Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219827 times)

Motorrad

Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #150 on: June 14, 2011, 05:36:18 PM »
  :-D You could have put the crank in a plastic bag (shopping bag etc) but thats the Idea.   MoRads thread also said to lay out your case bolts in advance,  and put them in half torque first have a beer while things are equalizing, and then final torque.

I think it would be easier if you took the long post and broke it down to one step at a time on 3x5 index cards.

Thank you for taking the time to post all the information and set up the photo's.
         You will be glad you did when it comes time to write the book.    That chapter would be done! 8-)   
                   Unless you told him how to use the pick-up truck press method.. :lol:

Tuck\o/

The last time I used the "pick-Up" truck press method was  To use a camp stove, that I brought the wrong type of butane/propane for.... (backpacking stove) 

I just "truck pressed" it into the bottle, with a cut up piece of inertube to act as a gasket.... and cooked my maccaronni and cheese.. 

This was in the desert, and it was... Umm..  thanks giving.. me and the wife decided to spend it out there, riding bikes instead of with  the fam, last year...     but for some reason or another, camped out of the back of my 1967 FJ40 instead of taking the camper... Hmm dont know why now.. Gas prices?

YES... all the questions you are asking are WRITTEN out step BY STEP in the directions I posted.... take your time.. read it 6 more times..   make notes, idex cards, etc....   what ever it takes...

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #151 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »
FML I give up...im going to kawasaki...I got the crank in good and it moved good and all and I put the engine in the bike and It doesnt shift down or up or anything. I give up unless one of you can come to my house and help.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2011, 10:20:38 AM »
FML I give up...im going to kawasaki...I got the crank in good and it moved good and all and I put the engine in the bike and It doesnt shift down or up or anything. I give up unless one of you can come to my house and help.

are you turning the counter shaft sprocket while trying to shift?

alot of bikes wont shift unless you are turning that..      as if the bike is rolling..

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »
it shifts really weird and not properly...can one of you come and ill pay you or do I have to bring it to kawasaki and pay like 400 more dollars...im already 1100 into this bike thats only worth 600
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
it shifts really weird and not properly...can one of you come and ill pay you or do I have to bring it to kawasaki and pay like 400 more dollars...im already 1100 into this bike thats only worth 600

I would... But NJ is a bit of a drive from california..

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
Thanks....can anyone near nj come help?? how much do you think kawasaki would charge me to fix it as is right now?
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »
Do you have a videocamera?   So we can see what "shifting weird" is

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »
sorry I dont...would I be able to ship the engine to you and you repair it haha
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Motorrad

« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
sorry I dont...would I be able to ship the engine to you and you repair it haha

I doubt you want that....   

I will find more wrong with it than you would believe..   And I don't compromise..  Parts are out of spec, they don't go back in....      Just look at my Jeff Ward Round 2 motor build thread...   look at the replacement parts list... this was AFTER a known motor builder went through it... 2 gallons since he had...

Seriously though... fresh motors feel a bit Odd shifting on the bench..      Especially Japanese stuff...   

Does it click through all 5 (or is it 6 on those?) gears?

you HAVE TO BE turning the motor over (either rotating the crank, or spinning the output shaft of the tranny)   in order to run through the gears.... NO MOTOR will do it at a stand still.. (Okay My BMW will, but they are crazy germans).   no shift dogs will line up...

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »
are you 100% sure cause that made me very releived and im hoping thats the fact. I just get on the bike and start clicking through the gears...it clicks 1 down then goes to 3 or 2 i think...its all weird...I think when the bike was running before i could shift through all the gears stand still.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Marco810

« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2011, 02:28:58 PM »
that has happen to me before, took the clutch cover off and realized i put the shift shaft and spring mechanism weren't put together right. I would take off the cover and look in your manual how the shift shaft should go together, and try shifting it without the cover before you put it all back together

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #161 on: June 15, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
 Rats... Big Fat Rats with Long Hairy Tails.....  Ok .. Rant Over...

Hey Chris,  I'm sorry dude,  In a few years you will look back and laugh about the whole stinkin' ordeal...

You do understand what Mo is talking about having to turn the drive sprocket at the same time you attempt to shift
 Right?
.I think when the bike was running before i could shift through all the gears stand still.
Yes chris that would be correct, you see the engine is spinning (Idling) while you were going through the gears.
    That's why you have to turn the drive sprocket/countershaft at the same time you click the shifter up and down through the gears.

Look through this clutch "How to" (with pic's)  by another member and see if this helps...
 http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6752.0.html

I'm sorry Bro I'm in Northern Ca. ,
  and can't afford the gaskets to put it back together let alone ship it back to you.  And like Mo says,
If there is something " not right,"  It'll have to be repaired and or replaced...

Don't give up just yet... One washer out of place in the clutch assembly could be putting the Kabosh on the whole project...
      I have a REAL PROBLEM giving up....
 It's so bad in fact, I have been known to FIX things until they WERE  broke....??
   Tuck\o/ 
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2011, 12:55:40 PM »
anything thats worth doing is not usually easy.you've come this far, dont lose sight of your goal.....K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2011, 02:33:18 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice and support. I looked more into the bike and kept turning and shaking the drive sprocket while shifting up without a clutch or anything and i got it up to fourth but weirdly...I just ordered the piston on ebay... I hope I can just put the piston on then the cylinder and head...and put all the rest of the parts on....put oil in and gas and it will start right up.
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:26 AM »
Ok I put the whole bike together today except the top end cause I didnt have the piston. Then I found the piston at my friends house and put that on...and while I tried to get one circlip on it fell down into the crankshaft...Do I have to worry about this? after this i pushed the bike and put it in first gear not thinking and the new piston cracked in half FML. I ordered a new one last night though
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80