Author Topic: On the subject of engine work  (Read 20461 times)

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: On the subject of engine work
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:50 AM »
dont give up this quick. take some time off on this build and come back refreshed.

Offline don46

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
Dude,

Take a deep breath, a step backwards and regroup. I've spent thousands on hair brained ideas, some worked some didn't but I never let it discourage me. Some of what I've read about your build was to lose some power to make it more rider friendly, if that is the case don't worry about the stator, in fact if the goal was to make a good trail bike I wouldn't have ponied up for the carb either, get it together, ride it and have fun, believe me you can have as much fun with 60 hp as with 65hp. Hinson quit making clutch baskets several years ago, there may be some around as surplus, I have one and I can say it has held up incredibly. I wouldn't buy a Pro X unless I really needed a new basket, I would go for the Talon it is a nice basket as well.

Kaw rider mentioned 4.4, it was good stuff but in a 2t I would use the Q16 or maybe the MR12 (about $25 a gallon but helped us win a national championship) for the trail rider/play rider I would use something like vp C-12 or equivilent. Oh by the way I have part of a barrel of 4.4 that somebody could have for free if they come and get it. I'm in MT
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Motorrad

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
 :-o :-o  Just dropped in here. havnt been in this thread for a while ... Yikes.

What Happened to the motor??!!

No help from anyone??

Pm me, Ill give you my phone number, and will answer any questions I can, no matter how long it takes.    :mrgreen:

Thanks Kaw that's fantastic. I guess I pretty much just threw-up on this engine by letting this guy get his hands on it! I'M PISSED, I don't even know anymore. Whatever, F#@K it honestly. It's getting to the point that I don't even have the will to finish this whole agenda. NO help from anyone. Still 20 degrees outside. Maybe I should just take up shoveling snow as a hobby. I was going to post pics of the carb. I just got back from dick's, but screw it. I'm not even useing it anyway. And I don't even like what I see for a # of reasons. Oh-well I'm going to go watch some tv and actually enjoy my time off for a change. It's cheaper too, since all I seem to be able to get done right on this build is spend $$ :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 09:50:39 AM »
Dude,

Take a deep breath, a step backwards and regroup. I've spent thousands on hair brained ideas, some worked some didn't but I never let it discourage me. Some of what I've read about your build was to lose some power to make it more rider friendly, if that is the case don't worry about the stator, in fact if the goal was to make a good trail bike I wouldn't have ponied up for the carb either, get it together, ride it and have fun, believe me you can have as much fun with 60 hp as with 65hp. Hinson quit making clutch baskets several years ago, there may be some around as surplus, I have one and I can say it has held up incredibly. I wouldn't buy a Pro X unless I really needed a new basket, I would go for the Talon it is a nice basket as well.

Kaw rider mentioned 4.4, it was good stuff but in a 2t I would use the Q16 or maybe the MR12 (about $25 a gallon but helped us win a national championship) for the trail rider/play rider I would use something like vp C-12 or equivilent. Oh by the way I have part of a barrel of 4.4 that somebody could have for free if they come and get it. I'm in MT

+1
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
:-o :-o  Just dropped in here. havnt been in this thread for a while ... Yikes.

What Happened to the motor??!!

No help from anyone??

Pm me, Ill give you my phone number, and will answer any questions I can, no matter how long it takes.    :mrgreen:

Thanks Kaw that's fantastic. I guess I pretty much just threw-up on this engine by letting this guy get his hands on it! I'M PISSED, I don't even know anymore. Whatever, F#@K it honestly. It's getting to the point that I don't even have the will to finish this whole agenda. NO help from anyone. Still 20 degrees outside. Maybe I should just take up shoveling snow as a hobby. I was going to post pics of the carb. I just got back from dick's, but screw it. I'm not even useing it anyway. And I don't even like what I see for a # of reasons. Oh-well I'm going to go watch some tv and actually enjoy my time off for a change. It's cheaper too, since all I seem to be able to get done right on this build is spend $$ :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

+1
DoldGuy

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 09:53:13 AM »
Now think about your user name! You did not earn that by throwing in the towel now did you? We are here to help! :-D
DoldGuy

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:41 AM »
I know :-( im just ticked off because I knew that was going to be the case with the plate job. :oops:
As far as no help, I meant the people around me, no interest whatsoever. You guys are a great help. At this point I am impatiently waiting to get my engine back from the builder so I can look it over Really Good and see how it all looks. You can't win them all I guess... but at least one would be nice.

