Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219812 times)

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
what you mean you didnt put a rag around the opening to stop the clip from going down?
you MUST get it out. you probably have to tip the motor upside down and shake it around and then it should just drop out. OR if you have one of those telescopic magnet sticks (not sure of the proper name) you may be able to fish it out.
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »
I was thinking of a vacuum...
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #167 on: June 17, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »
 Hey Chris,
 A vacuum might work,  you do actually have to see the circlip come out.  Putting a rag or two around the opening in the crankcase is pretty much standard operating procedure.   Now you know why
         .. Good news is  you can get it out.!
I think you are now officially a student at the School of Hard Knocks...   I've been attending for about 40yrs. now.

The first memory I have beeing enrolled was when I took apart my old mans Brand spankin' new Lawn Boy.
 He showed me how to cut the grass on saturday after we picked it up.
   And I promptly took it apart Monday while he was at work.  Needless to say I got most of it apart by simply "Borrowing some of his tools !
   I swear I got beat for two weeks for that one... I think the old timer at the lawnmower shop gave him a discount on reassembling the mower.. He couldn't stop Laughing when we took it back to him only fourdays after he sold it to my old man  brand new...

There is no moral to the story... I just thought you could use a good laugh...

P.S.   Being an old timer myself now, there is something I don't understand in your previous posts...
 I'm  pretty sure I know what FM stands for.... But cannot figure out the "L".
     In my youth I could finnish the FM part with any of the following...

Blind, Runnin' , Hard,  Silly,  ...     
 I thought maybe it meant Long... But that didn't quite fit, that seems it would need
another letter like "and Hard"  any ways..   please keep it clean.  I don't talk like that anymore and hope you don't either... :-D
      Tuck\o/   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:34:13 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2011, 06:01:53 AM »
Hey guys...Im waiting on somehow getting that clip out so i can put the piston on and be done...I tried a magnet....I tried draining a whole quart of oil...no luck...I am NOT splitting the cases again or taking the engine out of the bike....There must be some way or would a mechanic do it? if so probably how much? and can I get away without getting the clip out? also when I get the clip out or whatever I do....Im gonna put the cloth in so it doesnt happen again but...WHen I get the piston on I cant get the 2 clips on...Is there a tool? Please answer all the questions...THanks!
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2011, 06:11:11 AM »
Hey guys...Im waiting on somehow getting that clip out so i can put the piston on and be done...I tried a magnet....I tried draining a whole quart of oil...no luck...I am NOT splitting the cases again or taking the engine out of the bike....There must be some way or would a mechanic do it? if so probably how much? and can I get away without getting the clip out? also when I get the clip out or whatever I do....Im gonna put the cloth in so it doesnt happen again but...WHen I get the piston on I cant get the 2 clips on...Is there a tool? Please answer all the questions...THanks!

draining the oil was a waste cause on a 2 stroke the actual engine and the gear box is separate. so there is no tranny oil where the clip is.

you CANNOT leave the clip in there, dont even try to leave it in there or it will come back and bite you in the butt the next time you start the bike.

my suggestion is to remove the motor and tip it upside down and shake it around until the clip comes out.

when my motor was out of my bike and i took the clip out , it fell into the cases ,so i had to hold the engine upside down and shook it and the clip came right out.
so i suggest you do that too...
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »
isnt the clip metal so its just gonna be magnetized to the crankshaft? and so no matter what its in the crank section and not by the tranny or clutch or any of that part of the engine? Ok I will take your advice and take the engine out of the bike.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2011, 06:26:37 AM »
just let us know what happens after you do what i suggested
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2011, 07:50:31 AM »
I took the engine off the bike and shook it and nothing came out...
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:26 AM »

Fill lower end with premix... adgitate a bit... flip upside down to drain on a towel (so you can see if the clip came out). should come otu

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:20 AM »

did you hear it rattling around?
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Motorrad

« Reply #175 on: June 23, 2011, 08:09:35 AM »

You would never be able to hear a spring clip "rattling around" in there...

It doesnt weigh enough 1.   and 2. all the parts should have a decent coating of oil on them, so its stuck to the side of the crank or somthing..

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »

You would never be able to hear a spring clip "rattling around" in there...

It doesnt weigh enough 1.   and 2. all the parts should have a decent coating of oil on them, so its stuck to the side of the crank or somthing..

o
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »
Dag Nabit...
  That buggar should have fallen out when you turned the engine over and shook it...
   Magnet didn't work...hmmmm...and your positive you saw it fall in....

Tell you what Chris,  if you can ( or want ) to send the motor out here to me I'll find a way to get it sent back.
Wait 'till your piston gets there, box up everything you have for the engine and send it out.
      Don't need the carb or pipe, and you've already drained the oil.

I don't want you to give up, and you've already spent so much time,energy and money I can't hardly stand to hear one more  gremlin jump in on the project...

I have surgery scheduled for July 27 to have my right hip replaced so I have to ship it back to you in the next few weeks on account I won't be able to get around too well for a while after I get my new ball-joint...

Think about it.  Send me a PM and I'll give you my home addy.  I definitely have the time.    I have a few more chainsaws I can sell for part money and return shipping.

I'll be looking forward to your E-mail.
      Tuck\o/    
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
Wow thanks so much! The piston came the other day...should I ship the top end too? Its gonna cost a ton to ship for me but its worth it since if I did something wrong then you will know what youre doing. Thanks! Ill PM you for more info.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »
Dag Nabit...
  That buggar should have fallen out when you turned the engine over and shook it...
   Magnet didn't work...hmmmm...and your positive you saw it fall in....

Tell you what Chris,  if you can ( or want ) to send the motor out here to me I'll find a way to get it sent back.
Wait 'till your piston gets there, box up everything you have for the engine and send it out.
      Don't need the carb or pipe, and you've already drained the oil.

I don't want you to give up, and you've already spent so much time,energy and money I can't hardly stand to hear one more  gremlin jump in on the project...

I have surgery scheduled for July 27 to have my right hip replaced so I have to ship it back to you in the next few weeks on account I won't be able to get around too well for a while after I get my new ball-joint...

Think about it.  Send me a PM and I'll give you my home addy.  I definitely have the time.    I have a few more chainsaws I can sell for part money and return shipping.

I'll be looking forward to your E-mail.
      Tuck\o/    
Now thats called "Paying it Back"...........Tuck You Are a Good Man!
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!