Author Topic: KIPS BOLT MOD  (Read 27568 times)

Offline delphipro5

Re: KIPS BOLT MOD
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 05:42:41 AM »
Yes, use the stock washer. On the tension thing I am not sure. Since we are buying these modded bolts from KAW then I would go with what he says(here we go with the accountability thing again!).- "You want some pressure on the linkage."- What I think he means by that is you just don't want it loose as a goose.

**These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any type of engine disease.**

There, that sould take care of it for me and Kaw. If anyone reads this then blows up thier engine. :-D :-D

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:38 AM »
I don't what to go into a deep story on why you what little pressue on the wheel.

I would try neutral and little pressue and see what you like.

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
I'm going to make an educated guess and go with kaw rider's suggestion of "a little pressure". I'm going to race this bike in Hare & Hounds and European Scrambles, so this means dead engine start. I looks like the purpose of the KIPS over rotation was to bleed off some compression. If I notice that it's harder to kick over after the KIPS bolt mod, I will have to do the compression release mod! I love this site.

When I decided to race the KX500, I never realized that I would come across modifications that seem to be good advancements without sacrificing reliability. I watched my old man desert race KX250s for years and it was amazing how competitive he was with a stock motor, and a really well prepared machine with a lot of attention to detail. He never had a DNF, wish I  could say the same! Of course, being a young gearhead, he would laugh at me messing with reeds, jets, pipes, etc. to squeeze more power out of my bikes, and he used to say, "just hold it open for a few more seconds than a competitor with all of that high performance BS, and it won't matter. A stock machine in good tune is always more reliable!" Well, that's desert racing, but the gearhead in me still wants to see how much power can be made with any motor I own.

Offline alward25

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »
Going to revisit this.  Looking to make a batch.  Any interest?  I can do an anodized hex head plug or look at doing the stealth allen head like stock.  Would not be made to order, but have them packaged on the shelf ready to ship.  $20 delivered is what it looks like I can do them for to get my money back make maybe $5 fro my time.  I really like this mod and for the guy getting into K5's or are neck deep in them is a good place to start. Thoughts?

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »
I need one....
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Motorrad

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 03:23:44 PM »
I need a stealth one made of Titanium.

Offline alward25

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 04:13:59 PM »
I need one....

U have one, check the cylinder I sold u :wink:
"Let there be light"

Offline alward25

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
I need a stealth one made of Titanium.

might be a couple bucks more than $20, but I will see what I can do.  I found a source.......
"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »
I need one....

I know.
I need another  :lol:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline alward25

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »
I need one....

I know.

u probably want a titanium one too....
"Let there be light"

Motorrad

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 05:15:57 PM »
I need one....

I know.
I need another  :lol:

If he wants a titanium one.   I want a Waspaloy one.   just to be differant.

sorry. enough hijacking.   Im done.   :-P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 05:17:56 PM by Motorrad »

Motorrad

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
oh. and as for setting up the kips with a modded bolt.

I now set them up as follows.

Set arm at neutral pressure with STOCK BOLT.             tighten down.

remove stock bolt. install modded bolt.   so the kips are preloaded. and will open at same RPM as stock.

Done.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 05:27:11 PM »
I need one....

I know.

If it is an option, why not?    8-)

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
I'm in for one. I don't need "BLING" like Motorrad and Sandblaster though. Mine gets ridden in the dirt :P
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Motorrad

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:47 PM »
I'm in for one. I don't need "BLING" like Motorrad and Sandblaster though. Mine gets ridden in the dirt :P

Titanium dont rust.   and is lighter.. hell its probably good for like 1gram    know how much faster youll be with a bike thats 1gram lighter???!!