Author Topic: some bottom end questions  (Read 24238 times)

Offline tschisi

Re: some bottom end questions
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 04:46:44 PM »
Are you sure the vesrah conrods are better than the hotrods?
The hotrods? packaging says it?s double forged...
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 03:55:22 AM »
I once asked the collective on here about the heat traces but to a man all said thats ok. your cases sound ok if you cant slip bearings in or out, but the hotrods rod is not a good plan.there have been reports of their k5 application not being too clever.I would absolutely not compromise with this.if you can't get a kwak rod, the vesrah is japanese and forged, and I have found no reports of problems with them, and vesrah are an oem supplier.PRO-X rods are supposedly oe quality, but there not forged.and as for double forging,once ought to be enough.my 5 quids worth.K.
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline tschisi

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 04:36:44 AM »
I see.
I managed to order a vesrah, don?t want to risk anything...

For now, only two questions are not really answered for me.

1:
Would you replace only the one gearwheel with the pitting or both?
Some of you posted to replace the wheel, did you mean also the "second wheel"?
(They are very expensive...)

2:
Motorrad explained to freeze the crank with the jig inserted.
Is it a problem to freeze the crank without a jig?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:39:40 AM by tschisi »
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 03:01:17 AM »
I would do them both.you can see marks on the 'good' one caused by the bad one.it is possible to do the crank without a jig, but after going to so much trouble getting everything just 'so', would you want to tweak the crank whilst putting it in? Believe me, you arent the only person on here who asks themself whether the cost is worth the benefit, I know my answer, you're the only one who can decide yours.Keep at it, the smile when the pipe note changes and the bars go light before the poo and giggles come out will make the hassle, expense, and going to sleep thinking about port timing worth it in the end.Or I'm in deep, deep sh%t. :wink:
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''

Offline tschisi

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 03:48:15 AM »
Well, the thing is that i don?t see marks on the good one, i?ll check the price..

I?m planning to use the heat/freeze method for the right crank side (should just slide in?!), and an installer tool for the left side, so i don?t really understand how it could be tweaked?!
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 02:40:28 AM »
an installer is not the same as a jig.the jig sits between crankwheels around conrod and prevents the carefully set distance between crankwheels when being pressed in.you should be okay without one if using heat freeze method.if you look level with the bottom line of red box across to the left you will see in centre of gear what appears to be wear, and the same on 'good' gear in same place.see it?

Offline tschisi

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »
I must be blind, i only see the original notches on the teeth.
i?ll have a closer look at the wheel.
Can i leave it inside when no damages are visible?
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:06 AM »
original notches? you must have 89 on as my 86 doesnt have them.looked like damage from here :roll:

Offline tschisi

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:42 AM »
Yes, mine is a 90.
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline tschisi

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2011, 12:31:09 AM »
Alright, i managed to damage the main seal seat when removing the seal.

Buying two new case halfs is not an option, so i hope this is not a big problem?!
I?ll add case sealant to the outer seal seat anyway.

Would you also replace this shell when doing a bottom end rebuild?
the output shaft?s right bearing runs in it.

2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2011, 04:52:13 AM »
you need to find someone to weld the seal seat piece that broke off back on.preferably a reputable bike engine guy who has experience of fixing cases, and obviously handy at welding ally.as for the bearing sleeve, meaure it with a digital caliper,not sure if specs are in clymer but I'll have a look.make sure the guy you use to fix cases knows his s**t, as your engine will run lean and damage other parts.the seal must seat properly (ie be welded back on straight otherwise seal wont have a uniform surface to seal against) and the weld must be airtight.hth.K.

Offline tschisi

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »
Hm, i don?t want to be ungrateful or advice-resistant, but i think welding near a bearing/seal seat would be the worst because of the warp?!
Can?t imagine the damage is that bad because it?s just a stop for the seat when pushing it in, which is not even present on nowadays engines...

Guess you notice that i do not want to admit it  :wink:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:15:28 AM by tschisi »
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2011, 05:25:41 AM »
guys who do this kind of work know about the heat warpage.there is a company down the road from me(cmm again tuck-o,the six cylinder gsx!)that welded the gsx11 cases and cylinders (an extra cyl each side of the original four) to create a cbx 1000 esque gsx1650,so dont worry about that.it might seal as is,hard to tell by the photo, but personally I wouldnt risk a lean out as they can get expensive.Your call???K.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 05:29:29 AM »
dare I ask what you used to remove the seal??? :-D

Offline tschisi

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2011, 05:32:25 AM »
 :-D

I cut it, very carefully, with a metal-clipper to get it weak.
Then i started to tap it out with a plastic hammer, but forgot to look for the right side/direction.
You can imagine my face then...
2004 kx125
1990 kx500 (sold)