe me anything Buddy.  Forget it.  Plenty of folks help or helped me out.  We are all in this together!
       Now back on the safety rant!
 Get yourself a good Helmet, Goggles, Gloves,Chest Protector and Boots.  I would like to see you get a leat brace and
 A good set of freestyle riding pants or mx pants with pads.   That's gonna set you back a pretty penny, but when you go down hard its worth its weight in gold!   Actually, that neck brace could save your life!

You get the 60 jetted and its gonna be fast, the 85 is gonna be faster.... get some gear!!!

Put back some of that money your making for a rainy day or a deal that comes along that you can't pass up. You don't have to stockpile your whole bankroll, just 10%   You get 100 put 10 in savings.  You will not believe how much you can put away by the time you graduate H.S.  8-)  Then you will be able to take the whole summer off before College and do whatever the heck you want while your friends have to work.
  Any way,
Take Care,
  and stay out of trouble school probly starts in two weeks or so,
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #406 on: August 13, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »
At your age you`re all ready plannin ta have kids,   slow down

:wink:
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #407 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:10 PM »
Im glad to hear that Tuck. I will look into getting safety gear after I get these bikes situated....The weird thing is the guy that has the 85 says he rides the bike pretty hard and the guy that he bought it from always ran 50:1 in it so thats what he does...And he called it droll but the oil spooge on the exhaust he said drips out...and he said it smokes a lot...so 2 rich symptoms and 1 lean symptom? But he said its normal for the 85's to not care what the ratio is....And Im like to him why didnt you change the ratio and jet it...he says its a pain to jet the bike...I tell him Im looking forward to two jettings now! haha What should I do about the kx jetting....It starts first kick no problem without the choke...I never use the choke...but it starts then you give it a rev and it has 1 heavy bog then you try again and it catches on to the right sound of how its supposed to run...Thanks guys

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Marco810

« Reply #408 on: August 13, 2011, 05:14:11 PM »
On the subject of not wearing goggles, I just broke the window of my truck from roost (wasnt smart of me riding that close), imagine that in the eye!

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #409 on: August 14, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »
Just got the YZ today! Man that things big for a 85...it has renthal grips renthal handlebars, uni filter, $2000 mbr suspension, and more. That thing is fast! I can barely hold on! It bogs just like my kx so looks like im doing 2 jettings now haha. The guy told me this happens but the bike is being ran 50:1 and after you get off the bike after 5 mins of riding there is a line of oil down the pipe that came out. Im guessing jetting also...heres some pics

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2011, 04:20:52 PM »

Very Cool Chris,
     I'm Jealous!    Your bikes look great!
 Get a manual for 85.  (You'll need it to keep the maintenance.)  The principals for both bikes will be the same but there will be some specs that differ.   

At this point I would say it's probably better to have some spooge and keep cleaning it up than burn up the engines.
 The Real answer is to learn how the carb works and jet the bikes correctly.  You wouldn't have to take them to a shop and save yourself several hundred dollars.  I don't know how long you will be able to ride before the packing in the silencers get plugged up or oil soaked.   But the silencer packing is cheaper than a piston and rings also.

Please Get a Helmet,Goggles,Chest Protector, Gloves and Boots.
    You don't have to buy new gear, there are lots of good deals on used gear for younger riders as the grow out of it so quickly.  Craigs List, Ebay, Local Paper, whatever.
    I'm gonna keep hounding you 'till I see some pictures!

Now about trying to hang on...
  The next time you take the bikes out, try to squeeze the bike with your legs to "Hold On".   Heck you can practice in the garage.   I know that sounds weird, and it will be awkward at first, however gripping the bike with your legs leaves your hands and arms free to control the bike.
           You won't have a tendency to open the throttle while just trying to hang on.   
You know,
  Like when the bike hits the powerband and you are trying to let off the throttle, only you are hanging on for dear life and the throttle just keeps opening and you can't let go!
            Yea...Been there done that...

There might even be some riding schools around you somewhere, and if not there are some excellent instructional riding video's.  (used ones are just as good as new!)
     And not the one where the guys are jumping ravines or doing backflips!

