Author Topic: Baja Designs Kit  (Read 18316 times)

Offline kx5rider

Re: Baja Designs Kit
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 04:15:07 AM »
Brute,
The problem some dealers in WA are having plating bikes is on new ones. You have to have an existing title in your name to get it converted, they cannot get it done on the mso or if the title is not in the dealerships name which it never is.

As far as plating them all you have to do is go to a licensing place or online and get the 2 forms, then once everything is met (dot tires, headlight, taillight, brakelight, 2 mirrors, horn and reflector) you can take it do a dealership who can charge $100 to sign off on the inspection. The shop does not have to be certified, just a legit shop but what is keeping some from doing it is they have to sign off on the liability. After they have signed off and you have signed off you mail in your title and the paperwork, give them a cut and good to go!

Glad I saw this because I'm plating my 500 supermoto and was wondering what to do about lighting it up, right now I just have the little moose 35 watt, thinking that 100 watt would be the ticket! Or maybe one of the new lightweight powerfull batteries that are out and put it on a trickle at night, then the little 35 watt could give it a little charge. Not like I'm gonna be riding it distances!
braaaaaaaaap

Offline alward25

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
In Idaho you could get a cop to do the inspection, if you have a buddy.....
"Let there be light"

Offline jgturbo

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Motorrad, I stumbled on a pic of your bike while researching dual sport KX500s a couple weeks ago. That thing looks sweet! I ended up buying a plated KX500 last weekend with the hopes to make is something like yours.

Anyway, PM sent too.

Thanks man!
-Jake

Motorrad

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
Motorrad, I stumbled on a pic of your bike while researching dual sport KX500s a couple weeks ago. That thing looks sweet! I ended up buying a plated KX500 last weekend with the hopes to make is something like yours.

Anyway, PM sent too.

Thanks man!
-Jake

Did you find it on here? or on Advrider?    only 2 places there are pics of it posted.  :-D

Offline jgturbo

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
I can't remember where I found the pics. I wasn't a member of this site yet and I had saved them on my computer. After I bought my KX, I started looking around trying to find whose it was. The pics I have are out in the desert on a stand with a black front rim and silver rear rim. I vaguely recall the mention of a KX450 front end, but your tank and shrouds have got me stumped. How... how you doin that?

You don't happen to have a build thread do you?

Motorrad

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:11 PM »
I can't remember where I found the pics. I wasn't a member of this site yet and I had saved them on my computer. After I bought my KX, I started looking around trying to find whose it was. The pics I have are out in the desert on a stand with a black front rim and silver rear rim. I vaguely recall the mention of a KX450 front end, but your tank and shrouds have got me stumped. How... how you doin that?

You don't happen to have a build thread do you?

there are a few strewn about..

entire front end is 2008 KX450  DLC coated Goodness...
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,6712.0.html

few others
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,8717.0.html

Tank pipe combo is a "zip-ty" kit..

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 08:10:35 AM »
Went out to the shop and dug around. Found my stash of LED turn signals (3pair) and some other stuff. Have some stock ninja signals as well. Also found a front mini fairing with two headlights in it. Hey! It still works! Pretty sure I have a horn someplace. I know I have a bunch of micro switches, couple of mirrors. Picked up a pair of stock hubs to lace with 17's so I am good there. Looks like a good start! Got a buddy that raced for Cagiva that is itching to ride it already. I think he was actually salivating!
Things Are More Like They Are Today Then They Have Ever Been Before...

Offline alward25

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:30:24 PM »
I have not found any of Baja Designs stuff to be worth a crap.  Real cheap Chinese made plastic and electronics, mostly switches and blinkers.  Check out http://highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/   Some great stuff,  blinkers and switches are sweet and very tough.  Taillights, there are a few options.  I have run the BD/Tusk, same light, and is is OK but to inside fills with mud.  If you are only doing supermoto stuff it would be fine.  The Polisport is a lot smaller and very bright.  But, I broke the plate holder off my last race.  It does not take jumps and whoops well with a plate on it.  But, fine for supermoto.  I get the wiring kit from Rocky Mountain and customize everything else.

Good luck,
Brute, Should have your "other stuff" sorted out and sent out to you soon :wink:

Alex
"Let there be light"

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 01:51:55 PM »
Thanks man! won't need the 'super stator' for a bit with all the other things I have to make. Having already done one I have some ideas, but I sold the last one before I pounded on it much, so don't really know the 'long term' of the stuff I made for it. The last one was fun to figure out, so I am sure I will enjoy this one as well. I have not found a tail/brake in my stuff, so I will go to the site and check it out. Thanks!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2012, 04:07:11 PM »
Was poking around for wheels/hubs and came across a lighting kit from ProCycle http://www.procycle.us/ in Oregon. Anyone know anything about them? I need a brake/tail piece and they give a couple of options. Good prices on the other stuff I need as well.
Still planning on keeping my dirt tires and wheels so I can change back. Is the 320mm brake rotor worth the effort for street/motard? Getting fired up about it! This will be fun!

Offline alward25

"Let there be light"

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
Was poking around for wheels/hubs and came across a lighting kit from ProCycle http://www.procycle.us/ in Oregon. Anyone know anything about them? I need a brake/tail piece and they give a couple of options. Good prices on the other stuff I need as well.
Still planning on keeping my dirt tires and wheels so I can change back. Is the 320mm brake rotor worth the effort for street/motard? Getting fired up about it! This will be fun!

Yes, I know Jeff the owner of ProCycle and several of his employees.
Top notch shop with excellent customer service.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline dirtjunkie85

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 09:40:48 AM »
I'd love to have a street legal bike like that. Not exactly a commuter but definitely a lot better than a harley or something of the sort!!

Offline Brute

• 787 ZA005 GE
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
Got a good front hub last week. Picked up the rear this morning from a local guy. There always is a point in a project where it 'comes alive' for me and I can 'visualize' and 'hear' the bike, whatever it is. That was this morning after I picked up the wheel/hub. Had a grin on my face and heard (in my head) the sweet sound of the K5 pounding away in street trim. Talked to the guy I will use for inspection (Coyote Offroad) about some of the specifics. Might even get it done this year if I get some of my other projects done. Wife is taking a riders course this weekend, so finishing her bike will be first priority.