Author Topic: Late model twin chamber fork/front end to swap onto '99 KX500 ??  (Read 4505 times)

Offline joko

Late model twin chamber fork/front end to swap onto '99 KX500 ??
« on: December 31, 2010, 04:59:45 PM »
Has anyone swapped a late model front end to a 89-04 KX500 ? I'd like to get 47mm or 49mm twin chamber forks and decent brakes swapped on, would revalve/spring of course, but want to maintain the stock geometry....thanks!   

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Late model twin chamber fork/front end to swap onto '99 KX500 ??
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:28:54 PM »
Good topic.
I considered the same thing.
It should be possible with a set of forks, triple tree, front axle, front brake, and wheel.
I wondered if it would really make a usable improvement unless you could also update the shock as well.
I had my stock suspension completely redone for my weight and riding style which made a huge difference.
I also put a 320MM front brake rotor on it which really tuned up the stopping power.
To me it seems that the frame geometry is the limiting factor.
It's great for high speed whoops as I seem to always smoke by others in those area's but on the big jumps I've never been able to get comfortable on it.
Perhaps I'm just getting old  :wink:
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline joko

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:17:42 AM »
 I'm thinking the Kayaba SST forks on Yamaha '06-11 YZ/YZF's would be the best forks for ebay $'s, not sure how all relevant dimensions would compare ... 

Motorrad

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:03:43 PM »
I'm thinking the Kayaba SST forks on Yamaha '06-11 YZ/YZF's would be the best forks for ebay $'s, not sure how all relevant dimensions would compare ... 
I hear nothing but good about those forks.. 
Reason I went with 08 450 was to keep everything Kawasaki..  This made the conversion very easy.. 

I'm sure mr emig could make a stem to work with the us forks...

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »
Hi Motorrad.
I read though your posts and perhaps I missed it, but how did the fork conversion work out?
I have rode the K5 in stock form and also with the suspension dialed in by House of Horsepower for me.
Of course there is a major difference, so is your conversion better then having the stock forks re-valved, and sprung?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.