Author Topic: searching for a k5 kickstand  (Read 4415 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
searching for a k5 kickstand
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »
anyone know of a good kickstand made for the k5? i know promoto makes a nice one, but i'm checking to see if i can find something maybe just under $100. my bike fell over in our 4wlr/bike shed and layed on my sons xr100 for a few days before my wife found it and it distorted the front fender and right shroud so bad that they need replaced now. i'm sick of stuff like this happening so i'm getting a good kickstand.

Motorrad

Re: searching for a k5 kickstand
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:28:11 AM »
I looked and looked for a good kickstand.   Considered the ones that clamp on the swingArm.  But my bike is so nice I couldn't bring myself to do it..
So then I looked at the one the guy on eBay was selling.. I think someone on here did a writip on it... But it was just a kinked piece of pipe... And didn't fit right if memory serves...

And the fact that for one hour of overtime at work it payed the differance between cheap and hoaky vs the promoto

My promoto stand should show up in the mail today...  I can't wait to get home and look at it's billit goodness...

Got mine for $150.03 shiped to the door
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:35:47 AM by Motorrad »

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »
I'd get the Promoto,  have bought three now for the KX250, KX450 and KX500.    I never have to work on it or adjust, tighten or bend it back.   It just works and is tucked out of the way so well when its up.   Never have to think about it.    One of the better designed products out there.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
I have the bolt-on style on my trail bike. It requires holes drilled in the swingarm then nut-serts to be put in. The tool they provide to put the nut-serts in was junk, luckily my work has the big poprivet style tool for putting them in which made it real slick. And if you have kids you go riding with Kickstands make things alot easier, on all the bikes.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »
I have the bolt-on style on my trail bike. It requires holes drilled in the swingarm then nut-serts to be put in. The tool they provide to put the nut-serts in was junk, luckily my work has the big poprivet style tool for putting them in which made it real slick. And if you have kids you go riding with Kickstands make things alot easier, on all the bikes.CBX

i appreciate the reply, but there is absolutely no way i would ever put any holes in my swingarm. the way things are looking i will probably end up with a pro moto kickstand. msr makes a nice stand and trailtech does too but neither one lists a fitment for the kx500 :cry:

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »

i appreciate the reply, but there is absolutely no way i would ever put any holes in my swingarm. the way things are looking i will probably end up with a pro moto kickstand. msr makes a nice stand and trailtech does too but neither one lists a fitment for the kx500 :cry:

Now you see the hairpulling I went through before I just decided to order the Promoto.

I got the promoto toay... and this thing is BEEFY... much beefyer than danger's pictures make it look..

It took me longer to cut it out of the packaging, and get the tools, than it did to put it on... ITS THAT EASY..

This has to be one of the best designed parts I have ordered for a long time...

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
i guess I'm old school. My bike is either on a crate, or I'm riding it. Sometimes I ride with dual sport guys and I always get asked about what an inconvenience it must be not to have a kickstand. I then thought about it and realized,  I've never had a kickstand on any of my dirt bikes, and to be honest, it's never been a problem. Most of the kickstands I've seen aren't something I would want to put on a race bike, but this promoto unit does look well built.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:11 AM »
i guess I'm old school. My bike is either on a crate, or I'm riding it.
I used to think the same way , but now I'm already drinkin a beer while your still lookin some place to lean your bike :-D.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 06:37:03 AM »
Build one is the best.  Not hard and the instructions and plans are on the site. Cam.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 08:40:41 AM »
I bought that cheap one from Ebay.  Not good quality at all.  The leg bent right in the middle.  Avoid it.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:32:41 AM »
i guess I'm old school. My bike is either on a crate, or I'm riding it.
I used to think the same way , but now I'm already drinkin a beer while your still lookin some place to lean your bike :-D.CBX
I got tired of lugging around a stand or crate...

And as danger said. Finding sOmeone or somthig to hold the bike while I had to water a bush...

Offline D0N

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »
This one came on my k5/ I don't know who made it or where you can get one. It is very sturdy. I can start the bike on the kickstand.

Maybe someone here recognizes it and can point you in the right direction?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
Build one is the best.  Not hard and the instructions and plans are on the site. Cam.

hey cam, i looked around the site but couldn't find the post you are talking about. i would prefer to build one if it is good and it works.

update: i found the post but all the pictures are gone so i don't have an idea what the bend angle would look like. a new picture would be awesome.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:17:27 PM by maddoggy »

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »

hey cam, i looked around the site but couldn't find the post you are talking about. i would prefer to build one if it is good and it works.

update: i found the post but all the pictures are gone so i don't have an idea what the bend angle would look like. a new picture would be awesome.

That is one I have never stumbled apon either... Id like to see... Possibly build one for my 87...

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 05:12:02 PM »
Talking about this thread Cam?

No pictures anymore  :cry: :cry:
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,897.0.html