Author Topic: What to look for?  (Read 3983 times)

KX4Life

What to look for?
« on: March 05, 2003, 02:35:43 AM »
In a few days I will be picking up my 90 KX. Is there anything you knowledgable folks would suggest I look for on it? Are there any inherent problems with this year that I will want to replace first? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ken

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
What to look for?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2003, 02:45:50 AM »
Check the pipe mount under the tank, they break. Also check the gussets at the upper subframe bolts, by the shock mount, they also break.

KX4Life

What to look for?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 05:05:02 AM »
Thanks.....

Offline demographic

Re: What to look for?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2003, 07:45:11 AM »
Quote from: KX4Life
In a few days I will be picking up my 90 KX. Is there anything you knowledgable folks would suggest I look for on it? Are there any inherent problems with this year that I will want to replace first? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Ken

Mines a 90 so I would advise you check the Powervalve assembly.

Mine is on its way out (the rack and pinion gear is getting worn) so you might want to look here http://www.eric-gorr.com/twostktech/twotopweb_2t.html#Kawasaki%20KIPS for more info.

Good luck

Rick

What to look for?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 02:59:24 AM »
Swing arm and related bearings are normally neglected and get dry.  Once the grease is gone, the bearing pin destroys the bearing and wears into the aluminum.  This is expecially common on the bottom shock bearing.  When you get the bike, disassemble the rearend and clean/grease all bearings.  There are now companies that make swingarm rebuild kits that will save you a lot of money over stock parts.

Also check the swingarm rub guard on the bottom.  This get worn out by the chain, and since it is below eye level, gets missed.

Have fun with your new toy.

Rick