Author Topic: I contacted Falicon about purchasing some knife rods.  (Read 17101 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: I contacted Falicon about purchasing some knife rods.
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 02:02:30 PM »
We shot peen oil field parts for machine shops.  We peen drill rods that are used to bore under the road for utility right of way.

Shot peening is a cold working process used to produce a compressive residual stress layer and modify mechanical properties of metals. It entails impacting a surface with shot (round metallic, glass, or ceramic particles) with force sufficient to create plastic deformation.[1] It is similar to sandblasting, except that it operates by the mechanism of plasticity rather than abrasion: each particle functions as a ball-peen hammer. In practice, this means that less material is removed by the process, and less dust created.

Peening a surface spreads it plastically, causing changes in the mechanical properties of the surface. Shot peening is often called for in aircraft repairs to relieve tensile stresses built up in the grinding process and replace them with beneficial compressive stresses. Depending on the part geometry, part material, shot material, shot quality, shot intensity, shot coverage, shot peening can increase fatigue life from 0?1000%.
KX 500 Rider

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
+1
I had the rods shot peened on a hi-per 4.3 Chevy Vortec V-6 that was the test bed for many different products 20-25 years ago.
We blew the stock rods to pieces.
After shot peening was done to the stock rods I could wind the springs out of that engine and never had another rod problem.
I did blow a few other parts over time but the rods were sweet.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 06:31:30 AM »
leave the hotrods well alone, theres a vid on utube where the guy checks a new kx250 croank and rod assembly(taiwan) and it was junk before he ever ran it.vesrah are forged too, worth a look...
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline L.W.

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 07:09:33 AM »
GREETINGs, When will thay be made :|  L.W.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 01:18:52 PM »
That's a great question.
Since I sent them both measurements I have not heard another word from them  :x
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.