Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130113 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #285 on: December 24, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
Today is a good day.......To start off mr. mailman dropped off a package that contained a set of these.....

Then a mysterious present that is shaped like a set of tires appeared under the tree......

Soooooooo.....there was only one thing left to do, PREPARE..... :-D

Out with the "stock" and "old"........

And in with the "cool" and "new"......

Unfortunatly I have to wait till Midnight to open the "mystery" present so I can mount my new Dunlop MX71 90/100-21 & Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-21....at least I think thats what santa brought me :-D

I did however find a problem with the bike........A MISSING CDI!!!

Then I realized that I have one of these.......

Gotta love that MZB ignition!!!!  I'll post up the finished product once that family lets me open my presents :cry:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:24:25 AM by USMC 500 »
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #286 on: December 24, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
What are you gonna do if Santa decided a set of rock hard Cheng Shins that have been laying around a warehouse the last 6 years is what you're gettin stuck with? :?
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Motorrad

« Reply #287 on: December 24, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
any guess how much the links raised the bike?

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #288 on: December 25, 2012, 06:01:25 AM »

I'll measure it and give you a value.

With the bike on the stand and the rear end unloaded I measured on the left side of the bike using the 8mm seat bolt to the center of the rear axle as reference.  I end up with an additional 10mm of height on the back end using those reference points with the EMIG Racing Dog Bones.  FYI, I am on the toilet as I type this...... :-D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 06:45:13 AM by USMC 500 »
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #289 on: December 25, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »

I'll measure it and give you a value.

With the bike on the stand and the rear end unloaded I measured on the left side of the bike using the 8mm seat bolt to the center of the rear axle as reference.  I end up with an additional 10mm of height on the back end using those reference points with the EMIG Racing Dog Bones.  FYI, I am on the toilet as I type this...... :-D

Appropriate since I'm reading it on the toilet

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #290 on: January 25, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »
YES!! ITS BACK.............THANKS DANGER, MOTORRAD, DOLDGUY AND ANYONE ELSE WHO WAS INVOLVED IN RECOVERING OUR SITE FROM THE INFAMOUS "BLACKOUT OF 2013"!!

now I don't have to re-re-build my bike to re-create this thread. :-D

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #291 on: February 01, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
If ya drive thru Utah will ya stop ta help me clean my filter?
 :wink:
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #292 on: February 01, 2013, 01:57:23 PM »

Sure....its easy.....first you start by making sure you have all the right tools.......socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, case splitter.... :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2013, 03:58:53 AM »

Sure....its easy.....first you start by making sure you have all the right tools.......socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, case splitter.... :-D

That easy HUH?

I think you forgot the need of a guy 300 miles south of you....

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2013, 04:20:01 AM »
huh....lookin like someone's got the Bieber Fever.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »

That easy HUH?

hey, I didn't need that much help tearing it apart.......it was the "assembly" part where I was $hit out of luck. :-D  by the way, something happened to my CH-53E avatar.....you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?....hahahaha

And another thing......an elephant never forgets his peoples.....

Motorrad

« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:35 AM »

That easy HUH?

hey, I didn't need that much help tearing it apart.......it was the "assembly" part where I was $hit out of luck. :-D  by the way, something happened to my CH-53E avatar.....you wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?....hahahaha

And another thing......an elephant never forgets his peoples.....

The BEEEEEB looked good on ya    :lol:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2013, 01:10:08 PM »
The BEEEEB don't make me look good......."I" make the BEEEEB look good!!! 8-)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #298 on: February 16, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
So just a little update on the project.....yes it is still a project......the project phase never ends...

If you wanna see my clutch arm mod with team green style routing of the cable click on.....

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10699.msg88463.html#msg88463

If you wanna read about my water pump impeller shim job click on....

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11238.msg88462.html#msg88462

So there you have it......I'm going riding tomorrow to test out these new additions to project "I was only gonna clean the air filter".......In fact I just finished cleaning my air filter and I was able to pull it off without tearing the bike apart.....

Next week I plan on going riding at Gorman CA Hungry Valley SVRA....If you are interested in joining some of us you can read up on this ride by clicking on....

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11255.msg88465.html#msg88465

Oh by the way......just a little update on the performance of the Dunlop MX71 90/100-21 front and Maxxis Desert IT 120/100-18 rear....By far the best set up I've ridden on this bike......To me this combo does nothing super spectacular however this combo does everything very well.  The wear I can see on these tires after 2 full days of riding rocks and hard pack is so minor that I can't even say that there is any wear on them.

The bike seems to turn in better going into corners with the EMIG Racing dog bones I installed.......for me stability is unaffected because I run a GPR damper......

So that is the update....hopefully I can load up some photos of these upcoming rides.... :wink:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »
If you look on the "other bike" area you will find my project CR500AF.....this bike originally came with a Keihin PJ 38 carburetor which sucks butt!!

So a little birdie, we'll call him the "Flying M" provided me with a PWK 41.....

The only logical thing to do was to put the PWK 41 into the KX and put the PWK 39 that was in the KX into the CR500......

So on the far right we have the PWK 41 that will go into the KX....just waiting on a pilot jet to arrive
In the middle we have the original PWK 39 that came out of the KX and is waiting on jets for the CR500
And last and definitly LEAST on the far left we have the PJ 38 that has been reduced to a parts bitch......

So the PJ's first job as a parts bitch was to provide me with a new measuring tool........

Behold my new float height checker thingy!! 8-)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:27:39 AM by USMC 500 »