Author Topic: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"  (Read 130042 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Re: Project "I was only gonna clean the air filter!"
« Reply #330 on: March 30, 2013, 07:54:28 AM »
Oh by the way......for those of you who have never had the chance to hear this bike or see it in action.......here you go.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6Bq2VN9qQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2h3gd8wQEY
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #331 on: April 01, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
My high $$$ Pingle petcock showed up today.  Here are some pictures showing the various measurements of the Pingle and a few side by side shots of the Pingle and the stocker....

This is what you get for $95......petcock and gasket

Height of the petcock from bottom to its mounting surface

Length of the valvebody and fitting

Width of the valve body

Size of the outlet fitting

Size of the inlet screen

Here is the inlet with the screen removed

Inlet screen size, stocker vs Pingle

O-ring compared to rubber gasket, stocker vs Pingle

Outlet size, stocker vs Pingle (no contest)

The instructions say that you must carefully expand the opening on the tank for the larger petcock screen

Here she is mounted :-D

Now keep in mind........I performed a flow test with both the stocker and the Pingle and there was no contest, the Pingle will empty the tank quick.......however even though the Pingle will outflow the stock petcock, you are still limited by factors such as inline fuel filters and the inlet on the carburetor.  But this thing will not be the weak link when it comes to flow and it adds some major "bling" factor!!
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #332 on: April 01, 2013, 04:42:23 PM »
Thanks for posting the info.
I really appreciate it..
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline motopunk

• www.der-motopunk.de.tl
« Reply #333 on: April 01, 2013, 06:34:12 PM »
I have installed a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket and I have to say that I am in love.....the tall 15/45 gearing has made this bike what it is supposed to be.....rear tire no longer explodes with wheel spin...it now hooks and drives.  The "Flying M" motor has all the grunt in the world to pull this gearing through some technical secitons as well.  You can read the ride report by going here....

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,11397.0.html

the ratio for the secondary drive, you can easily calculate. you just divide the number of teeth on the big sprocket by the number of teeth on the countersprocket.

KX500 stock 47/14 = 3.357
             yours 45/15 = 3.0

i normally use for mx track 50/15 = 3.333

some supermoto guys use 45/16 = 2.813 or 47/16 = 2.9375

the smaller the calculated number, the faster the motorcycle and more control on the rear wheel traction on firm ground.
the larger the calculated number, which is slower motorcycle. gives more power to the rear wheel. you can shift into a higher gear earlier. which is then good for sand or mud tracks.

Change of countersprocket a tooth is about the same as changing the sprocket on the rear wheel of 4-5 teeth.
big 2 stroke bikes are weapons for real men, who don´t fear death or devil. ;O)
´83 kx250, ´87 kx250 (with 360 big bore), 87 kx500, ´93 kx500 sfc

---  www.der-motopunk.de.tl  ---

Offline turdle

« Reply #334 on: April 02, 2013, 01:30:25 AM »
after seeing the picture of your tank, you wouldnt have to trim anything ,to fit the yamaha petcock ,being as its flat. the stock kx tanks are recessed, hence the need for a trim.

Motorrad

« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2013, 05:20:56 PM »
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:42:57 AM by Motorrad »

Offline Charlie500

« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
I have installed a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket and I have to say that I am in love.....the tall 15/45 gearing has made this bike what it is supposed to be.....rear tire no longer explodes with wheel spin...it now hooks and drives.  The "Flying M" motor has all the grunt in the world to pull this gearing through some technical secitons as well.  You can read the ride report by going here....

I've heard if you run the factory countershaft sprocets they will help keep you seal from leaking... Is the renthal sprockets the same thickness as the factory ones?
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

Motorrad

« Reply #337 on: April 18, 2013, 05:42:22 AM »

I've heard if you run the factory countershaft sprocets they will help keep you seal from leaking... Is the renthal sprockets the same thickness as the factory ones?

thats all I have run for MANY MANY years.. without problem

Motorrad

« Reply #338 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:50 AM »
OH NO...

I just took the airfilter off my 350x to clean it, all I did was loosen the hose clamp,  and the crank fell out.      any advice?   :lol:

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:26 AM »
OH NO...

I just took the airfilter off my 350x to clean it, all I did was loosen the hose clamp,  and the crank fell out.      any advice?   :lol:

Advice???...........Yeah........while you are putting it all back together try to find that 4th wheel that it should have :lol:.......Why are you cleaning the air filter??  Do you plan on going somewhere with the 350x?? :-D

Motorrad

« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2013, 06:07:39 AM »

Advice???...........Yeah........while you are putting it all back together try to find that 4th wheel that it should have :lol:.......Why are you cleaning the air filter??  Do you plan on going somewhere with the 350x?? :-D

I leave my spair tire back at camp where it belongs.

Cleaning it because I havnt for about 2.5 seasons. (years).      as.. when your infront all the time.     it doesnt get dirty.    Infact.. While cleaning it,  you would have swarn I cleaned it last week...

the 350x has a killer airbox system.. amazing how clean things stay.

going somewhere.??

yes..

here    (one last run for the season.. before it gets HOT HOT HOT,  and I start driving up to your guys end of the world to ride)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:33:14 AM by Motorrad »

Offline don46

« Reply #341 on: April 23, 2013, 07:48:48 AM »
Oscar,  Did you change the slide or are you running the 6.0 it came with? I think I'm going to try the PWK on my new 500 project, try to get one to run better than the other without getting tooo far apart. should try one of these    http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-green.php
just can't get past the price, I think the Flyin Hawaiian is getting one. I know a guy that has one on a snow bike and swears by it, design looks alot like the old PSI carbs .
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Motorrad

« Reply #342 on: April 23, 2013, 07:59:39 AM »
Oscar,  Did you change the slide or are you running the 6.0 it came with? I think I'm going to try the PWK on my new 500 project, try to get one to run better than the other without getting tooo far apart. should try one of these    http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-green.php
just can't get past the price, I think the Flyin Hawaiian is getting one. I know a guy that has one on a snow bike and swears by it, design looks alot like the old PSI carbs .

The 41pwk he got .. he bought off me...    which I ordered   with a #7 slide in it already.

I didnt realize that the smartcarb was a  Dshape bore.   Hmm  may have to look into those.

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #343 on: April 23, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
Oscar,  Did you change the slide or are you running the 6.0 it came with? I think I'm going to try the PWK on my new 500 project, try to get one to run better than the other without getting tooo far apart. should try one of these    http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-green.php

The 41pwk he got .. he bought off me...    which I ordered   with a #7 slide in it already.

I didnt realize that the smartcarb was a  Dshape bore.   Hmm  may have to look into those.

Yeah.....what he said. :-D

Offline don46

« Reply #344 on: April 23, 2013, 02:38:56 PM »

Thanks, I have 7's and 8's so I can find the right one just looking to go the easy route.

The bore is something like the old PSI The billett APT is $775, I was told the cast are going to be $375
Live today, for tomorrow may never come