Author Topic: New kickstand design  (Read 10921 times)

Rick

New kickstand design
« on: June 04, 2004, 04:53:11 AM »
Well, after months of thinking, drawing, and designing, I have finally built a kickstand for my KX500.  Instead of adding the pictures to this post, I added to my album in the Gallery.  Also, I did not have any green paint left in the can, so just painted silver for now.  It helps be able to see the mount a little better in pictures, so worked out just fine.

Thoughts:

- One of my concerns has always been that the main spring would come off and allow the kickstand to drop down.  As you might expect, this could get pretty ugly.  To address this, I incorporated a simply spring loaded push button and small bracket.  I think you can see how it works in the pictures.  KTM resolved this by using a rubber loop.  I may try to incorporate this system later, but like the strength and security that the metal system provides.

- I wanted the kickstand to go up along the subframe when in the up position just like the Pro Moto Billet systems.  This was a tough challenge to bend the kickstand to follow the frame and still be able to hold up the bike.

- I did not want to push my footpeg out by adding a bracket behind the bolt on mount, so wanted a weld on system instead.  I sheared several various size pieces of steel, and just used the one that required the least amount of modification.  The stop on my kickstand is a 1/4-20 allen head bolt.  I think you can see how the head of the bolt hits the pocket and stops.

- I do not like how low most kickstands mounts hang on the frame, so wanted one that was high enough to ensure it would never touch the ground, even when the suspension was bottomed.

I tested the kickstand this past weekend, riding just under 200 miles, and never had a problem.  We were also in the snow, so had several chances to try out how well it worked on several surfaces.  My son Ben wasn't so sure about the addition of a kickstand, but after having to lay his bike on the ground several times this past weekend, wants one on his new bike.  

If anyone has any questions on the specifics of the build, let me know.  this kickstand can be made with a drill, a vise, and a grinder, so is easily replicated.

Rick

sdkx500

New kickstand design
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 05:52:33 AM »
Sounds great Rick.  I would like the specifics and since I have all those tools but no welder :( I should be able to follow your specs.   I went with a clamp on one and im not really happy with it.  Did you look at the MSR universal aluminum one at all?  I cant find much information on it so I have been contemplating building one.

Thanks
Titus

mikesmith

New kickstand design
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 06:45:50 AM »
A kick stand may not look cool,but it sure is nice to have on a ride,good job Rick.

Rick

New kickstand design
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 06:47:12 AM »
O probably looked at the MSR unit over the last 8 months during the design phase, but don't really remember the web site.  I must not have been impressed, as I didn't bother to print any pictures.  Also, the unit I built could be put on a mount behind the foot peg, so frame welding would not be required.  Also, the aluminum stand only had two straight easy bends, so nothing fancy.

Take a look at the pictures as they provide a pretty good pattern.  Let me know if you need any specific information that would help in your construction.

My favorite part of this kickstand is that it is hidden behind my number plate.

Good Luck.

Rick

Offline KXcam22

New kickstand design
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 09:47:07 AM »
Rick,
  Drill, vise, grinder!  Ive got those......and I sure need a kickstand.  I looked for the pics but couldn't find them. Cam

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
New kickstand design
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 10:20:12 AM »

Kickstand frame bracket side view

Kickstand frame bracket view from back. Notice that the bracket is welded to the frame at an angle

Rear view of kickstand installed. Notice that the kickstand is in line with the subframe

Side view of kickstand installed. The kickstand follows the subframe, and tucks nicely under behind the number plate. The spring loaded button just below the number plate is depressed to allow the kickstand to drop down. If the main kickstand spring is broken of comes off during a ride, this spring loaded button keeps the kickstand from falling down and putting me on my head. A side benefit to this picture is you are able to see how I widened by footpegs, as well as the passenger footpeg mounts on the subframe.

side view of kickstand in the down position

Rear view of kickstand in the down position

Offline KXcam22

New kickstand design
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 05:23:37 AM »
Rick/Paul,
  Thanks.  Very impressive.  Cam.

Offline Ramski

New kickstand design
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 05:18:06 PM »
Great design Paul!!! Any chance at marketing it? :)
Danny Lesovsky

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
New kickstand design
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 03:41:03 AM »
Quote from: Ramski
Great design Paul!!! Any chance at marketing it? :)

Thats Rick's doings Dan, all I did was add the pics to the forum post. I'd like to see that kickstand available, I'd sure buy one.

Offline Ramski

New kickstand design
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 06:10:11 AM »
Ops! Guess, I shouldn't have speed read. Great design Rick!!!
Danny Lesovsky

Rick

New kickstand design
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 03:17:54 AM »
I could probably whip a bunch of these out in the shop with a little work if their were enough folks interested.  I designed a weld on unit, as I think it provided the cleanest, most compact design, so you need a welder to attach.  The hardest part is the special little safety catch button, as I'm not sure I could design this for all applicable years.  However, for trail riders, I don't think this is really an necessity.  KTM's have the rubber catch, but in talking with the KTM dealer, he said he has never sold the rubber catch, as folks don't use them.

If there is enough interest, let me know, and I'll price a stick of aluminum, the spring, bolts, and shipping in order to spit a few out.   I am going to design the same unit for Ben's new KX, so will have one for a 250 and 125 by then end of summer.

And all I really wanted was compact kickstand for my own use....

Rick

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
New kickstand design
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 03:32:10 AM »
Count me in.

sdkx500

New kickstand design
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2004, 05:41:38 AM »
Im in for 1

Rick

New kickstand design
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 11:09:57 AM »
Looks like I have some parts to search and price, as well as a few jigs to put together.  Might as well make this an easy manufacturing process and try and get something out for other bikes.  My initial thought is that I should be able to make these including shipping in the US for around $50 bucks.  Maybe less if the metal market settles down.

sdkx500

New kickstand design
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 05:31:22 AM »
sounds great.  I will just need to find a welder anybody know one in the san diego area?