Author Topic: 89 works replica  (Read 14622 times)

Offline wills640

89 works replica
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:30:19 AM »
Some parts have arrived! Work is underway. :-D[img]

Offline tunster

Re: 89 works replica
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:38:14 PM »
where did you get the subframe will?

Offline jonny500

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:59:11 PM »
are you rich  :-o

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:11:39 AM »
How the hell did you get your mits on all that "unobtanium" ???  :-o
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline wills640

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:29:05 AM »
:lol:
Might be if it wasn't for bloody motorcycles! Hubs are made by a local company to me, Talon Engineering. Tank made by GMX, who are also making the radiators.
Subframe is AC.
Really lucky with the Shock, came from a local ex rider who had it in his shed since 1990!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »
:lol:
Might be if it wasn't for bloody motorcycles! Hubs are made by a local company to me, Talon Engineering. Tank made by GMX, who are also making the radiators.
Subframe is AC.
Really lucky with the Shock, came from a local ex rider who had it in his shed since 1990!

I thought I was going to read another "Destry Abbot ex-race bike barn find" !!!
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline jonny500

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:27:45 AM »
so my comment should have been 'were you rich before you bought that lot' lol. that is some very nice stuff, green with envy, excuse the pun. cant wait to see this build progress, its looks like its gona be good. is the bike to be riden/raced or a show piece?

Offline wills640

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:57:10 AM »
so my comment should have been 'were you rich before you bought that lot' lol. that is some very nice stuff, green with envy, excuse the pun. cant wait to see this build progress, its looks like its gona be good. is the bike to be riden/raced or a show piece?
Its being built to be raced, hope to race at the Vets des nations at Farliegh Castle in Sept. Spend most of my time on Tarmac, Roadracing these days but looking forward to getting out on this!
Not sure how far to go with the Motor, all sound, usual 3rd gear wear so will renew those, bore looks good, no play in big end. Tempted to just renew the worn gears, new piston, new mains and seals, and maybe a con rod. Going to leave the motor pretty standard but have a procircuit exhaust to fit.
Is there anything else I should be looking at Motor wise?

Offline jonny500

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 05:16:38 AM »
i dont have major experence with kx500 (i am rebuilding 1 now) from what i can gather the the big problem is the con rods snaping, so defo renew it with some thing good, not wiesico (made in china now). kips mod on here looks easy and worth doing, pm kawrider hes got some speicial bolts. i am having my crank dynamicley balanced by criss applebee engineering, i think vibrations are the big killer with big bore 2 strokes so that should help, also using oem gudeon pin as it is lighter than a wiesico pin but still using the wiesico piston as it lighter that oem and with the window mod its lighter still. i am hoping that by reducing vibration, and mass from the piston end of the conrod it should reduce the load on the con rod. all the above is found from this site, just though i would save you some time and let you know what to look for
all the best
john

Offline wills640

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:25 AM »
i dont have major experence with kx500 (i am rebuilding 1 now) from what i can gather the the big problem is the con rods snaping, so defo renew it with some thing good, not wiesico (made in china now). kips mod on here looks easy and worth doing, pm kawrider hes got some speicial bolts. i am having my crank dynamicley balanced by criss applebee engineering, i think vibrations are the big killer with big bore 2 strokes so that should help, also using oem gudeon pin as it is lighter than a wiesico pin but still using the wiesico piston as it lighter that oem and with the window mod its lighter still. i am hoping that by reducing vibration, and mass from the piston end of the conrod it should reduce the load on the con rod. all the above is found from this site, just though i would save you some time and let you know what to look for
all the best
john
Thanks John, that helps, didn't know about the rods breaking, looks like the original in mine. I think Hot-Rods make a kit, are they any good?
Hard to believe wiseco are having stuff made in China!? Surely they must knoew better.

Offline jonny500

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 06:03:28 AM »
i have had mixed messages about rods. some say theres no problem others say there is, about 50/50. i currently have a bent rod. i was full bore in 4th or 5th when i felt a little hesitation/weakness in the engine so in with the clutch and kill switch, quick sticks. stripped it to find the conrod bent so i am thinking there is some truth in this weak conrod thing. i am going to air on the side of caution as my motor will have cost a ?1000 + when done so i am gone do everything i can. hot rods are not good so i hear (never used 1 in anything). prox were the 1s to use but there not making them now (my still find one on the shelf). i purchase an oem from corby kwak and will be having it fitted and balanced by chris applebee's. i am going to ask if he can do the piston port for me if your interested in doing that, i think it has some good benifits, ie better top end cooling and lighter piston. my aim is to have a reliable motor with good usable power for mx not the fastest 500 in the world. i dont think thay need any more power for general mx use, i think thats where you want to be too?

Offline wills640

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:29 AM »
Some progress!

Offline jonny500

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:40 AM »
stunning!!! is a word that springs to mind :-o

Offline Goat

• Ride it like you stole it!
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 03:01:58 PM »
That looks gorgeous! Looking forward to watching the progress. Keep up the good work.
It's hard to keep a drivers license riding a 2 stroke dirt bike on the street.  If you drive within the law they are VERY boring.

Offline 1989kawasaki

• my 89 cr250
    • youtube
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
MORE PROGRESS :x :x :x :x :x :x
bikes

1977 RD400
1989 CR250
1988 CR500
1978 Z50
2009 Harley super glide custom