So here are the carb. pics. I am not too sure about it, I wish he at least wrote what jetting it had on the side of it with a sharpie! :-( It is supposed to have the sticker on it with all the jet info, I guess he ran out of stickers! :wink: All the paperwork says is Carb. Mods.?? I'm not sure he even opened it up, but I can't see how he could not have. Also looks like there is still quite a bit of machining dust still in the thing! I don't like the way the idle screws getting jammed by it and there is a small blue hose thats kinked in behind too. I couldnt get a good pic of it but it's right next to the idle screw to the left. And I wish I had known before that the dial-a-jet makes the carb. no longer usefull if removed! Unless you plugged the hole in the float bowl and intake. I do not think I really Need to use this-and I already have a brand new Carb. sitting in the shop in a box from carb parts wherehouse. This seems like overkill to me. WELL I gotta say this has been one hell of a learning experience! :lol:
Almost forgot the pics!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:20:43 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
Dude,

Thanks for the pick me up. by the way, I have settled on VP's C-10

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 11:37:20 AM »
I thought you guys would be more interested in the carb!

I was talking to my dad, and he told me that the dial-a-jet has been around for a while, and that it was made by thunder products???
 Dick is selling it like it is HIS NEW Gadget!
 I show my father the carb. and he's like "oh yea ive seen those" THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! NO INTEREST! I have been talking about this carb. job for a month and it's like he didn't hear a word I said! He used to run a "performance harley"(oxymoron) shop for a few years and he has seen it all before, BUT he has no interest in helping me with this? :x Whatever  :x

Has anyone run one of these? Thunder Products claims you don't have to jet anymore with one of these, just adjust the D-A-J? That sounds fishy :?

Offline russ

• my 1989 k5
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
what does that do and whats the clear line go to and whats that on the end of it
bikes

1989 kx500

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:57 PM »
 Hey Russ,
 The clear line is a vent with a fuel filter and open cell foam to keep the carb from ingesting dirt.
99.9% of carb vents are open to the atmosphere, as the fuel level rises and falls in the bowl it will pull in dust.
  There are several posts here on the subject. Camm22 had a really neat set up using billet washable R/C fuel filters.

The blue line is a fuel take-off from the bowl to the Dial.
As the air is pulled past the brass tube in the mouth of the carb it is at lower pressure than atmosphere, additional fuel is drawn  in the intake airstream.
   The amount of fuel varies by how much you "dial" in, or out.
You still have to jet the carb, but the Idea is that you can simply adjust the jetting using the dial instead of swapping out  pilots and mains. 
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2011, 09:38:41 AM »
OK, I got my engine back from the builder and it LOOKS GOOD! :-D :-D
 I am a fairly happy camper. I have been stressing this whole thing like crazy latley and I think I finally got over it. If you are spending boku $$ on a project, and learning the whole thing for the FIRST TIME, some thing you have been dying to do for 18yrs of your life, your bound to get a little up-tite about it!
 Sorry for the bitchin in some of my posts, it was never directed toward anybody here. I'm Learning a LOT, and learning how to have FUN with it too! :wink:
( I took a look at the plate job... as far as I can tell it looks good. )

SO, with that out of the way- Here are some pics of the engine. I have had very little time latley so my bench is a mess! And I really did not have time to take pics, so I just snapped a few shots. LOOKS GOOD SO FAR($1'450.00 worth of "good so far"!). Thanks for all the know how guys. MORE LATER!

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-o :-o :-o :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 09:49:06 AM by delphipro5 »

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »
looks good, is that a coated base gasket or a paper one.

Offline delphipro5

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:09 PM »
Paper, I unfortunately got a gasket kit ahead of time and gave it to him when I dropped it off for the build... and he used them. In hindsight I think the gaskets were kind of junk, but if need be they can be replaced. He red rtv'd the exaust crush ring up in the jug too.. and that came from that kit.... I think I want to take that out of there and put a OEM one in.... I bought three of the things! I did not have time today to do a serious look over but I will soon. I'm sure I will find a few things I want to mess with. :-D

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
keep an eye on the base gasket, the paper ones are prone to blow.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.