Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130086 times)

Offline 81cr450

Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2012, 01:38:01 AM »
Looks sweet!  I was wondering about the fork guard trick you've done just the other day nice to see it can be done & thanks for the pointers
if I only had a pair, I could actually ride this thing

& to the people I like  FYYFF

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »
I got bored today so I decided to mount up the pipe and silencer to the bike (no engine yet).....then I had an idea.  You see, I'm not quite sure exactly what I need to get this bike on the trail.  SO, I mounted the radiators, tank, seat.....pretty much everything I have for the bike right now.  Here is the tally of what I need (not want :-D) to get this thing on the trail (minus the engine, thats coming soon via Motorrad & USMC 500 performance build 8-))......

rear fender
radiator shrouds
side number plates
airbox rear tire mud flap thingy
chain
grips
front and rear brake pads
air filter...........

Holy @#$%.......thats not much!!!......So I just ordered a few things from my good friend ebay...

EK 114 link oring chain
Pro Taper "Pillow Top" grips
Front & Rear "Sintered HH brake pads
UNI 2-stage air filter

With all these goodies on the way, all I NEED to ride (other than the motor) are all the plastics from the radiators back!!

Now my "WANTS" list is a little bigger......but that will take some more time and money.  Besides, what fun is it if I can't continue to buy little things here and there once the bike is done. :wink:
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
Lets talk tires........After reading around I think I'll be going with a Maxxis Desert IT in the rear (unless someone thinks otherwise) since it wears like a a block of iron....the front is where I'm drawing a blank.  I'll be riding mostly desert terrain but occasional single track.  I've read all kinds of options for the front, for example...

Maxxis IT, SI
Dunlop 745, 952, 739, 756, 739
Bridgestone blah, blah, blah
Michilen blah, blah, blah
Pirelli blah, blah, blah

And so on.....

Another issue that came up is tire size.....

How does eveyone feel about 80/100 21 fronts vs. 90/100 21 fronts?.........

Its easy to read up on different tires but where better to look for tire info for KX500's than right here on KXRIDERS.....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 02:59:08 PM »
the Desert IT rear is good tire..    wears like iron.. the dunlop desert AT wears FAST on a K5...

as for fronts.. the desert IT is SCARY... DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT.

I personaly like the BIG tires   BIG REAR. and BIG FRONT..

I run 90/100 on everything..

which leaves you at choices.

I have run the maxxis SX   wears fast,  technically a hardpack tire... kind of skiddery in the sand..

I have run the Mitchalin starcross ..  also a hardpack tire..   better than the maxxis.. but leaves some to be desired.

now for dunlopped..     the new MX51 is mounted on the KTM. havnt tryed it yet   (a intermediat tire)..
             but
     alot of the local desert fellers are saying the MX71 (hardpack) is working better here local D38..    which seems odd to me..

its all how you like the bike to handle..  alot of local guys run the pirrelli 80/100  and swear by them..
for me.. both my big bikes REQUIRE the big tire to keep the geometry correct (trail numbers).. or they turn "trials bike" like..
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:02:40 PM by Motorrad »

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 03:23:12 PM »
Maxxis IT rear its is......

??????? 90/100-21 front it is.....hahaha

Thanks for the info Motorrad........Let me know how that MX51 goes.....I am torn between the Maxxis SI and both the Dunlop MX51 and MX71. I guess half the fun is experimentation with tires....haha
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:33:50 PM by USMC 500 »

Offline quickrip

• carnegieforever.com
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:53 PM »
hey usmc,
great build youve got going here. Ive been very curious about that desert pipe you just bought. my bike came with the gold series which i think is like the gnarly woods and im now runnin the stocker, which is much better now but I think a little more top end would better suit my riding style. which pipe were you runnin before this one? Anyone else with pipe knowledge could throw out info also. 
I know how to use the search function but no one seems to have real in depth discussions about the exact differences between these. guess im curious why you decided on this model. thanks a lot
93 kx5          08 yz250
93 kdx200     72 honda qa50
71 trail 50      96 pw50
85 xl250

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Hey Quickrip,

If you look at the top mounting tab of your pipe you'll see the part number....

020055 is the FMF Woods Gnarly pipe which according to some of our more experienced members will fall on its face after 5000 rpm...

