Author Topic: American made tools  (Read 9021 times)

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
American made tools
« on: March 09, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »
This might sound funny coming from a guy who makes his living selling used Japanese products.
But I'll give it a shot.
I have been watching the news about how much of what we buy is made in China.
In the news they have shown that if we were to buy $3.33 on U.S.-made goods, it would create almost 10,000 new jobs in this country.
So, trying to do my part I tried to buy an American made cordless drill at the local lumber yard (Jerry's).
I figured that I would spend about 200-250 USD.
I walked straight to the Milwaukee rack and guess what... made in China.
So I looked at all the major brands and all were made in China, Malaysia, or Mexico.  :?
So I got online and nobody I could find makes a cordless drill in the USA.
Even the Japanese make all their tools in China, Malaysia, or Mexico.
So I go to Snap On.
For sure I'll pay an arm and a leg but at least it is American made...
Nope, made in CHINA!!!!!!
So, buy American??? Tell me how  :?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

Re: American made tools
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:36:37 PM »
This might sound funny coming from a guy who makes his living selling used Japanese products.
But I'll give it a shot.
I have been watching the news about how much of what we buy is made in China.
In the news they have shown that if we were to buy $3.33 on U.S.-made goods, it would create almost 10,000 new jobs in this country.
So, trying to do my part I tried to buy an American made cordless drill at the local lumber yard (Jerry's).
I figured that I would spend about 200-250 USD.
I walked straight to the Milwaukee rack and guess what... made in China.
So I looked at all the major brands and all were made in China, Malaysia, or Mexico.  :?
So I got online and nobody I could find makes a cordless drill in the USA.
Even the Japanese make all their tools in China, Malaysia, or Mexico.
So I go to Snap On.
For sure I'll pay an arm and a leg but at least it is American made...
Nope, made in CHINA!!!!!!
So, buy American??? Tell me how  :?

This would be one way.
http://www.atkusa.com/atk/(S(3uxlsobxyyfx2y55pzl44pyf))/documents/2009ATK700620cc.pdf

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »
Buy me one... Please  :-D
Then again, maybe I should look into becoming a dealer  :-D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:48:16 PM by sandblaster »
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
Buy me one... Please  :-D

Not sure if Ill have enough money left over after buying one of each for myself.

Have been 2 ATK's in the family... STELLER motorcycles..  (both were dual sporter rotax powered 4T's)  and Great parts support..  Id own a ATK in a heartbeat..  I swear you could rebuild the entire bike with a 6mm allen wrench.

when we were riding cross country my cousins 605 was eating chain and sprokets (his fault for running a junky chain)  and he made one phone call to ATK, and they drop shiped a chain and sprockets next day , to our next night stop for us..  no extra charge..

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 02:50:31 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Marco810

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:28:48 PM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator

Offline jonny500

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
we are worse off in the u.k, we make nothing here any more. it also means that almost every thing i buy is very poor quality and doesn't last 5 minutes. this was fair enough when things were cheap but now things have gone up in price. now i here another of the U.S.As high quality manufacturers (snapon) has let its manufacturing be done abroad . we have all seen how that has effected the quality at wiseco. i have always veiwed U.S made goods as high quality and still do, the manufacturers need to be more open about where things are made. i think, in terms of munufacturing the world is going backwards in some ways

Offline jonny500

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 06:14:25 PM »
this is un real. we purchase a set on hair straighteners for my good ladys birthday that was on saturday (5 days ago). i belived remington to be U.S. .just after i wrote the last post in this thread she was whining that the on/off switch was not working. yes you guessed it, made in chain.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 06:22:25 PM »
I agree with you.
Here is the problem for Manufactures.
As an example, Snap On.
You have a cordless drill that you can buy from China and retail for 200 bucks that is the equal to any of the other Manufactures upper model drills.
Who knows, they may be made in the same factory.
Or, they can build one in the USA but have to sell it for 400.
Is the quality twice as good?
Will it last twice as long?
Even if it does, will they sell enough to make it worth their production and development cost?
I hate the word Tariff or Import Fees but I'm not sure there is another way to fix the imbalance.
I did manage to find and purchase a US made brand new in the package Snap On Cordless for 275 on eBay.
I'll do my part to support US manufactures even if it costs more.
I just hope that enough others will join in to make a difference.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:23:58 PM by sandblaster »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 06:23:24 PM »
this is un real. we purchase a set on hair straighteners for my good ladys birthday that was on saturday (5 days ago). i belived remington to be U.S. .just after i wrote the last post in this thread she was whining that the on/off switch was not working. yes you guessed it, made in chain.

And there you have it...

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:57:16 PM »
i do agree that made in america and made in canada stuff are way better than china.
it now seems that all the good north american made stuff is now being made in china
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 01:56:00 AM »
This is why you have to fish around for used power tools made in USA or better yet, NOS stuff if you're lucky. Almost all of my tools are either Snap On, Proto, Mac, or Cornwell and every one of them are made in USA. I'm glad I made my tool collection when these manufactures all still made things in the USA. 

When I want to buy a new drill, I try to search around on ebay. If that's not successful, I will find a Hilti or Metabo that's not made in USA, but the ones I have seen are not made in China.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:24 AM »
I did some research on Hilti tools and found that Production is in Austria, Germany, China (2 plants) and USA.
The big problem is figuring out what tool is made where  :x
Metabo manufactures at three locations in Germany, as well as in France, and - through a joint venture - in China
There again the big problem is figuring out what tool is made where  :x

Offline Marco810

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 03:31:03 AM »

sorry i had too  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 03:57:24 AM »
Nothing against the Chinese people.
They are certainly welcome to have a better life.
I do have something against Corporations that have abandoned their countries and their people that made their Corporation great just to turn a bigger profit.