Author Topic: Help with my top end!!  (Read 4530 times)

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
  • Sikorsky CH-53E the KX500 of Marine Corps aviation
Help with my top end!!
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:49:19 PM »
Here are the questions.....please don't laugh!!

How do I know if my jug needs to be replated?
How much does it cost to replate?
Is there anywhere to replate in southern California?
Does anyone reading this offer replate services with a window mod piston?

work with me people!! :-D
I once heard my buddy Bill ask Danny Hamel after a race....
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Offline meangreen

• My old 89 KX250
Re: Help with my top end!!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
There is tons of info on this site.  For a quick answer - clean the bore with soap and hot water and wipe dry with a paper towel.  Then inspect with good light if there are any places where the Nikasil has worn through.  Check the thin "bridges" between the ports for cracking.  If it looks good, then take it to a reputable machinist so that he can check it with a bore guage - he can check it for taper/egg wear in the bore.

For the other stuff - check this out.

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8788.msg67963.html#msg67963

MG
You know you are having fun when you have dirt on your teeth!

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
nikasil kinda looks goldish,and in places where the ''gold' looks like it has worn then you must replate. my cyl had like a quaters size of plating left. 
plating costed me $360
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Motorrad

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
Where in socal are you??  I have tools to check bore if ur close by

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:49:26 PM »
I'm in Tehachapi, Ca.....its about 20 min north of Lancaster and close to Mojave.  Hey Motorrad....is that K5 registerd on the street?!
"How can someone who looks like a high school band tuba player go so d**n fast on a bike?!"

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:04:40 PM »
Here are the questions.....please don't laugh!!

How do I know if my jug needs to be replated?
How much does it cost to replate?
Is there anywhere to replate in southern California?
Does anyone reading this offer replate services with a window mod piston?

work with me people!! :-D

Okay. now that Im not buying a motorcycle in LA, and driving home, I can answer you better than my last phone post..

Im in San Diego. so we are farther appart than a "Come on over and Ill measure your CLY" ..

Cost.. Really depends, if you need bore, weld, hone, etc etc etc...

here is the break down from UScrome... (keep in mind you still add shipping to this.
SINGLE CYLINDER PRICE SHEET:
 PRICE

Strip, NiCom? Re-plate, Hone to standard size.
 $185.00

Strip, Bore, NiCom? Re-plate, Hone to standard size.
 $215.00

Strip, Weld, Bore, NiCom? Re-plate, Hone to standard size.
 $245.00

No there is no where I know of in socal... your better off shipping it off to one of the BETTER platers vs using local unknown plate quality..

The piston mod is done by a few of our local vendors..

You normaly buy the piston from them, My last one came from Jfab then send off your CYL..

I Know Kaw Rider offers a CYL replate for $180 (base price remember.). done by USCROME (IF i remember right).  and he also does piston mods, (windows, Lightening, etc).

So shoot him a PM.. he currently has my piston, Putting it on a diet of 30grams.

But the $100 question I am going to ask you... Is... what kind of shape is the bottom end in?!  Crank seals need love too... and will bite you in the butt if you ignore them...

*yes its street plated (AZ Plate, CA is an asshole state that wont let me)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:09:18 PM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
also have you stumbled across this yet?

http://www.hallbergs.net/kx500/#21

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
I have family that lives all up and down San Diego.  I spend lots of time down there.  I might have to drop in on ya sometime to check out your Kawi.......Bottom end is also being split and gone through.  The bike had "zero" power before I tore it down.  I am suspecting bad crank seals.  I sent a pm to Kaw rider and I am gonna send him my jug for the special treatment.  Thanks for the info bud.

Motorrad

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:14:20 PM »
I have family that lives all up and down San Diego.  I spend lots of time down there.  I might have to drop in on ya sometime to check out your Kawi.......Bottom end is also being split and gone through.  The bike had "zero" power before I tore it down.  I am suspecting bad crank seals.  I sent a pm to Kaw rider and I am gonna send him my jug for the special treatment.  Thanks for the info bud.

Are you the same USMC 500 over on destry abbots board? when I was posting pics of the bike over there? (asking questions about kx450F suspension, and what geometry destry ran on the K5's)

Unfortunatly my K5 is in pieces (motor wise) right now.. as last motor went POP on thanks giving weekend..

Build up here

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8717.0.html

Offline USMC 500

• Giant Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
Yep!!! Dat be me as well.... :-D.  I've been reading about what happened to ur bike....bummer. :-(....I knew about the situation I just didn't know that it was ur bike I was reading about.  DUDE!!  I just realized something.....I've been trying to find out who was the one who had the Danny Hamel seat!!!  It was you!!  I would have given you anything for that thing.  Danny and I were kinda close and his loss destroyed me when I was 17.  I would have loved to have the seat to go with his trophies and jerseys he gave me.  Does Stewart have it?!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:16:53 PM by USMC 500 »

Motorrad

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:48:39 PM »
Yep!!! Dat be me as well.... :-D.  I've been reading about what happened to ur bike....bummer. :-(....I knew about the situation I just didn't know that it was ur bike I was reading about.  DUDE!!  I just realized something.....I've been trying to find out who was the one who had the Danny Hamel seat!!!  It was you!!  I would have given you anything for that thing.  Danny and I were kinda close and his loss destroyed me when I was 17.  I would have loved to have the seat to go with his trophies and jerseys he gave me.  Does Stewart have it?!

Stewart Has ONE of them.   :cry:.. I had 2... the other one is wrapped up in several bags and in my closet currently..  along with some autographed pics of him and a Pipe off one of his bikes..

Still have hold of this one (Its much prettyer with all the swapmeet scuz whiped off.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:32:26 AM by Motorrad »