020038 is the FMF Desert Gnarly pipe which will give you the top end that you will be searching for.  I was running an FMF Fatty before I took the bike apart because thats what it came with.  I could not tell you about performance because the bike was running like a turtles @$$ before I took it apart.  I also have my stocker and once I run my Desert Gnarly I might run the stocker just to compare.  If you want some real world advice you can PM Motorrad.  He has some deep knowledge on KX500 performance with different set ups.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »
Its getting there!!  A new UNI air filter is among the parts that are on their way to my front door and since this whole ordeal started 3 years ago because I was only gonna clean the air filter I think it will be fitting that the last part to go on the bike should be.........the air filter :-D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:44:34 AM by USMC 500 »

Motorrad

« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
Take a good last look...

Cases get slapped together Tonight..

I forgot to take pics..

But the cases, and base gasket surface are all LAPPED together using that Timesaver compound... for a PERFECT fit...

Everyone else laps their cases and base right?   :wink:

Also... chucked a bolt in the lathe. and made you a 'Modded' Kips bolt today also..

Offline ELRUKO

« Reply #99 on: February 29, 2012, 02:49:54 PM »
USMC:  I have a Dunlop MX51 "90" x 100 on my KX450.  That has been the best front tire so far.  I tried 2 of the Maxxis Si's on the front.  Not that great in deep sandwashes, but they wore a long time.  I went to the shop last friday for an 80 x 100 for the 500.  The trail riders were saying the smaller tire had better feel for turning.  Well, the shop wanted $85... No way.  I bought a Bridgestone 403 in the 80 size for $65.  Then, on the craigs list I find a girl with a KXF250 that bought the MX 51 x 90, but it was too big.  Got it for $40 with just 2 rides on it.  I put that one on the 500.  Going to test this weekend.  I am very particular about front end steering, I will see how it goes.  Got the 403 for back up.   Forgot, I did like the Bridgestone M59 but the sidewalls were too weak.  Going to the desert and will report back.  Don

Motorrad

« Reply #100 on: February 29, 2012, 02:59:40 PM »
USMC:  I have a Dunlop MX51 "90" x 100 on my KX450.  That has been the best front tire so far.  I tried 2 of the Maxxis Si's on the front.  Not that great in deep sandwashes, but they wore a long time.  I went to the shop last friday for an 80 x 100 for the 500.  The trail riders were saying the smaller tire had better feel for turning.  Well, the shop wanted $85... No way.  I bought a Bridgestone 403 in the 80 size for $65.  Then, on the craigs list I find a girl with a KXF250 that bought the MX 51 x 90, but it was too big.  Got it for $40 with just 2 rides on it.  I put that one on the 500.  Going to test this weekend.  I am very particular about front end steering, I will see how it goes.  Got the 403 for back up.   Forgot, I did like the Bridgestone M59 but the sidewalls were too weak.  Going to the desert and will report back.  Don

Thats what I love to hear abotu the MX51...    how is it for wear?     I tossed it on my dual sport bike.. 345Lb bike   before you add 7.5 gal of fuel on the front end...

needless to say... I test tires on it first... if they work good on it... they work like GOLD on anything else...

Offline kelcrist

« Reply #101 on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:37 PM »
try the Duro tires.  got mine at rocky mountain atv mc for $110 for both front and rear.       i have used every tire known to man, some new but most as hand me downs from racers that change tires more often than me.   dont be fooled by price, these are great tires.    they come in intermediate and soft compound. i got the soft and have raced on them 5 times now and rode 3 hours in the desert. they show very little wear. excellent traction in wet sand.     anyways............thats what i got on at the moment.   i will for sure buy these tires again.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »
I think I'm down to either a Maxxis SI front or the Dunlop MX51 front......Either way I'll run a 90/100-21 size.  Hey ELRUKO, when you get back I'd like to know how the Maxxis SI performed under high speed, and how the MX51 performed overall on your KX500......Thanks for your input ELRUKO, thanks to Dave for all his countless help and thanks to eveyone here at KX Riders for all your words and encouragment!!!

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:05 PM »
Hey people......question.......other than the 2 orings on the pipe is there any other seals or gaskets that should go where the pipe insterts into the jug.  I know that on my CR there is a metal ring that goes on before the pipe.

Motorrad

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 05:01:57 PM »
Hey people......question.......other than the 2 orings on the pipe is there any other seals or gaskets that should go where the pipe insterts into the jug.  I know that on my CR there is a metal ring that goes on before the pipe.

yes... a copper one... between the pipe and the Jug...

can run more than one for tuning purpose...  :wink: