Author Topic: Interesting read  (Read 3181 times)

Motorrad

Interesting read
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
Short but interesting what gorr was saying.  Especially about devoul's bike
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=31667

"In 1990 Ted Devol had a KX500 with dual manifolds exiting off the sides of the cylinder head. He bolted expansion chambers with closed ends, adapted from radio controlled airplanes. It was the coolest lookin thing"
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:04:54 PM by Motorrad »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Interesting read
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
Hey Motorrad.
That was an interesting read.
Thanks!
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 12:08:01 AM »
Be interesting to see if they ever built that head!
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
qoute from eric gorr from that same thread.  qoute: If I had some spare time and a slab of billet to widdle upon, I'd build a head for the KX500 that looks like this.
Removable and can be shimmed for piston clearance. Shaped with a 2-4 degrees divergent squish.

Roostdaddy, he need to read this thread to see what he also was recommending, maybe that 15-18 degree squish was for pump gas.

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 08:10:47 AM »
I've read that before and he's got me baffled.   :?
The only reason I could think of for the 18* is to try and take away compression and put you in a certain cc. range in the chamber.  Or maybe it is for pump gas, wish we could get him to participate along with Rich and Wes.  Things would be pretty crazy with the stuff they have tried or saw.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »
E.G talket about... "with two spark plugs at 90 degrees to each other, positioned over the transfer ports and angled towards the intake side of the cylinder."
Already done on sidecarsengine for years with 500++cc.... 8-)
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:07:33 PM »
Short but interesting what gorr was saying.  Especially about devoul's bike
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=31667

Wow, small world. That was me (LJW), second guessing Kawasaki's cylinderhead design. I didn't like it 9 years ago, and I still don't.

Larry

Motorrad

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 02:12:42 PM »
I was more interested in Devols bike with the "resonators"... Have been trying to find a picture of it.. but cant....   

The dual plug idea is a nifty one... what did they do for ignition?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:15:06 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
I was more interested in Devols bike with the "resonators"... Have been trying to find a picture of it.. but cant....   

The dual plug idea is a nifty one... what did they do for ignition?

I believe the model airplane pipes on the Devol bike was just for bling. I've never seen it myself, but Eric mentions it everytime the conversation turns to KX500's. Must have been cool, because it made quite an impression on him.

I was hot to put a dual plug coil from a snowmobile on a bike. What I didn't like about the sled coils, was the fact that they fired one plug with correct polarity, the other reverse polarity. The energy jumps from the center electrode to the ground strap on the first plug. Then the energy conducts through the cylinder head, plug shell and ground strap before arcing back to the center electrode of the second plug. A$$ backwards and requires a lot more energy. The inline 4 cylinder road bikes use the same scheme to fire cylinder pairs 1&3 and 2&4 together. I set my '75 900 Z1 up with one automotive coil per plug and was very happy with the results. The new coil on plug technology would be cool to try on a KX if you had enough space to fit it on the bike without relocating things like pipes and tanks. Hard to find room for 2 plugs the way it is now.

Larry