Author Topic: south texas hog hunt trip  (Read 3739 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
south texas hog hunt trip
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »
hey guys, i'm going wild hog hunting with my dad and one older brother at the end of this month in south texas. just wondering if any of you have done this and have any advice to share. i already have snake gaiters on the way from cabelas so i think i will be mostly snake proof.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: south texas hog hunt trip
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »
If you get a Sal that is really ticked off..... Don't miss  :-D
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:11:59 AM »
ya, i'll try not to get too close. i really don't want to encounter those sharp tusks in action. we will shoot in low light alot of the time using my night vision equipment. we notified texas game and fish of the night hunting and they are ok with it.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:35:46 PM »
No but I have been Cow Tipping!  :-D
DoldGuy
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:54:10 PM »
I didnt think they had cows in VA.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:06:40 PM »
I didnt think they had cows in VA.

Sure do & 70* weather yesterday :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For you Hunters out there.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:12:44 PM by DoldGuy »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:47:55 PM »
Wild or feral hog as my little brother calls them are a very big problem in OK and TX.  He hunts them every way he can, even traps them.  They can destroy vast areas of crop land in a single night.  They get so bad the Wildlife Dept. will shoot them from helicopters.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
I almost forgot to tell you, don't shoot any University of Texas cheerleaders, it easy to mistake them for a hog.  The difference is the cheerleaders have a tagged ear.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:59:09 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
Are you back, or just leaving?
"Endeavor to persevere."

Motorrad

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »
hey guys, i'm going wild hog hunting with my dad and one older brother at the end of this month in south texas. just wondering if any of you have done this and have any advice to share. i already have snake gaiters on the way from cabelas so i think i will be mostly snake proof.

I know they smell really bad when you hit them at 65mph with a coors truck...     yea no fun washing that off... and picking it out of the grill.. they pretty much EXPLODE.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:55:22 AM »
i haven't gone on the hunt yet. i leave on friday morning at 3 am headed for texas and 80 degree weather. its 16 degrees here at home right now and forecast to be below zero on friday. sunburn, here i come. i'll be sure to post up a hunt report with a couple pics when i get back. i hope it works out that i can go cause yesterday i went to the doc and found out i have bronchitis and sinus infection. with the prescriptions he gave me, he said i should feel ok by thursday nite. i hope so cause i don't want to leave town with a serious illness. i talked to BDI on the phone today and my chest is so bad he could hardly hear me. fingers crossed, and prayers going up!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 11:27:53 AM »
well, i did get to go on the hunt and i was successfull. i shot 3 seperate hogs in the fields and we trapped 3 others in a live trap. it was 8 below zero at my house when we left that friday and when we arrived in texas that saturday it was 94 degrees in the afternoon. a body shock to say the least. the next 4-5 days were in the mid 70s to low 80s and made for good hunting. the ranch owner and all the hands treated us like family, it couldn't have been better. my dad didn't get anything and my brother shot one but it got across the river to safety, so neither of them got a hog in the field. all in all it was a really fun time and it was great to spend time with my dad and brother(don't get to see my bro very often). we think we will go back again in a year or 2.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:36:32 AM by maddoggy »

Offline wierdo

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:34 PM »
Some guys here in Aussieland use bikes and dogs for hunting pigs. Maybe next time  take the iron horse you might be able to round up a few towards your brother and father. Sometimes I use my k5 for tracking and chasing water buffalo, sometimes they end chasing me but  give up after being roosted on. The last time a mate and myself baited a  10 mtr round pig trap with a garbage bin full of fermenting mangos, we came back 3 days later only to find one hind leg of a pig, we stood there trying to work out what had happened when we heard some movement on the other side of the enclosure amongst some tall grass. Turned out to be a 3mtr salt water croc. We then had to decide who was going in to get him out so we could reset the trap. All good clean fun...