Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130238 times)

Motorrad

Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #210 on: June 09, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »

out of my hands now...  god save us  :|

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:20:08 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #211 on: June 09, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »

Now would be a good time to review the First Commandment of 500's:
Thou shalt learn throttle control, or Thou shalt learn First Aid.

Larry

Motorrad

« Reply #212 on: June 09, 2012, 03:51:48 PM »

Now would be a good time to review the First Commandment of 500's:
Thou shalt learn throttle control, or Thou shalt learn First Aid.

Larry

I love that one...   Needs to be a stickie or somthing

Offline cobbs

« Reply #213 on: June 09, 2012, 06:27:32 PM »
its funny you say that I just had a good friend of mine who thought he knew what he was doing and didn't respect the power of a 2 stroke 500 and I let him take my wr500 for a ride today and he hit a ditch pinned in 4th gear and needless to say he went f@cking flying and got tossed like a rag doll and now he's covered  in road rash from grass his whole fore head(skin) is totally gone he looked like the guy who got his face eatin by a zombie,  pretty gnarly anyway looks like he learned his lesson the hard way some people just don't listen

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2012, 02:53:28 AM »
its funny you say that I just had a good friend of mine who thought he knew what he was doing and didn't respect the power of a 2 stroke 500 and I let him take my wr500 for a ride today and he hit a ditch pinned in 4th gear and needless to say he went f@cking flying and got tossed like a rag doll and now he's covered  in road rash from grass his whole fore head(skin) is totally gone he looked like the guy who got his face eatin by a zombie,  pretty gnarly anyway looks like he learned his lesson the hard way some people just don't listen

If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone do you blame the monkey or the person who gave him the gun? :-D
HAHAHA!!!!  seriously though, glad your friend is ok. 8-)

Work begins today.  Motor should be in the bike by the end of the day and it should be going through its first heat cycles early this week. :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline allan1353

« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »

If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone do you blame the monkey or the person who gave him the gun? :-D
HAHAHA!!!!  seriously though, glad your friend is ok. 8-)

Work begins today.  Motor should be in the bike by the end of the day and it should be going through its first heat cycles early this week. :wink:
Nice to hear UNMC.  :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2012, 05:49:11 AM »
its funny you say that I just had a good friend of mine who thought he knew what he was doing and didn't respect the power of a 2 stroke 500 and I let him take my wr500 for a ride today and he hit a ditch pinned in 4th gear and needless to say he went f@cking flying and got tossed like a rag doll and now he's covered  in road rash from grass his whole fore head(skin) is totally gone he looked like the guy who got his face eatin by a zombie,  pretty gnarly anyway looks like he learned his lesson the hard way some people just don't listen

HAHAHA!!!!  seriously though, glad your friend is ok. 8-)

Work begins today.  Motor should be in the bike by the end of the day and it should be going through its first heat cycles early this week. :wink:

Perfect... just in time for  the motor builder to leave the country.     by the time you realize there is nothing in the cases...  

Speaking of which... T-minus 5 days... crap...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:52:14 AM by Motorrad »

Offline 81cr450

« Reply #217 on: June 10, 2012, 06:39:24 AM »
Perfect... just in time for  the motor builder to leave the country.     by the time you realize there is nothing in the cases... 

Now who did you say was your motor builder? Should run real nice  :wink:
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
Quick update............SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! :-D

First heat cycle started on the 3rd kick.......sounds SICK!!.....in a good way that is...hahaha

I will have a full report in the next couple of days once she is broken in......
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
Quick update............SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! :-D

First heat cycle started on the 3rd kick.......sounds SICK!!.....in a good way that is...hahaha

I will have a full report in the next couple of days once she is broken in......

Knew it wouldnt have gone on first kick.... had enough assembly oil in it for 2 motors... 

Offline Rooster452

« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2012, 01:42:44 PM »
its funny you say that I just had a good friend of mine who thought he knew what he was doing and didn't respect the power of a 2 stroke 500 and I let him take my wr500 for a ride today and he hit a ditch pinned in 4th gear and needless to say he went f@cking flying and got tossed like a rag doll and now he's covered  in road rash from grass his whole fore head(skin) is totally gone he looked like the guy who got his face eatin by a zombie,  pretty gnarly anyway looks like he learned his lesson the hard way some people just don't listen

HAHAHA!!!!  seriously though, glad your friend is ok. 8-)

Work begins today.  Motor should be in the bike by the end of the day and it should be going through its first heat cycles early this week. :wink:

Perfect... just in time for  the motor builder to leave the country.     by the time you realize there is nothing in the cases...  

Speaking of which... T-minus 5 days... crap...

"Now you're really giving me flashbacks!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2012, 05:11:57 AM »
3 heat cycles down.......still no leaks.......I've checked torque on the head nuts and cylinder nuts each time and none of them have moved.......sounds great.......Hopefully the break in ride this afternoon. :-D

Someone tell doldguy that its running......... :lol:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
So here are the final stages of the build.  I will be going for the final break in ride in a few minutes.  I will have a final ride report tomorrow.

Rolling chassis back apart for motor install

MZB ignition is a simple install, very clean and it feels like the bike runs alot cleaner with it.  Cant wait to run a set of lights with this thing.  Motor is very snappy with that light flywheel.....Thanks for everything Alex :-D

Getting put back together for the last time!!

Just enough fuel in the tank for break in.....91 octane and Castor 927 at a 40:1 mix....SMELLS GOOD!!

And finally......it is only fitting that since all this drama started because I was gonna clean the air filter the last thing to go in should be...........Air Filter :-o

And behold!!!.......3 years later.......finished!! :-D

This bike will ride with the spirit of Danny Hamel, the Marine Corps

And with the spirit of none other than........

A many thanks to all those here who have read along and helped out with this build in so many ways. :wink:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:00:52 AM by USMC 500 »

Motorrad

« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:29 PM »
You'll put your eye out with that thing.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
You'll put your eye out with that thing.

When I was little and there was a monster in my closet...........I wasn't scared

When the school bully wanted to beat me..............................I wasn't scared

When I kissed a girl for the first time....................................I wasn't scared

When I went overseas on my first deployment.......................I wasn't THAT scared

When I asked my wife to marry me......................................I wasn't scared

But when I test rode my Motorrad built KX500.......................I ruined my shorts in fear!!!!

The "Official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle" don't have 5H1T on my "Official Motorrad Built, 500cc, 70HPish, Desert Sled Prepped, KX500"!!!!!

I was out for 30 min of tame, break in riding and this thing is frightning!!  This thing FEELS faster at half throttle in 3rd gear than my CR500 does pinned in 5th!!  Power is huge but comes on smooth and linear........Almost like a 4 stroke, except, this sounds better, feels better, smells better, pulls better, looks better, IS better......HAHAHA!!!

I am morbidly curious to know what this thing will do when broken in at full throttle......... :-o

Final break in ride will be tomorrow after I torque check the cylinder and head.......then...........watch out world!!! :evil: