Author Topic: kx 85 piston problem  (Read 3052 times)

Offline s5pablos

kx 85 piston problem
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »
just got my hands on a little 85 needed a set of rings, changed those along with the gudgin pin top n bottom gaskets and little end bearing it was runnin when i took it apart now when iv put it together the piston is clearing top of barrel and hitting the head i havent changed anything major on the bike to cause this and cant understand why its happened, can anyone help??? please!   

Offline s5pablos

Re: kx 85 piston problem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »
iv put the old head gasket on top of the new one and its not hiitin it now, will this affect its performance or compression???

Offline jonny500

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:19:48 AM »
you should not use 2 head gaskets, as it will be likley to leak. if it was my bike i would order some oem gaskets, head and base. as they will be more accurate in thickness. assemble the engine and measure the squish band properly and go from there. if you dont know how to measure the squish post again and i can post some photos and instructions. there is more than likely a thread on here all ready

Offline s5pablos

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:23:29 AM »
id b really grateful if ya could as i ant got a clue mate cheers, put genuine kawasaki parts bk in it was wondering if they got thicker as they got newer cos i had idea it was 03 so got 03 parts, i got told silver frame started on tht yr and thts what it has

Offline jonny500

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 08:40:25 AM »
call a kawasaki main dealer, give them your frame number and they will give you a definate year. i would say if the head gasket fits its the right one but they may have changed the thickness between years. if you are in the uk corby kawasaki have been helpfull for me over the years 01536 401010 is there number. also post some photos of your bike and the head and barrel stripped down.