Author Topic: Clutch arm bearings  (Read 3903 times)

Offline GreenMachine

Clutch arm bearings
« on: May 20, 2004, 02:48:31 PM »
Does any one have any suggestions on how to get the clutch arm bearings out of the case. I heated the case up to 350 and all the other bearings came out ok, but I cannot get the clutch arm bearings out. I really wouldn't be worried about them 'cept wheb I was tearing every thing apart I lost some needles out of the bearings.

Thanks for any help,
Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

kawdude

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 03:06:25 PM »
The top one you should be able to knock out with a hook.  The bottom one is more difficult.  I changed mine by drilling a hole in the bottom of the tube and then took a punch to knock it out the top.  Closed the hole with JB Weld.  People will tell you that there is a puller that will grab it but I couldn't find one.  Finding one small enough for the bearing was tough but finding one long enough and small enough appears impossible.  However, it could be made.

Rick

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 03:27:48 AM »
This is a tough one.  I have never had to replace these bearings, but it seems that Kawdude may have the answer with the drill method.  Let us know how you finally get this little bearing out.

Rick

kawdude

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 05:05:55 AM »
Before I did mine, I posed the question to my dealer.  They didn't know...but suggested a puller.  I just never found one that was small and long.

Folke

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2004, 07:15:04 AM »
You have to us 3 things, Bolt,washer and nut.

Rick

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 09:50:16 AM »
I had a thought.  A concrete anchor exands as the nut is tightened.  If you get one long enough, and were careful, will it work to grap the bottom of the bearing and pull it upward?

Here is another:  You can remove a flywheel pilot bearing on a car by packing the void behind the bearing with grease, inserting the right size bolt into the bearing and smacking the bolt gently with a hammmer.  As the bolt goes in, the grease pushes the bearing out.  Will this same principle work to remove this bottom bearing?  As the bearing come out, you will need to continue to add grease to keep the bearing moving upward.

What do you think?  Worth a try?

Rick

kawdude

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 01:14:13 PM »
Great Ideas and both are worth a try.

I don't know if the grease idea will work because its a needle bearing and there is no void at the bottom.  I would think the grease would just squirt around the needles.

try'em they might work!  I hated drilling the case but have had no ill effects.

Offline GreenMachine

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 05:45:36 AM »
Hmmmm, I thought I posted a reply to this already, but it doesn't seem to be showing up. I got the bearings out. The ideas are good ones, but this is what I used to get em out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5469

Worked like a charm. Came with a hook and expandable claw. The hook fits right in the case. I had to remove the burs on the expandable claw to make it fit, but it does fit also. And maybe a slight bit of grinding)

I will be making a set of hardened hooks for the expandable claw cause the ones that came with it are very soft and I pretty much destroyed the ends of then getting the bottom bearing out.

Thanks for you input and I hope this helps some one else out also.

Later,
Jody
Even the mightiest of oaks was once just a crazy nut that stood its ground.

kawdude

Clutch arm bearings
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:53:37 AM »
Cool.  I almost bought that puller from HB to do the job but didn't think it would fit.