Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130057 times)

Motorrad

Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 08:41:20 AM »
Just sold an old front end off an old road race bike I had!!  A certified check for $450 is in the mail and on its way to me!!  More $$$ to feed the hungry project!! :-D

What was it off of??

Have the cases split yet?

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
The front end came off a 2005 GSXR 750 track bike I had.  I was gonna put that front end on a project SV1000 I had.  Both the GSXR and the SV have found new homes and i had parts left over.  I'm sure Motorrad has a ton of parts from various projects he has had so he can relate to me..loll.  I have not split the cases yet because I am still working on either buying a case splitter, or building one from scratch.  I see the one you use and I am pretty sure its something you made yourself.  Soon as the cases are split pictures as going up.  Once again thanks for your help. 8-)
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
Haha.  When you say "sold a OLD front end off a OLD road race bike". Some of us antique bike guys don't invasion A 2005 motorcycle....

Offline long_av8r

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 04:30:10 AM »
Haha.  When you say "sold a OLD front end off a OLD road race bike". Some of us antique bike guys don't invasion A 2005 motorcycle....

That's what I was thinking.  Was having visions of my OLD Ceriani front end on my 71 S2R racebike.  Long gone now...

Nice looking project you have going.  Those cracks were the same ones I saw in the sleeved cylinder I looked at this weekend on a bike that was a possible trade for my CB900F.  After adding up the cost to fix the damage I decided to pass on it.  Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to fix those cracks and replate?  And that begs the question, is it better to have it replated, or sleeved?
I'm with the government, I'm here to help.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 05:47:23 AM »

:lol:...I know what you mean.  I did have a complete rolling chassis of a Yamaha RD350 that I was gonna build up a few months ago but someone ended up giving me too much money for it....I may be only 33 years old but I know my racebike history and I can tell you that I would not mind walking through some of your backyards to see some treasures from the past...... :-D
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline long_av8r

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
Backyard???  As in outside?  No, that's not gonna happen.  Backyards are for pools and swingsets, not for motorcycles.  At least not mine.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
Good call......what I ment to say was "garage" or "workshop".....thanks for clearing things up long_av8r... :-D  Could not find my flywheel puller so I had to order another one.  Should be in on Tue.  Hopefully I should have cases split by Wed night.  I'll post pics soon as I "git er dun"!! :mrgreen:

Offline long_av8r

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
You at Miramar or Pendleton?  I have a few of them but don't know if any of them work on the 500 - I know I have one for a CR500.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
I used to live at Pendleton.....I'm out now boss.  I live 3.5 hours north of Pendleton in a little town called Tehachapi.  Its about 20 west of Mojave.  I am in pristine riding conditions for both road racing and off road. :-D

Offline long_av8r

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »
Yup, I know where that's at.  A little far to drive for a borrowed puller I guess.

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
Good call......what I ment to say was "garage" or "workshop".....thanks for clearing things up long_av8r... :-D  Could not find my flywheel puller so I had to order another one.  Should be in on Tue.  Hopefully I should have cases split by Wed night.  I'll post pics soon as I "git er dun"!! :mrgreen:

IS IT DONE YET? IS IT DONE YET?

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
tomorrow......my company has had me working lots of hours and I haven't had the energy to do it.  Can you believe how inconsiderate my company is!!??  Imagine not being able to work on my projects because they want me to do "work"!!....... :roll: lllooooolllllll

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2011, 05:15:58 AM »
Progress so far..... :wink:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:32:11 AM by USMC 500 »

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
So,   how about a picture of how clean you got your air filter?
 :roll:

keep up the good work.

When you got that filter in wanna help me change my spark plug?

:lol:

no really-  looks like your doin a great job.  keep chippin away at the stone and sooner than later you`ll be back on a wheel and a half
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 01:23:46 PM by crazyolbastard »
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 07:47:56 AM »
So,   how about a picture of how clean you got your air filter?
 :roll:

keep up the good work.

When you got that filter in wanna help me change my spark plug?

:lol:

no really-  looks like your doin a great job.  keep chippin away at the stone and sooner than later you`ll be back on a wheel and a half

LOLLLL.......you should see what happens when I just wanna put fuel in!!  Thanks for the encouraging words buddy.