Author Topic: Rear brake lever  (Read 2182 times)

ruputa

Rear brake lever
« on: May 08, 2004, 02:57:10 AM »
Hello all, Took my KX5 out for the first serious ride of the season yesterday. Must have it dialed in very good because it has earned my total respect!

For me, it is hard to get my right foot on the rear brake lever while I am standing up and the KX is standing up (wheeling). So, I am going to cut a 5 degree V out of the brake lever after the arch in the straight section of the lever. Tig weld the two newly angled sections together.

I think this should allow for easier access to the lever. What do you guys think??

Jeff

P.S.  For you guys having tuning troubles..I ride in the range of 500 to 1000 Ft. above sea level...FMF Gnarly pipe...172 main...62 pilot...not sure of the needle jet size, think it too thin. Stock reeds...great low to mid..still alittle fat on top. I am going to change to a thicker needle jet. The fatness on top doesn't bother me though, rarely am I that flat out on the Big Green Monster anyway!!!!

mikesmith

Rear brake lever
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 06:33:39 AM »
I like my pedal so Its high enough that I need to lift my foot to use it,Its all what works for you.Id suggest a very small notch if you do cut it.

ruputa

Rear brake lever
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 10:46:15 AM »
Thanks for your input Mike....Yea I am only talking about 5 degrees total

Offline demographic

Rear brake lever
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 09:41:27 AM »
Would it not be simpler to cut a the threaded part of the adjuster down with a hacksaw?

Seems so to me :)

ruputa

Rear brake lever
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 11:29:09 AM »
maybe...but, I would loose future adjustment and take all the fun out of tig welding. Thank you for your input!!!

ruputa

Rear brake lever
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 01:52:27 PM »
Just got back from my shop and installed the newly angled rear brake lever and LOVE it. Lots easier to find standing on the pegs. I cut a 5 degree V and welded back together. The aluminum Kawasaki used in the lever is really cheap, pretty hard to weld.
Jeff