Author Topic: Spark problem  (Read 5656 times)

Rick

Spark problem
« on: March 03, 2003, 10:14:09 AM »
OK, here is one I can't figure out.  

Two weeks ago, while riding in the desert, I lost spark (I posted the story earlier, so won't go into any more detail).  After pulling the stator and cleaning the back, thought I had the thing fixed.

Round two:  A week ago at a regional desert race, I was pulling up to get tech inspected, and lost spark again.  I pushed big green back to the van, and started wrenching.  Forturnately, a friend had an extra KX500 along for the ride, so I pulled the entire electrical system and put on my bike.  Also, since the race start was delayed, I finished the swap with about 15 mintues to spare.  Worked great for the event, but had to give everything back after the race, so installed all of my old stuff.  During the week I pulled the stator again and cleaned everything with a dremel brush.  I also installed an NGK BR8EIX Iridium plug. Wow, what a difference in power delivery.  I have now switch from the platinum to the Iridium plug.

Rount three: I was in the desert practicing with my son yesterday, and after 40 miles, lost spark, again.  Just flat died on the trail.  We were setting up for the tow to the van, and I thought I would try and start.  Yup, you guessed it, she lite right up.  Ran for about 5 minutes, and lost spark again.

Since the dang thing won't just die, it is tough to know what is wrong.  Short of just buying a new electrical system, I'm looking for suggestions.  I have a spare KX500 in the garage, so I am going to swap one part at a time until one fails, but sure is going to be a drag towing the bike to the truck if it decides to die on another long ride.

Any thoughts?

Suicycle

Spark problem
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2003, 02:04:47 PM »
yamadog or and xr.  sorry i couldn't resist.  no idea here jsut looking  around.  good luck on finding it or help from other members.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Spark problem
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2003, 12:20:35 AM »
Hey Rick, might be a long shot on this one but I used to have a Ford truck that showed the same symptoms you're having and it was the coil spark cable (the one that looks like a spark plug wire). When the engine and under hood temps would get high enough the thing would just die. After it cooled down everything was fine.

Rick

Spark problem
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2003, 01:57:42 AM »
Good thought Paul.  That was kind of my reasoning with the stator.  Last summer, I dumped the ol' 5-0 in a river (twice)  :? while working out a crossing path.  Cost me 6 plugs, and about 2 hours getting it started again.  In the process, the stator got soaked, so I am a little concerned that this might be the problem.  Same goes for the coil.

My lead sponsor is buying the tester that Suziki (they have both the Suziki and Kawasaki dealerships) makes this week to check electrical components, so I will be running parts from the spare bike until next week.  I am a little concerned that testing will yield nothing because the problem is intermitent, in which case I will just swap parts one at a time until the problem goes away.  

I even thought about putting on a lighting system   :idea:  if I have to replace parts, as I get more bang for my buck this way (never had a light, but thought it would be cool.).  Does a lighting system require replacement of the stator and coil, or just one of the units?  

Thanks for the input.

Rick

moburki

Spark problem
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2003, 03:29:59 AM »
rick, i have had a bad ignition box that did this to me on a zx7 streetbike, although i'm sure youve already tried this.
mo

Rick

Spark problem
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2003, 08:53:07 AM »
Actually not tried anything yet, except to swap everything for the races.  I will begin to work on the individual diagnosis in about a week.  As mentioned before, I might just replace everything, and add lighting at the same time.  

Thanks for the input.

I hate electrical problems... :?

On another note, EVERYONE should try one of the new Iridium NGK plugs.  Kind of spendy, but WOW :shock:

Rick

sdkx500

Spark problem
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2003, 08:55:03 AM »
Hey Rick, I tried that iridium plug last weekend.  Worked great!  Sorry to hear about your electrical problem.  I had something like that once but it was just the spark plug wire not snapped on correctly.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Spark problem
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2003, 01:21:25 PM »
Rick, sounds like your stator, when it gets hot it kinda cuts out, I would test the Ohm's coming through it according to the manual's specs. I had the exact problem with a bike I had awhile ago and it ended up being the stator, I doubt it is the black box (CDI), nor the coil.. But, you are welcome to try, but my $100 is on the stator.... try swapping it, and/or testing it..