Author Topic: Foot Pegs.  (Read 4501 times)

FastKX500

Foot Pegs.
« on: May 13, 2004, 11:12:44 PM »
Anyone know where i can get a set of cheap footpegs for my 500? I have looked and I dont really want to pay 80 bucks for footpegs lol. Thanks Guys. -Kayne

Rick

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 03:54:38 AM »
I did some damage to mine in the recent crash, so just fixed and widened the stock set.  Cheap and fun...

mikesmith

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 06:35:35 AM »
If there sloppy from the pin hole getting oveled out,Ty Davis sells a bushing kit.

FastKX500

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 06:54:42 AM »
Yea they are very sloppy.

Rick

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 07:10:22 AM »
I opted for ZipTy's replacement bolt on mount, as mine was broken in the crash.  I thought I would need bushings, but the new mount did the trick.  Looks way strong.  The only problem I had was that the mounting holes were a little too far apart.  The screws would go in, but I was affraid they would strip, so I elongated the top hole by about 1/16 inch, and the screws went in just fine.  

On the rear brake side, the mount was just a little sloppy, so I adjusted with a 5 pound adjustment tool (hammer for those who are not sure).  After all the riding I have done, the weld on mount was holding up fine, so the slight adjustment should work for a couple more years.

Now I just can't wait to ride again.   :cry: This weekend, I'll install the new ZipTy pipe and build a couple of new rubber mounts...and then just wait.  Fortunately, the collar bone healing time gives me a chance to have hand surgery to fix a finger that was damaged a while ago.  The doc said a 10 day heal time, so should coincide with the timing of my collar bone.  They are even going to let me stay awake and watch the surgery.  Too cool.  Maybe if I need more hand work I can do it myself next time.  :wink:

Rick

ruputa

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 10:27:06 AM »
that's the can do spirit Rick!!! haha

Twist-a-grip

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 01:33:01 PM »
Rick, heal fast and then have some fun.  How is Your son recovering?
  I knew there was a reason I married a nurse! :shock:
John

Rick

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 02:56:31 AM »
John,

Ben is doing just fine.  He's young, so healed really fast.  We are both going nuts being off a bike for so long.  When you consider we ride 500-700 miles a month, sitting around is just plain wrong.  I was tempted to go for a ride last weekend, but decided to just wait it out.  With the hand surgery, I will be forced to missed at least one more weekend, so maybe the weekend of May 29/30 will be the ticket.

Since we missed so many races, the National and Regional series is am wash for 2005.  I also a little concerned about getting Ben in the Team Green program for 2005 for the same reason.  Did really well in the first two Nationals he rode this year (20th overall in the first one), and since he is only 14, maybe all will be OK.

In any case, we are certainly looking forward to riding again. :?

Rick

teamgreen500

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 03:08:12 PM »
About the Benjamins... 8)

If you really want to spend your $ smartly...

Get the big stout IMS pegs and be done with it.

Good money spent once.

I can appreciate the approach to fixxing things yourself; however, for me, stock pegs are just like John Kerry... :roll:

I don't trust 'em! :lol:

Ricks trick will work fine...I'm probably just too lazy and think I'm still fast...

I am I am I am...must drink the kool-aid...

Manny

Rick

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 03:26:07 AM »
Manny,

My kids think I am so cheap that I don't even have to walk to squeak.  What they don't realize is that my frugalness has already rubbed off on them.  I just LOVE molding a young skull full of mush.  Ha, Ha, Ha...

Rick

kawdude

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 03:30:38 AM »
Last weekend I hooked the left peg on a stump and ripped the bracket right off the frame.  Pegs were scratched up but not bent at all.  I was impressed with the stoutness of my weld job!

mikesmith

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 09:20:01 PM »
Left or right peg?

kawdude

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 03:00:10 AM »
left one with the bolt on bracket.  bracket is busted up real good.

Rick

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 04:55:56 AM »
Looks like Kawdude will be spending a little money with Ty...

mikesmith

Foot Pegs.
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 07:48:52 AM »
Destry lost (tore off) the bolt on mount and tried to helicoil it in,but the neckt race he did it came loose.So go with the weld on if the threads are damaged.