Author Topic: eating reed valves...  (Read 2161 times)

Fookeneh

eating reed valves...
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:35:30 PM »
I 've heard from a local shop who sponsors a kx500  for road racing has to replace the reed valves about every 3rd race as the stock big bore has an appetite to break small pieces on the corners and make the bike run lean. They told me that is the 1st thing among many to check if it seems the bike is down on power. Has anyone here had this experience?

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
eating reed valves...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 05:46:29 PM »
Not yet, and running about a year on a 500 with a 2mm (20cc) overbore. But, it also depends on the reeds. I'm using Boyesen Power Reeds, but plan on moving to Carbon Tech HT reeds.

Fookeneh

eating reed valves...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 06:58:46 PM »
I haven't checked mine yet, but apparently the breakage can be so small on the corners it is hard to see,but will still affect power significantly.

teamgreen500

eating reed valves...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »
The reeds on a road-racer are running (Flapping, if you will) at very high frequencies for EXTENDED periods of time. This will cause excessive wear and is a good reason to run Fiberglass/Kevlar reeds (Boyseen, I think).

At Long and Fast events (Vegas to Reno), we change the reeds after each event as a precaution. We run Carbon reeds.

Manny

Fookeneh

eating reed valves...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:47:21 PM »
so i checked my reeds and the big flaps are both cracked , causing it to run like  poo. Should be nice with a new set. :wink: