Author Topic: '90 KX500 Front Brake improvements?  (Read 5246 times)

NVR-FNSH

'90 KX500 Front Brake improvements?
« on: January 28, 2003, 07:18:18 AM »
Trying to get my '90 back up and running to use it for some enduros.  One of my biggest complaints is the POS front brake.  I think I may have an older m/c - the 'return' spring is behind the pivot bolt - and the '89 replacement lever is what fits.....  Man, I hate the shape of this lever:(

What have any of you done to improve the front brake performance short of replacing the front end with something from a later bike?  Is there a big difference in the later m/c besides lever shape?  Does anybody offer an aftermarket braided brake line that uses CR routing?  I just like the CR routing for the cleaner set-up, not a big believer in the whole shorter line theory.  My rotor is non-floating FWIW.  What pads seem to work well on this bike?

Brian

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 07:43:33 AM »
I had a local company (Kenz Cycletech - Mesa, AZ) made front and rear braided lines for my brakes adn i noticed a huge improvement on my 2001. I know there is a CR routed braided line for the KX500 - Russell Performance - yes the very same Russell performance that makes Hi-Performance automotive stuff - make one. I just don't remember there website address.

Hogwylde

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 09:29:49 AM »
Make sure you have the right brake lever for your YEAR bike.  I had one for the 94-96 years on my 93 and the front brake handle would pull all the way to the bar and felt spongy like they needed bleeding.  NOTHING I did made it feel better until I put on new levers.  I couldn't believe the difference.  Two finger stoppies are possible now (That is if I could actually do them).  The brake feels rock solid and firm!  I compared the old lever with the correct one for the year and the shape is different and the pivot point is in a different location compared to the bolt that pushes the plunger in.  I guess when the brakes were re-designed in the mid 90's, that the lever ratio's were changed and this causes BIG problems when using newer levers with older brake systems.

Just my experiences with MY front brakes.

Rick

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 04:53:24 AM »
The front brake system on all KX500's is less than steller.  However, there are several big brake systems out there that will improve the front stopping power.  It will set you bake about $150, but worth the money.  As for brake pads, I refuse to use anything but stock.  I have been given pads on many occassions to "test", and ALWAYS go back to the stock pads.  Yes, they are more expensive.  Yes, they are hard on rotors.  Yes, they stop better.  The only other pad I will use in a pinch are the stock pads from a CR250 (yup, they fit just fine).  My only complaint is that they are noisier than the KX pads, so I only use long enough to get me though the race or ride until I can get the stock Kawasaki's.

Rick

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 10:02:45 PM »
I used a braided steel brake line that fits a KDX for $44.00 with some spacers to bolt the stock brake line clamp to my fork guard and cut the guide back so I could route the line CR style.Theres a kit for this,but its $100.00.When I rode it felt more responsive,a positive feel,not mushy like it was stock.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 01:18:39 PM »
For my '92 I read in a magazine to use dunlopads and a lever from a 92 0r 93 (can't quite remeber which) CR250.  Anyway, I followed their recomendations and the results were excellent.  I still have the bike and the front brake is still a one finger stopper. Cam.

toddwunsch

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 05:31:47 PM »

Offline demographic

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 04:58:12 AM »
I found that fitting a 320 mil Braking Wave disc helped quite a lot :wink:

Only trouble is that the disc is slightly thicker and I have to wear the pads down slightly before they will fit :(

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 02:39:18 PM »
Rick, tell me about this front brake system for around $150. I'm instrested, as I'm getting my ass kicked for lack of front brake. It would be worth $150, if it improves the front brake even the slightest.

mikesmith

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 08:26:49 PM »
Over sized rotor.

Rick

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2004, 06:16:37 AM »
Mikesmith is correct....

I have never installed one, but know lots of folks who have.  Even in the trees I have not found a need for more front brake. One thing that really makes a difference is keeping good front tires on the bike, and one that has good traction.  While the rear tire is easy to see when worn, but front is more subtle, and often neglected.

Your local parts house can help with the big brake kit.

Rick