Author Topic: Flow pipe protector ??  (Read 6581 times)

Rowdy-Yates

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 01:37:10 AM »
They are a Plumbing plug. Hmm Paul i might want to try this trick. I currently have an oversized tank and the peeps before me dented my FMF to install it. I am going back to a stock tank due to my size. Right now I cant squeeze the bike. Feels like I got some Huge elephant between my legs. I am keeping the clarke tank just for those long rides though. OH btw would a turbo torch do it or are you talking acetelene oxy torch?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 02:20:21 AM »
I have an oxy acetelene and I DON'T believe the propane types will get hot enough to do the job, I might be wrong though

Offline KXcam22

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 07:19:43 AM »
Paul,
  Are they metal, rubber or plastic? Cam.

Offline KXcam22

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 07:22:50 AM »
Oops already answered.  You might be able to use propylene or Mapp gas cylinders on your torch which are both substantially hotter than propane. I don't bother with propane anymore (too slow). Cam.

Offline machine

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 09:16:50 AM »
I've used a dent puller B 4, then braze up the hole.
Not so pretty, but it works!

Offline demographic

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2004, 05:25:00 AM »
A fairly good explanation of how to blow out dents in spannies can be found HERE but don't forget to wear goggles just in case.......

I don't bother cos the last time I had a dented pipe I took it to my local Team Green shop and the very nice chap did it for a fiver which is about nine dollars to you lot :D

Rick

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 10:45:21 AM »
a propane torch with auto ignition will work just dandy.  However, I start with about 50 pounds of pressure.  As you hear the metal, the air gets hot, expands, and builds pressure, so starting with more pressure and using propan will work.  Also, with propane, you have less chance of getting a hole in your pipe, as it's tougher to liquify the metal.  

I've blown plugs out the end, and you DON'T want to get hit with that missle.  Make sure the ends are pointed towards the wall, and you wear safety glasses!!!!  It's tough to ride with only one good eye.

Rick