Author Topic: 5 huddie strikes back  (Read 2890 times)

Offline allan1353

5 huddie strikes back
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:07:21 AM »
had a strange thing happen to my bike where the throttle stuck wide open going into a berm and shot me off what seemed like into space. damage done was dislocated, 7 fractures and a split bone in my wrist.

had anyone had this problem before? It's never done this before. throttle was working smooth before this. had a full tank of fuel and the fuel shut off was on.  haven't checked it out since getting out of the hospital

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
Re: 5 huddie strikes back
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
bad luck i guess
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom

Offline weymouth399

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
I had a buddy of mine flip my brand new 96 kx250 all the way around, and stuff it to the ground. (never touched the rear fender)
He claimed the throttle stuck, always worked for me. I fixed the broken stuff took it for a ride perfect, no throttle stick.
About 2 weeks later 10 or so gallons of gas, it happened to me, luckly I was already at speed pinned in 4th. (scary but could have been worst) I hit the kill button pulled to the edge of the track. Checked how it moved thru the cable nothing wrong.

Got it home, totaly pulled carb apart inspected the body and slide there was a burr on both parts. It looked like a casting flaw on slide that caused the body to burr also.

other than bad cable routing, frayed cable,inproperly adjusted cable,dirt in carb
Hope this helps Bob W
93 KX500 ice bike for sale
00 KX 500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt
04 Kx 500 ice bike
08 KLX 450 on/off
72CT90x2 for sale
76LB80Chappy
86FJ1200
89FJ1200

Offline Marco810

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 12:34:51 PM »
Ive has it happen to me once on my old bike then never happened again was strange
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:36:26 PM by Marco810 »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
I had it happened when I borrowed a buddies bike to ride.
Everything was fine for about 15 minutes and then the throttle stuck wide open as I was going into a corner.
Ate a full plate of taco's and burritos  :-D
I took the bike back to the truck and started with the throttle assembly.
It was totally packed with sand and dirt.
Pulled it apart cleaned it all out and it worked fine.
It was then that I learned a valuable lesson.
When riding a new bike for the first time, make sure the kill switch works and is in a position you can get to.... :-o
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »
 Hey Allen,
Sorry to hear about the accident..  Stuck Throttle Condition is serious on any bike, but a 500 twosmoke can be deadly...

There may be several scenario's that lead to this.    If the little clip on the top of the carb came loose the sheath on the cable can get hung up on the slack adjuster on the top of the carb.

A frayed throttle cable may hang in the sheath,   a cable may have picked up some sand or dirt,  the slide may have picked up sand or dirt, and the throttle housing itself may have been the culprit.   

When you are back on your feet all you can do is take your time and watch each part of the system for any suspicious characters.   

Remove your carb and look for signs of scrathing, peeling of the chrome off the aluminum slide, and or dirt / sand on the slide or in the carb body.

If the throttle hosing,  throttle tube,  cable and carb check out.  You may have had and air leak and leaned out the engine to a point of auto ignition.   It's not too far fetched to get the piston, plug or piece of carbon to the point of igniting off the fuel air mixture when the conditions are right.

I'll put a good word in for you to have a speedy and complete recovery !  :wink:
    Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline flyingfitz

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 03:14:08 AM »
This scenario ran through my mind all the time when I was running the revloc clutch.  Strongly reccommend the override model of any autoclutch.

Fitz

Offline allan1353

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »
feeling alot better , thank guys
 was looking at it yesterday and it looked like it might had a air leak. it was wet right where the intake boot goes on the reed valve<----- not sure the proper name of the part. didn't check the cable or carb yet.
I will as soon as I'm able too. You all have a good day