Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130062 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »
:-o...........Wow, I can't believe that you came across ANOTHER 98 low hour k5 motor.......what are the odds!! :lol:
I'm going to use the one I'm buying from Motorrad and put it in a riding mower! Five gears on a riding mower! I'm really excited to see what the possibilities are!

I've been pondering over building a  KX500 shifter kart.... not sure if i'm giving myself a death sentence with this caliber of project... :-o
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Motorrad

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 12:17:04 AM »
:-o...........Wow, I can't believe that you came across ANOTHER 98 low hour k5 motor.......what are the odds!! :lol:
I'm going to use the one I'm buying from Motorrad and put it in a riding mower! Five gears on a riding mower! I'm really excited to see what the possibilities are!

I've been pondering over building a  KX500 shifter kart.... not sure if i'm giving myself a death sentence with this caliber of project... :-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrD1Yu__4b4

Offline snoopjonnyjon

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 04:20:51 AM »
Thanks guys, you had to go and post those cool kart vids....  now i'm even closer to taking this project on. (especially where my doctor has advised me to stop dirt riding )   :-(

I actually have almost all the parts to fab a SWEET KX500 kart, my biggest pitfall is how to construct a 428 pitch KX500 countershaft sprocket. Nobody makes one I already did a lot of searching...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 04:33:23 AM »
Thanks guys, you had to go and post those cool kart vids....  now i'm even closer to taking this project on. (especially where my doctor has advised me to stop dirt riding )   :-(

I actually have almost all the parts to fab a SWEET KX500 kart, my biggest pitfall is how to construct a 428 pitch KX500 countershaft sprocket. Nobody makes one I already did a lot of searching...

Have you tried "Sidewinder"? Part of their service I believe is custom sprockets and chains.

http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F

Motorrad

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:11 PM »
Transfer ports Matched   and cleaned up now..  all port hights matched, few intake mods I like to do.  etc.    Like I said.. Only minor clean up of flaws on this jug..   nothing crazy

and Jug Laped tonight... Nice and flat!..       pics dont do it justice.. and the dark spots are from it still being wet from washing off the compound..  

few pits around the fire ring.. but with the gasket being 88mm... its within the gasket hole.. not going to worry about them.   as it will take a trip across the flycutter to get them out...

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:46:20 PM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 04:21:48 PM »
Gonna drop off my suspension with George over at ESP in La Cresenta, Ca to be re-sprung, re-valved, re-built!!!......I'm more excited than a 3 year old that found an M&M under the couch!!! :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
Gonna drop off my suspension with George over at ESP in La Cresenta, Ca to be re-sprung, re-valved, re-built!!!......I'm more excited than a 3 year old that found an M&M under the couch!!! :-D

Just dont try to stick it up your nose...   :roll:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »

Just dont try to stick it up your nose...   :roll:

Oh crap!!!.......too late!!!! :-D.......still good though
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »
OK.....this is and isn't about my K5 project.....you decide......

I spent the evening with my 97 CR250 giving it some attention to its front and rear brakes.....Don't get mad at me or anything but brake fluid should be clear right??? :roll:

The fluid that came out of the bike is the color of dark apple juice and there was so much air in the system that I could have used the brake system as a scuba tank......

I guess thats why the bike didn't stop very well.... :-D....The bike has been riden 3 times in the last 4 years so I should be ashamed of myself.

Then I got to the rear pads and saw that I was about a 2 hour ride away from rubbing metal on metal.....

Here comes the K5 part.....I guess that the K5 rear pads are the same as the rear pads on my CR250....

Why did I not buy new pads you say????...........Well just like my "low hour" motor, the rear pads on the K5 look like they have never even touched the rotor.....LOLLLL :lol: :lol:

So the question is......since the Honda has the pads from my K5, aren't I technically riding my KX500?? :-o

So all said and done, project CR250 "NO BRAKES" is now complete with new pads front and rear and fresh new dot 4 front and rear.

I'm picking up a large amount of cash from a buddy this weekend so project "I was only gonna clean the air filter" is gonna take a huge leap forward to being complete......

PM me if you are interested in sending donations or if you wanna sponsor me.....I'll even put your name on the bike.

Oscar out..... 8-)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:20:22 PM by USMC 500 »

Motorrad

« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
Fresh out of soda blaster...

My name better be on the bike somewhere

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »
Fresh out of soda blaster...

My name better be on the bike somewhere

Get some "Motorrad" stickers made and I'll run em...... :-D

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2012, 02:30:42 PM »
My Forks and Shock are back from ESP and they look and feel great.....cant wait to ride on them!!  The project has got momentum!!  Come on people, cheer me on!! :-D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:34:29 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
Woo hoo! Congrats! Can't wait for the ride report.

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
My Forks and Shock are back from ESP and they look and feel great.....cant wait to ride on them!!  The project has got momentum!!  Come on people, cheer me on!! :-D

How come one of the decals is upside down? An ex-Navy mechanic notices that kind of stuff! Just kidding and good luck with your build!
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F