Be Careful & Take Care,
 Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
Yeah it looks great...I have to find the original decals the the bike use to have cause it looks so plain. THen I have to buy an actualy kickstand...I cant find a stand cheaper than $100!! So your saying the bogging on both bikes is normal? ANd ill try that leg strategy tomorrow...TOmorrow im teaching my two friends how  toclutch! :p.....I will look into gear after Im done spending more and more money on these bikes! haha Anywhere where I can get decals and kickstand cheap? really need the stand cause the stand it has now im afraid it will fall any moment cause it barely holds it up...thanks

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »

The bog is not normal, and neither is the spooge (oil dripping off the pipe or silencer) the bikes need to be jetted for your altitude and temperature.  This will vary with the seasons, spring, summer, fall. 

Once you get to know what the bike needs, you will probably only need to change the jetting two or three times a year. Depending on how fast the weather changes and at what temperature/elevation you ride. But you get faster and it's just part of owning a bike, you can consider it maintenance I suppose. 

There is lot's of info available for you to read,I don't think I can explain it any better than it is in your clymer in the fuel section. 

Read through it and let me know what you don't understand and I'm sure myself and the guys can help.
  If you really need me to write up what your carb does and how it works I suppose I could try, but its all in there
and I think you can understand what is written.  And There is always You-tube.

As far as the kickstand or stand goes, there are more options other than the $100.00 jobbers.
     Next time your out and about look for some milk crates.  Turn it upside down and I think your 85 should sit on it with the rear wheel off the ground so you can service it and she won't tip over.

The other alternative is to build a stand out of some 2x4's and a small piece of plywood for the top.
You could get fancy and put some wheels on the bottom so you can roll it around the garage.
    There may also be some available on e-bay or craigs list.

The kickstands you can buy for the 85 are probably gonna cost about $100.00  the one style clamps on the swing arm and usually runs about $75.00  so when you add shipping and what not it ends up being $100.00
  Pro moto billet might  have a nice one but you'll be looking at $125.00

The decals are probably $65. to $125 a set also... :|
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #413 on: August 15, 2011, 02:34:55 AM »
Yeah cause the bog on both bikes is the kind where you give it a full throttle rev in neutral and it just gives one BIG bog. Oh and while trying to get up hills with my kx it dies out and bogs...And I have a ton of milk crates and its just not working...I want to have a kickstand so I could stand it up in the field and wherever I am...And I only found a moose racing clamp on one on ebay for 100 bucks! I want the bolt on one for cheaper! haha any places I can buy the stand and decals for cheap? Thanks

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #415 on: August 15, 2011, 02:56:29 PM »
Update: I just ordered the a whole bike graphics kit for 100 bucks...there goes more money that I have to gain back....Now I have to find a kick stand that doesnt clamp on the swingarm. I want one that bolts on. Then I gotta get the jetting fixed on both bikes. Thanks guys

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2011, 04:03:04 AM »
Make sure you have a look at some video's on how to install those graphics.
  There are a few different ways to do it, and you don't get a second chance!
   Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #417 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:54 AM »
Ohh good idea. Ill go research how now haha. Also I asked a guy in another town how much it would be to jet both my bikes and hes like 100 per bike....and I have to drive them up there like an hour and half way. FORGET THAT! I gotta find a place close to me that will do it cheaper. The guy inanother town also said the yz might be more expensive cause he would probably have to repack the silencer cause its filled with oil he said...EH ill do my research. Thanks.

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #418 on: August 16, 2011, 08:13:36 AM »
  I was afraid it was about $100 per bike, and they will want the air filters clean, fresh fuel, fresh silencer pack.

You can do it Chris.  Then you can charge $50 and make back your money on your friends bikes! 8-)

Well it looks like your YZ has a keihin carb.  This is where I usually get individual jets if I need them, they have a flat rate of $7.95 for shipping
Here's a link for the YZ
 http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/yamaha_085_YZ85_2002-2011.htm

and here's the KX
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_dirt/kawasaki_060_KX60.htm

It's looking like you will be dialing your bikes in.  It won't be that bad. 
You already know how to move the clip on the needle. 
 The only other thing you will have to do is change the pilot and main.  And you already packed the silencer on the KX , same deal on your YZ!

Let me know when you are ready to tackle it.
      Tuck\o/
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:47:00 AM by Friar-Tuck »

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #419 on: August 16, 2011, 12:20:44 PM »
Yeah but the thing is I cant deal with rivets on the silencer on the yz...and the yz carb is really complicating and it has screws on top and its weird...and I dont want to mess anything up...also the 50:1 amsoil racing oil premix is empty...and a new one is 17 bucks so Im without riding the yz until I jet it and get more premix...THanks

CHris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80