Author Topic: '03 K5 fork  (Read 4765 times)

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
'03 K5 fork
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Is there any way to determine the year of a fork?  I have replaced my fork seals three times in three rides.  I know it's not me hurting them etc. upon installation, so I have realized that the fork is not the same year as the rest of the bike and the stanchions are a different diameter.  I need to find out what year it is in order to put in the proper seals.

TIA-
Silly Rabbit, tricks are for hookers.

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
Re: '03 K5 fork
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
Hello.
If you can send me the following info:
CHROME OD: ?mm -
Top of fork cap to axle C/L: ?" -
UPPER triple clamp mounting area OD: ?MM -
LOWER triple clamp mounting area OD: ?MM -
BRAKE MOUNT C/L to C/L: ?MM -
AXLE diameter: ?MM
And, any writing at the bottom of the fork tubes, I'll see if I can get it for you.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 03:28:55 AM »
Hello.
If you can send me the following info:
CHROME OD: ?mm -
Top of fork cap to axle C/L: ?" -
UPPER triple clamp mounting area OD: ?MM -
LOWER triple clamp mounting area OD: ?MM -
BRAKE MOUNT C/L to C/L: ?MM -
AXLE diameter: ?MM
And, any writing at the bottom of the fork tubes, I'll see if I can get it for you.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!  I'll get you the info' this afternoon....

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »
<Hits self in head>  I think I know what it is.  Seeing each leg is stamped (very small) at the very bottom of each fork "KX-94" I am going to assume they are from '94.

I did measure the stanchions, top crown ID, and bottom crown ID.

Stanchions are; 46mm
  Top crown; 53.5mm
  Bottom crown; 58.5mm

I didn't take any length measurements after noticing the stamp on each leg.

Soooo, think I'm correct?

Also Sandblaster, any chance you have foot peg springs I could buy?  I see a pair with pegs on e-bay you have up, but do you have just springs you'd part with?

Thanks again,

B-
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 02:08:44 PM by RM_Rider14 »

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »
Hello.
The 94 KX500 used a 43mm chrome tube diameter so it has to be a 97-04 kx500 which is 46mm.
My 2000 KX500 has the exact same kx94 embossed on the bottom so I'm sure you have the correct forks on your bike.
Why you are having seal problems is another matter all together.
The seals were the same from 97-04.
If you are installing them correctly and you are using quality seals and oil, I would check the chrome fork tubes for any defects, flat spots, straightness, surface finish ect.
Make sure that the seals are in right side up, use new wipers, and be sure your fork guards are in good shape.
Other than that I would contact www.houseofhorsepower.com and talk with Richard.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 02:22:41 AM »
Hello.
The 94 KX500 used a 43mm chrome tube diameter so it has to be a 97-04 kx500 which is 46mm.
My 2000 KX500 has the exact same kx94 embossed on the bottom so I'm sure you have the correct forks on your bike.
Why you are having seal problems is another matter all together.
The seals were the same from 97-04.
If you are installing them correctly and you are using quality seals and oil, I would check the chrome fork tubes for any defects, flat spots, straightness, surface finish ect.
Make sure that the seals are in right side up, use new wipers, and be sure your fork guards are in good shape.
Other than that I would contact www.houseofhorsepower.com and talk with Richard.

Hmmmm.  What the F' is going on with the seals then?  I have used two sets now, both MSR kits w/dust cap etc.  The first time I changed them and they leaked I thought they were in upside down.  So I flipped them.  Still leaked.  I then bought the same seal kit and swapped them again, same thing they still leak. 

Offline don46

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:43:23 AM »
buy OEM's, more money but, I have heard of people having problems with the Moose and MSR seals.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:58:00 AM »
I know it's frustrating but I'd go with the OEM seals as well.
My original seals lasted for almost 10 years, all of which was in the sand  :-D

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 04:23:18 AM »

Also Sandblaster, any chance you have foot peg springs I could buy?  I see a pair with pegs on e-bay you have up, but do you have just springs you'd part with?

Thanks again,

B-

The foot peg springs fit the following bikes:
88-04 KX500, 88-96 KX125 KX250, 91 93-94 KDX250, 95-05 KDX200, 97-05 KDX220
PM me your mailing address and I'll shoot some your way.
Thanks!

Offline RM_Rider14

• RS4
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 05:10:51 AM »
You rock Sandblaster!  Also, thanks Don46.

Info e-mailed to you Sandblaster....

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 05:23:05 AM »
Got it.
Thanks!

Offline long_av8r

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 05:35:10 AM »
I have this problem on my RMZ.  Not sure why, but every time I come back from the desert, one or the other seal leaks.  Not always te same one.  I replaced them myself, and have done more seals than I can remember on all kinds of forks, never had one leak so I was sure it wasn't me.  Checked and double checked the tubes for rock damage and found none.  I figured there had to be sand or crud caught under the seal.  A buddy of mine said he had the same problem on his CR and used a tool by Motion Pro called Seal Mate.  It's just a small piece of plastic that slides under the seal and pulls any small crud out like sand.  Sure enough, I swiped them and they stopped leaking.  Works every time.  Sometimes it takes several tries, but eventually it works.  I guess some forks are more prone to crud than others.  My KX never had or had this problem, but the RMZ, constantly.  At any rate, before taking it apart again, it's worth a try.  i think the "tool" cost me like $5.
I'm with the government, I'm here to help.

Motorrad

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 05:55:30 AM »
I have this problem on my RMZ.  Not sure why, but every time I come back from the desert, one or the other seal leaks.  Not always te same one.  I replaced them myself, and have done more seals than I can remember on all kinds of forks, never had one leak so I was sure it wasn't me.  Checked and double checked the tubes for rock damage and found none.  I figured there had to be sand or crud caught under the seal.  A buddy of mine said he had the same problem on his CR and used a tool by Motion Pro called Seal Mate.  It's just a small piece of plastic that slides under the seal and pulls any small crud out like sand.  Sure enough, I swiped them and they stopped leaking.  Works every time.  Sometimes it takes several tries, but eventually it works.  I guess some forks are more prone to crud than others.  My KX never had or had this problem, but the RMZ, constantly.  At any rate, before taking it apart again, it's worth a try.  i think the "tool" cost me like $5.

Sounds like your not centering the forks after having wheel out etc...(bouncing up down with axle clamps loose. Running into wall etc)  Causing bind...