Author Topic: Pro taper chains  (Read 1822 times)

Offline don46

Pro taper chains
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
Anybody running these chains? they look good and have an advertised tensil strength of 8800 lbs.

http://www.protaper.com/products/chains
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
Re: Pro taper chains
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:11:10 PM »
i haven't run this chain but i wouldn't think that pro taper would be sub par. the price looks mid range too. you could go all out with a sidewinder package that would last a guy like you probably 5years if not more. sand riding would lessen the lifespan about 1/3 as a guess. i suppose your hillclimbing is a real test for chains too. lots of torque to test that tinsle rating.

Offline don46

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:55:20 AM »
I bought 2 of them, they look good. on my hillclimb bikes I use Renthal R-1 and change it every 2 years just to be safe, on the 1000 I use a RK DR530 that is good for something like 13,000 lbs. tensile strength.  they probably don't have 5 hours of riding but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for sidewinder, I wouldn't have it in the Garage, the last one I purchased kinked in the like the first month, called them and of course it was something I did, so, no more sidewinders, but they do make decent sprockets.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 04:57:42 AM »
wow, thats the first bad thing i have ever heard about a sidewinder product. good to know. i suppose its a good idea to change chain fairly often on those hillclimbers. it would be very much bad to break a chain in mid run.