Author Topic: '85 KX80... Help!  (Read 4379 times)

jeffink.c.

'85 KX80... Help!
« on: May 09, 2004, 09:35:49 AM »
Just got my old bike out of several years of storage.  Got it running after a bit, but it's still very difficult to start and keep going.  Then just a few minutes ago, a lot of gas started pouring out of the bottom and i looked and realized that all of the crankcase oil has been replaced by gasoline.  I don't understand how gas could be getting in the crankcase.  any help here?  i just want to get the bike running for fun, don't want to spend a lot of money on it.  any info greatly appreciated.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
'85 KX80... Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 04:31:22 PM »
Do you know it is Gas or water? Did you smell it? If so, your carb is leaking fuel into the cylinder, which means your crank half gasket is worn and leaking into the tranny. I'd split the crank and replace the gasket and then rebuild the carb, or clean it.

Rick

'85 KX80... Help!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 03:40:50 AM »
My son had a 1986 KX80, and I don't think it used a gasket to seal the cases.  If I remember, it only required case seal the same as newer models.  While it still could be leaking, I would suspect the wet side seal first.  I think both the dry side and wet side seals are replacable without splitting the cases, and are relatively cheap, so probably worth a replacement before you split the cases.  (I would replace both of them, as a bad dry side seal can lean the bike and lunch the big end rod bearing.)

It also sounds like your needle and seat are not sealing well enough to shut off the fuel, or your float may need some attention.  In any event, the entire problem may be as simple as cleaning the carb and changing a few seals.

Good luck

Rick