Author Topic: Taming The Beast!  (Read 6895 times)

Offline GreenMachine

Taming The Beast!
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2004, 09:19:38 AM »
13/52 all I can say is  :shock:   :!: :shock: . I ran 13/51 when riding motocross all the time and my bike was one in yer face, twitchy throttle bike with a whopping top speed of about 50mph. I found the mildest gearing on my bike is 15/47.(ya don't have to ride wfo all the time) but it tames out the hit of the powerband and keep the tank from meeting yer nose.
Any ways, let me know how you like that gearing. as for me make me shiver thinking about it.

Later,
Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

Offline bigborefan

Taming The Beast!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 01:09:36 PM »
Don't take this wrong, but you guys crack me up. Didn't he say he wanted to "De-Fang the Beast". Taller gearing, not lower should make the bike easier to ride. I ride tight trails in Illinois, and I run 15/48, which is taller than stock. I could probably go 15/49 and be happy. I have found that taller gearing makes the bike easier to ride. Ride a gear high and use the clucth. At 13/52 how do you possably keep the front wheel on the ground?

Just my opinion.
2006 KTM 300XC
1994 KX 500 x 2
1991 KX 500
1988 KX 250

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Taming The Beast!
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 03:49:50 PM »
Well if he goes a gear higher with that gearing then he'll have much less clutch to deal with.

Offline Ramski

Taming The Beast!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 06:39:42 PM »
Lot's of different ideas on how to tame it. Most find taller gearing the way to go. I've tried both ways. When I rode in Arizona, I found lower gearing 13/47 helped out. Yeah, the front end wanted to come up with just the slightest amount of throttle, but I found the gear ratios worked better for me there. When i tried 14/47 in Arizona, I needed a lower first gear for some of the trails.

I thnk most of it has to do with riding ability. I really think the faster you are, the better you can manage to run higher gearing on tight trails. I know Destry Abbott can run gearing in Arizona that I coulnd't even run out here in California. It's all experience. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot!
Danny Lesovsky

kawrider

Taming The Beast!
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2004, 03:32:28 AM »
Got an update for you, guys.  Check out my new post "How Low Can You Go!?.

MIKECALDERA

MOTOX 13/49 PERFECT!
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 03:40:15 PM »
For Motocross 13/49 works well at Raceway Park,NJ.
I hated the 14 tooth way tall. Loop outs on jumps.

13/49 is more control more gear changes...like my little egg beater 250.

My good brother drop to a 13 tooth and stick with it. You'll eventually or immediately love it.

Mike

Offline KXcam22

Taming The Beast!
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 11:08:49 AM »
Kawrider,
  For me it was smoothing the beast out rather than taming.  Mine had a really blubbery low end, and flat midrange stock so I was always in the upper powerband trail riding which was a bit wild. Boysen reeds really helped there (although I know some people don't like them). Reed spacer too. The V force reeds are even better I'm told.  However, the best bang for the buck is to spend some time each ride jetting, leaning it out a bit at a time. Your bike should end up being a 1 kick starter. My beast loves Belray HR-1 at 60:1.  Good luck. Cam.