Author Topic: Flow pipe protector ??  (Read 6580 times)

toddwunsch

Flow pipe protector ??
« on: May 28, 2004, 05:52:25 PM »
OK, before I go and purchase one of these universal pipe protectors that look like the back of a stegasaurus, I was wondering if anyone has some advice for a carbon fiber pipe protector for the Flow pipe that Ty Davis sells with the KX 500 KIT.  I contacted both Ty Davis and E-Line and both responded with no-help.  I searched all over the internet for information on Flow pipes and found nothing.  Apparently this is the company that makes the pipes for Ty Davis ??  Anyways, I have seen these carbon fiber pipe protectors that strap onto the pipe.  Since the Flow pipe is more like a 250 pipe rather than the original 500 pipe, I was wondering if anyone might now which other bike or pipe mfg/model's pipe is close enough to the Flow pipe where I could squeeze that carbon fiber protector on there.  Also, should I find one, is there any problem with using a dremel tool to modify the protector in case I need to to get it to fit.  I've never worked with carbon fiber before.

Thanks.

mikesmith

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »
Sorry,I think your out of luck on rigging one up.

toddwunsch

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 05:01:17 PM »
Yeah, that's a bummer.  I think I'm going to take the pipe off and run down to my local dealer and start trying to match it up with other pipes on bikes that sell carbon fiber protectors for their pipes.  Maybe I can get close enough and with a little mod, make it work.  My pipe's getting beat up...

Offline demographic

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 06:18:42 AM »
Quote from: toddwunsch
Yeah, that's a bummer.  I think I'm going to take the pipe off and run down to my local dealer and start trying to match it up with other pipes on bikes that sell carbon fiber protectors for their pipes.  Maybe I can get close enough and with a little mod, make it work.  My pipe's getting beat up...

I found this thread and as I have just recieved my Zipty kit from Dan H1 and it came complete with a Moose pipeguard, now after looking at it I am VERY impressed :D the pipeguard is a "Stegasaurus back" style ones but is a hell of a lot stronger than all the other ones I have seen, it is made from 3 mm thick aluminium and if our local atomic power station goes up I am stuffing it down my trousers :wink:

CLICK HERE to buy one.

mighty500

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 06:47:14 AM »
Does it actually protect the pipe?
and todd you said the pipe protector was universal so doesnt that mean it would fit all pipes? just a thought.

Offline demographic

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 07:35:14 PM »
Quote from: mighty500
Does it actually protect the pipe?

I should say so :)

Makes the other universal pipeguards look a bit flimsy in my opinoin.

Offline KXcam22

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 04:53:49 AM »
I put one of these on my stock pipe.  Mine is a cheap Korean copy but is also 3mm ( I measured it) gold anodized and quite stiff.  The silver is nicer.  A bit ugly but protects the pipe very well, no dints or bends yet. Cam.

Rick

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 05:02:08 AM »
Yup, the Moose pipe guard is the ticket.  The only problem is that is it so strong, that it will allow the small pipe under the tank to tweak on a big impact.  Not a huge problem, and in my oppinion, worth the tradeoff.

Every onece in a while, I take mine off and clean it up with a wire brush.  Good as new...almost.

Rick

Offline KXcam22

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2004, 05:03:34 PM »
My screwup.  I compared mine side-by-side to the moose one and the Moose is thicker and so much more stiffer there is no comparison.  2X the price though. Cam.

rradar

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2004, 09:13:05 PM »
QUIT CRASHING!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2004, 04:06:07 AM »
Quote from: rradar
QUIT CRASHING!

If only it were that easy :lol:

I can't remember the last time I wnet down. My pipes all busted up but thats from the rocky single track in AZ, not from dumping the bike ;)

rradar

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 03:31:34 PM »
Ok, so now I go out and smash my FMF Gnarly in the header area that sticks out the left side. I haven't seen protection for that part of the pipe yet. What's the easiest way to remove dents on those thick suckers? How about filling it with H2O and plugging the ends before sending it to the chest freezer for an overnight nap? I will never, ever tell anyone, ever again not to crash.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 04:35:19 PM »
I use plugs in both ends, one has a pressure fitting that connects to my air compressor. I set the ruglator for low pressure 15 - 20 lbs and then i take my torch and heat the dents up until the slowly get pressed out by the pressure in the pipe.

*** GO EASY OR YOU'LL END UP WITH A HOLE IN THE PIPE ***

Offline KXcam22

Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 04:51:58 PM »
Paul,
  Did you make the plugs or buy them and how do they attach. How about some pics.  I have been considering making a "flow" type pipe protector.  It couldn't be that hard, basically saran wrap your pipe and do a fiberglass layup over it using carbon fiber cloth.  Sand the heck out of it to make it look purdy and figure out a mount.  Thanks. Cam.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Flow pipe protector ??
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 06:51:21 PM »
I measured the end of the pipe and bought the plugs at Home Depot. They have a bolt in the middle that you squish them with causing them to expland and fit the openings tightly. The big one I drilled a hole in and put in a brass fitting that my air compressor connects to.